What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - West Side Story (2021) -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Having spent much of my childhood in New York City's West Side tenements, I always took great glee when I noted Puerto Rican gang members making their way down our street, and them suddenly breaking into ballet moves.

"You don't mess with those guys," I used to think.

Many won't realize, because it's an old film, that this West Side Story is based upon a 1961 film directed by Robert Wise, and...

Many of the songs used in that film, are repeated here, some with different settings, and by different actors. Choreography is noticeably different.

Bottom line, it's very much a re-imagining, strangely with actors of Hispanic heritage in those roles.

In many ways, it's a wonderful accompaniment to In the Heights.

As a 4k UHD Blu-ray, it's beautiful, with audio in full-blown Dolby Atmos. Shot on 35mm film, and finished as a 4k DI, it makes full use of its 4k-edness. Color, grain structure, black levels and stability are all perfect.

But then again, it's a Spielberg film, and one would expect that.

Image – 5 (HDR)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 5

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks