What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ West Side Story -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
A friend of mine thinks the on set video recording of America is a fake. I disagree. However . I would think though that they would have rules about taking pictures especially on a Spielberg set.

They look “off” to me somehow. Like it looks like a made for tv musical like the 1990s Bye Bye Birdie.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I think the switch from film to digital photography has something to do with that. And these are just press photos anyway, not even actual film screenshots, and even the credibility of those is debatable at best.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
This can't be Spielberg.

I felt the same way about A.I.: Artifical Intelligence; he tried to find a middle ground between Stanley Kubrick and Walt Disney and failed. Except I didn't feel that way going into it. For this, I feel nothing*. They already re-did The Sound of Music twice, so other than a monumental lapse in good taste, common sense, and concern for what moviegoers actually want to see, what's stopping them from doing this?

If Spielberg wants to do a musical, then he should have picked one without a movie already.

Rewriting Arthur Laurents and Ernest Lehman together is a risky business.

Shhh! You might just enable Risky Business: The Musical with that. :D

*They could have taped the Broadway revival or the national tour. They didn't. They could have taped the Hollywood bowl production. They didn't.

Last edited:

Marco S

Stunt Coordinator
Just make this version a TV movie and everyone will be happy. Sell it to Netflix or ABC or the new apple TV.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Rewriting Arthur Laurents and Ernest Lehman together is a risky business.
True. But, then again, so was Shakespeare.

IMHO, the most intriguing aspect of this remake will be the Tony Kushner script.
What newer conversations and insights will he bring forth to themes already established?
Rest assured, for Mr. Kushner knows exactly what's a stake here;
as he knows and understands the very roots of this production.
Yes, I do believe that Mr. Kushner will have something of importance to say and add to this classic.

So, fear not, as we are dealing with a Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright;
a recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom award;
and the man who penned Steven Spielberg's "Munich" and "Lincoln",
both of which were nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
True. But, then again, so was Shakespeare.

IMHO, the most intriguing aspect of this remake will be the Tony Kushner script.
What newer conversations and insights will he bring forth to themes already established?
Rest assured, for Mr. Kushner knows exactly what's a stake here;
as he knows and understands the very roots of this production.
Yes, I do believe that Mr. Kushner will have something of importance to say and add to this classic.

So, fear not, as we are dealing with a Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright;
a recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom award;
and the man who penned Steven Spielberg's "Munich" and "Lincoln",
both of which were nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay.

And the author of one of the most important plays of the twentieth century: "Angels in America"

Reactions: PMF

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Maybe they are using the Spanish dialogue changes. I noticed that at the bottom of the IMDB Cast and Crew page that Lin-Manuel Miranda got a "Thanks." I mean, it's IMDB, so take that into account, but I suppose it's very possible. Interesting. Honestly, any film remake would need to rewrite the book/script somewhat into something better suited to a modern audience. The show is a classic, but the dialogue is very, VERY dated, Daddy-O.

Chelsearicky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Barrett-Olson
Maybe they are using the Spanish dialogue changes. I noticed that at the bottom of the IMDB Cast and Crew page that Lin-Manuel Miranda got a "Thanks." I mean, it's IMDB, so take that into account, but I suppose it's very possible. Interesting. Honestly, any film remake would need to rewrite the book/script somewhat into something better suited to a modern audience. The show is a classic, but the dialogue is very, VERY dated, Daddy-O.
If this new version takes place in the mid fifties, as the original did, the dialogue would be appropriately contemporary to the period. WSS has long been a period piece now.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
If this new version takes place in the mid fifties, as the original did, the dialogue would be appropriately contemporary to the period. WSS has long been a period piece now.

Arthur Laurents discusses how he used dialogue that SOUNDED contemporary and hip but really was an effort at being timeless. He didn't want to date himself. It will be interesting to see what Mr. Kushner comes up with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks