What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ West Side Story -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
And I hope they fix the darned overture! That is my favorite part of the whole movie and they butchered it!
Ya outta check out the CD of Bernstein's "West Side Story Suite". It's such an aching work of beauty, it'll bring tears to your eyes.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
From a James Bond thread there was a link to an article about how MGM may be for sale and that Sony is maybe interested. That would be great for film restoration of the United Artist library of films including West Side, The Alamo ( if not too late) and others. Lots of ifs but one can always hope.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/mgm-using-james-bond-rights-as-leverage-a-sale-1099472
A very strong vision has entered my mind's eye and ear. I'm sitting at a theater and a trailer fades in with a powerful music swell and a deep-voiced narrator that speaks the following: "Robert A. Harris, Grover Crisp and Sony Pictures proudly presents "The Alamo". Now you can experience this John Wayne epic for the truly first time. Once thought to be lost forever, "The Alamo" has now been saved. See it as you have never seen it before. Hear it as you have never heard it before. And experience it, as no one has ever done before.
"The Alamo"...now...in all its fully and meticulously restored 70mm and 6-Track glory. Remember the legend. Remember the Duke. But most of all, remember "The Alamo".

Last edited:

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I am sure that plenty of us at HTF would love to hear that message intoned from the screen for many of our hard to see favorites. Let's hope it will come to pass for all the neglected classics we love.

Reactions: PMF

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
A very strong vision has entered my mind's eye and ear. I'm sitting at a theater and a trailer fades in with a powerful music swell and a deep-voiced narrator that speaks the following: "Robert A. Harris, Grover Crisp and Sony Pictures proudly presents "The Alamo". Now you can experience this John Wayne epic for the truly first time. Once thought to be lost forever, "The Alamo" has now been saved. See it as you have never seen it before. Hear it as you have never heard it before. And experience it, as no one has before.
"The Alamo"...now...in all its fully and meticulously restored 70mm and 6-Track glory. Remember the legend. Remember the Duke. But most of all, remember "The Alamo".

That would be exciting. However beating it's showing at the Rivoli in 1960 will be impossible to beat...

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
That would be exciting. However beating it's showing at the Rivoli in 1960 will be impossible to beat...
Only you would know; but RAH is certain to give 1960 a good run for its money...and, I suspect, then some.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas

I dunno...At this point, assuming RAH and/or whatever restoration team were to (hypothetically) get the green light next week, it'll be a miracle if we get a "semi"-restoration in faux 70mm (if that's even possible).. The elements were already in pretty rough shape 5 yrs ago, to say nothing of today..

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I dunno...At this point, assuming RAH and/or whatever restoration team were to (hypothetically) get the green light next week, it'll be a miracle if we get a "semi"-restoration in faux 70mm (if that's even possible), to say nothing of full restoration. The elements were already in pretty rough shape 5 yrs ago, to say nothing of today..
Was it not a miracle that Gary Barber was finally removed from his own MGM fortress? Or that of the second wave of restorations and BDs we so enjoyed within "Spartacus", "Lawrence of Arabia" and "My Fair Lady"? It ain't over till its over.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Wouldn't it be ironic if, years down the road, Gary Barber ended up needing Robert Harris for a restoration of "Seabiscuit"?:D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks