What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Ten Commandments -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell /forum/thread/309607/a-few-words-about-the-ten-commandments-in-blu-ray/30#post_3791176

Mike Frezon sets up his state of the art wire recorder prior to the start of Anchors Away (1945)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
In my teen years, I would sneak a reel to reel into the theatre where I worked, stick it behind the screen and set the mic near the center speaker. I ended up with soundtracks from GONE WITH THE WIND, THE WIZARD OF OZ, WHAT'S UP DOC, AIRPORT and PAINT YOUR WAGON! I had a lot of fun trying to get back behind the screen during the intermission of GWTW to change tape reels. I still have those lying around somewhere. I would play those things until my parents would holler at me to stop, then I would just turn them down. A funny note in that the theatre had a real squeaky curtain and you could hear that thing open on the tapes. Wish I could still see a curtain open in front of a screen today.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Excellent review RAH. One of my childhood favorites. Whenever on TV, I always seemed to tune in.....took all day to watch it LOL but a real cinematic treasure.

Thanks!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Great read, Mr Harris. I'm glad to see this film got the proper restoration. I hope the same person would eventually work on one of my favorite film series and do justice to Mr. Robert Wise certain Trek to the stars 2001 Directors Edition version. Speaking of audio recordings, I used a mini cassette recorder to get the audio a few times too!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I even did it off TV a few times. Ah, those golden days before home video.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

It took two tries over a years period, but I finally got a decent soundtrack of SOME LIKE IT HOT on audio tape. Now when I purchase the Blu-ray that will be the third DVD version after two Laserdiscs and two VHS copies. Where does the time go.

I have an audio tape with American Bandstand playing in the background...the special guests were The Village People.

Marco S

Stunt Coordinator
I would attach alligator clips to the rear of the Zenith 27" color TV speaker connections-The other side was a mini jack which I put in the mike input of my old Panasonic 7" reel to reel. I got the sound tracks from Oklahoma, Cinderella, Guys & Dolls, Charlie Brown Christmas and The King Family Shows. And sometimes I would pause during the commercials.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Additional kudos must go out to Paramount for crediting not only the post production facilities which performed the actual restorative work on The Ten Commandments, but also in bringing to the fore, as part of the Restoration Credits, their own staff.

In the past, while studio names have been available, they have not been officially credited. I understand the studio ethic involved.

I may be incorrect, but I believe this may be the first case of a studio providing actual credits for a restoration not performed by an outside archivist, and if this is the beginning of a trend, I'm pleased by it.

RAH

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mr. Harris

I have an interesting question for you....perhaps.

Started watching THE TEN COMMANDMENTS last

evening. Finished through disc one and look forward

to the second part this afternoon.

Only saw this film once prior to this viewing, well
over a decade ago, so the film seems very new to

me still.

I am enjoying it immensely. Cannot believe how

great the restoration looks. I have yet to see one

single scratch or abrasion on the print. Just remarkable

how a film from the 50s could look as if it was shot today.

...but I had a question for you, didn't I.....

The only thing that kind of took me out of the film
was the blue screen backgrounds that clearly looked

separated from the foreground action. The best example

I have seen thus far is when young Prince Moses shows

Sethi the city he has built for him.

I understand the limitations of the effects at that time.

My question is, did audiences in the 50s see the effect

seams that we in 2011 are seeing or is the Blu-ray revealing

a lot more information than what was supposed to be seen?

I may already have the answer, as we briefly talked about

THE WIZARD OF OZ and how Munchkinland on Blu-ray

clearly looks as if it was shot on a sound stage -- something

that wasn't as apparent through DVD and broadcast viewings.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

Mr. Harris

I have an interesting question for you....perhaps.

Started watching THE TEN COMMANDMENTS last

evening. Finished through disc one and look forward

to the second part this afternoon.

Only saw this film once prior to this viewing, well
over a decade ago, so the film seems very new to

me still.

I am enjoying it immensely. Cannot believe how

great the restoration looks. I have yet to see one

single scratch or abrasion on the print. Just remarkable

how a film from the 50s could look as if it was shot today.

...but I had a question for you, didn't I.....

The only thing that kind of took me out of the film
was the blue screen backgrounds that clearly looked

separated from the foreground action. The best example

I have seen thus far is when young Prince Moses shows

Sethi the city he has built for him.

I understand the limitations of the effects at that time.

My question is, did audiences in the 50s see the effect

seams that we in 2011 are seeing or is the Blu-ray revealing

a lot more information than what was supposed to be seen?

I may already have the answer, as we briefly talked about

THE WIZARD OF OZ and how Munchkinland on Blu-ray

clearly looks as if it was shot on a sound stage -- something

that wasn't as apparent through DVD and broadcast viewings.

Your question has a multi part answer.

The first involves the original dye transfer prints, the methodology behind those prints, and how they changed over the decades.

The short answer is that yes, audiences in 1956, myself included, saw the matte lines, the dirt, and the instability in the frame.

Here is where it gets a bit more complex.

There were basically two looks for The Ten Commandments, and they were quite different.

The original 1956 release had a slightly more velvety texture, and lower contrast, which, by virtue of the fact that contrast adds

apparent sharpness, hid the effects a bit better than on later prints.

The re-issue prints, most from the early 1970s, were printed in a slightly different way. If you see one, the giveaway is that the frame

lines, which were printed separately in 1956 in black & white, are dye in later prints. The prints themselves have a totally different look,

which can be seen even on a bench from a foot or more away. It is the later prints that had increased contrast, color, and more pronounced

and obvious effects.

The reference used for the restoration was a re-issue print, hence the Blu-ray has a higher contrast level than the original film

in 1956. Because of that, the effects needed a bit more of a digital massage, which, to my eye, was rendered beautifully. No matter what one

does, there is no getting around the fact that the effects were awkwardly, 1950s state of the art. And as such can lead to many a sleepless

night of archival decision making.

You make note of Oz, but there is a difference. The effects were absolutely on display in 1956, more so by the '70s, and were exacerbated by

the 4k data scan from the OCN, as they were partially lost and hidden in the dye transfer process, the reduction printing of the matrices, the

imbibition of the liquid metal dyes, and the overall softening of the image as a part of that process. In the 4k scan, where everything else

appears sharper than it did in original prints, the effects become a thorn.

In original prints of Oz, due again to the dye transfer process, the use of added black & white record, and the overall softness of those the

process in those early years, the offending wires, etc. would not have been noticed by a contemporary audience.

Last thought. The rear screen work on the original would have had occasional dirt, scratches, etc., which has all be cleaned up digitally.

The movement between background and production footage is unavoidable. The entire cleanup was beautifully done, inclusive of an odd

type of emulsion damage, which probably occurred in Technicolor's printers, as it can be seen on various VVLA productions. These scratches

needed to be fixed frame by frame, and again, the work has been performed either at MPI in Burbank, which did the entire restoration,

or through them by others, transparently. The amount of work involved is far more than most anyone can imagine.

RAH

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
RAH,

Fascinating explanation. I do thank you.

Looking forward to watching the second part of

the film today. I am thoroughly enjoying this film

on Blu-ray and commend Paramount's team for

an exceptionally well-done job.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Finished the film earlier this afternoon.

Even though the seams in the effects stood

out like a sore thumb I was still very impressed

with the magnitude of the entire parting of the

Red Sea. I think a lot of it has to do with the

quality of this transfer and how immersed you

become in the film watching it on a large display.

That entire Red Sea effects sequence is still

awesome to watch 55 years later.

I can totally understand how the public looked

to these movies for their "escape" factor. Today

we just "escape" in our own homes.

Took a look at this. WOW!! I never knew that the background for the Overture, Intermission, and Exit Music was leather! It was always just a plain red background before. One word to describe the image: lush. Just really full and vibrant. On a personal note, this is one of my favorite films and to see and hear perfection like this is what almost never happens (due to many reasons, some of which are unavoidable). These are the rare times when having a love of films pays off and moves me.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Help I just finished my box set and I have two making of miracles. I checked my 50th and found a 6 part doc on the movie. Should i have two making of miracles????

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
should i hang on which was my plan anyway to the 50th and is documentrary more of the same from making of???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks