What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Best Years of Our Lives -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Mark VH

Second Unit
If WB isn't going to release the restoration on disc - and given that they've already released the film twice on Blu-ray I probably wouldn't blame them - I'd love to see them license it to someone like Criterion. This film - my favorite - has inexplicably never gotten the special edition it deserves in the post-DVD era, so it'd be great if someone takes the opportunity to make that happen.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Surprised somebody would steal a large amount of prints and to be sold but i guess that's Hollywood. Happy to see The Best Years of Our Lives looking a little better.
That's a type in H'wood for sure. Raymond Rohauer for one. Not just film elements but photos and other things from many of the major studios/production companies. It's collecting and hoarding. One recent major auction with items from a FX guy was loaded with presumably pilfered photos (among other things of dubious provenance.) There's no way those images were given away or sold. They were content and were taken (maybe w permission by someone who had no authority to actually give them away.) I worked in the photo department at a major studio for many years. I was told that a major stills collector was given carte blanche to take 4x5 transparencies and original prints from the phot library as they were just gathering dust. Before home video, many of those photo assets were perceived to not have too much value and were not archived or saved in any organized way.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tonight on TCM they are broadcasting the world premiere of the 2021 restoration of the film done by Academy Film Archive, Library of Congress and The Film Foundation. I pulled out my 2013 Blu-ray and did a quick comparison of a few scenes and the new restoration is a big improvement with a cleaner brighter image. Looks very nice since and have seen the film a dozen times and more and will look forward when it is released on disc.

View attachment 212178
I finally got around to watching the TCM recording of this 2021 restoration. It looked beautiful on my OLED. It's such a great film that I hope Warner would re-issue another Blu-ray release derived from this 2021 restoration. The differences between the 2013 Blu-ray and this latest restoration are significant to me.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I finally got around to watching the TCM recording of this 2021 restoration. It looked beautiful on my OLED. It's such a great film that I hope Warner would re-issue another Blu-ray release derived from this 2021 restoration. The differences between the 2013 Blu-ray and this latest restoration are significant to me.
This is great to hear regarding this restoration, but I can’t understand why it’s not being released. World premier three years after the work was done?

Its’s wonderful the work was done for preservation, but If it’s not going to be released, who was this restoration for? If a film is restored in the forest…

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
This is great to hear regarding this restoration, but I can’t understand why it’s not being released. World premier three years after the work was done?

Its’s wonderful the work was done for preservation, but If it’s not going to be released, who was this restoration for? If a film is restored in the forest…
The world premiere was 3 years ago at L'immagine ritrovata film festival in Italy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Warner didn’t finance this restoration. It was financed by other entities for preservation purposes. With that said, I expect TCM to show this restoration going forward whenever they have this movie on their schedule. I’m hoping that Warner will reissue another Blu-ray release derived from this restoration.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
The world premiere was 3 years ago at L'immagine ritrovata film festival in Italy.
Thank you. I based that comment on the following post from Feb 7

Tonight on TCM they are broadcasting the world premiere of the 2021 restoration of the film done by Academy Film Archive, Library of Congress and The Film Foundation. I pulled out my 2013 Blu-ray and did a quick comparison of a few scenes and the new restoration is a big improvement with a cleaner brighter image....

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Thank you. I based that comment on the following post from Feb 7
I was streaming films from the festival at Bologna, Italy, and the gentleman from the Academy Archive who introduced the film @ TCM spoke about the restoration during an interview prior to the screening. BTW, it was shown theatrically, but not streamed. I watched many other streams, and rued the fact that Best Years of Our Lives was not streamed.
Mind you, the statement @tcm that it was the world premiere might have referred to the world television premiere.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This thread and the recent posts of the restoration has me curious now. I have the 2013 blu ray, and I know Warner released a blu ray in 2020 from the Warner Archive. If I recall correctly, RAH felt it wasn’t an improvement over the 2013 disc, though I’m curious to see the Warner Archive disc. But based on the comments here, the 2021 restoration is the real improved version that not available on disc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread and the recent posts of the restoration has me curious now. I have the 2013 blu ray, and I know Warner released a blu ray in 2020 from the Warner Archive. If I recall correctly, RAH felt it wasn’t an improvement over the 2013 disc, though I’m curious to see the Warner Archive disc. But based on the comments here, the 2021 restoration is the real improved version that not available on disc.
That 2020 Blu-ray was a re-issue of the 2013 Blu-ray except it was issued by Warner Archieve instead of Warner Home Video. No differences presentation-wise.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the confirmation Robert! I think the main benefit of the Warner Archive edition was the cover art being the theatrical poster art.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Warner didn’t finance this restoration. It was financed by other entities for preservation purposes. With that said, I expect TCM to show this restoration going forward whenever they have this movie on their schedule. I’m hoping that Warner will reissue another Blu-ray release derived from this restoration.
Who financed, and by that I mean wrote checks to labs?

MUFC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Some of the best scans I’ve ever had on my screen.
I welled up a couple of times. The photography knocked me for six. The restoration took about six months.

MUFC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Plus Covid lock down kicked in during that and then Invaders.
Loved it. My favourite year!

I’d been practicing social distancing since eight or so.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks