What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Best Years of Our Lives -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Tonight on TCM they are broadcasting the world premiere of the 2021 restoration of the film done by Academy Film Archive, Library of Congress and The Film Foundation. I pulled out my 2013 Blu-ray and did a quick comparison of a few scenes and the new restoration is a big improvement with a cleaner brighter image. Looks very nice since and have seen the film a dozen times and more and will look forward when it is released on disc.

IMG_1688.JPG

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Was very happy to have them on laserdisc years ago and still have them. I hope if there is another disc release a commentary will be included.

Reactions: PMF

JSLasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Steven Lasher
Tonight on TCM they are broadcasting the world premiere of the 2021 restoration of the film done by Academy Film Archive, Library of Congress and The Film Foundation. I pulled out my 2013 Blu-ray and did a quick comparison of a few scenes and the new restoration is a big improvement with a cleaner brighter image. Looks very nice since and have seen the film a dozen times and more and will look forward when it is released on disc.

View attachment 212178
What a truly timeless film. And that monumental music score by Hugo Friedhofer. Won an Oscar for him, which was richly deserved.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren

View attachment 212178
“If”

Jimbo.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dimitrios
I didn’t care too much for this movie the first time I watched it on TCM because I really dislike war movies, but it must have been Robert Osborne’s favorite film because they played it constantly during his tenure there. I then watched it several times over the years and now have the highest regard for it. Yes, it is long, but it is a richly textured movie that speaks, even today, for the toll war takes on the lives of people in combat and the difficulties servicemen have in re-entering the non-military world.

I’m happy to see that a new print is now showing on TCM.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I am maybe little confused about what was said during the host introduction to the new restoration of the film. The Academy used the same 4K scan that Warner Bros made of the nitrate interpositive element mostly found at the Library of Congress with one reel found at the Academy in 2013.
In 2013 Warner Bros finished it in 2K and now The Academy has finished it in 4K? Is that the difference from the blu ray? In 2020 they said they tested doing a new scan of the interpositive using modern equipment but found there was little difference between the 2020 scan and the 2013 scan so they used the 2013 scan. Watch TCM is streaming the new restoration' It is available until February 12th. The restoration introduction plays ahead of the film when you click on play button. If you click on host introduction button you will see an older introduction to the film which is also worth seeing.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

JSLasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Steven Lasher
I'm always astounded by the audio design in the sequence in the nose of the plane in the junkyard sequence. Just magnificent.

RAH
Yes, and don’t forget Hugo Friedhofer’s magnificent music score, which empowers the scene.
I never liked this film. I call it “the boring years of our lives.”

But, the performances are good… especially Russell.

But if It is released again with a new transfer, I’ll get it.
You negative comments are yours alone; and I do mean alone!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I knew about this restoration since it was announced in 2021 when it was shown at L'immagine ritrovata in Bologna. I watched the film again via TCM live West Coast. I can't help but say that this is one the greatest US films ever made, and it's Wyler's best, pace Ben-Hur.
The film is filled with so many subtle grace notes and extraordinary performances! And I'm moved to tears by so many sequences! I just don't tire of re-watching this 170-minute film that goes by in an instant, much like today's Oppenheimer, and unlike Killers of the Flower Moon.
My first viewing was at the Regency in NYC, a beautiful 35mm print (don't know the vintage). Watching it in the big screen was overwhelming, particularly the justly famous sequence at the airplane junkyard. A masterpiece of scoring, camera movement, editing and acting, and the fitting climax to the film. The final sequence plays like a coda in a well-structured symphony. There are no false notes in this film.
Still relevant after all these years.

JSLasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Steven Lasher
I knew about this restoration since it was announced in 2021 when it was shown at L'immagine ritrovata in Bologna. I watched the film again via TCM live West Coast. I can't help but say that this is one the greatest US films ever made, and it's Wyler's best, pace Ben-Hur.
The film is filled with so many subtle grace notes and extraordinary performances! And I'm moved to tears by so many sequences! I just don't tire of re-watching this 170-minute film that goes by in an instant, much like today's Oppenheimer, and unlike Killers of the Flower Moon.
My first viewing was at the Regency in NYC, a beautiful 35mm print (don't know the vintage). Watching it in the big screen was overwhelming, particularly the justly famous sequence at the airplane junkyard. A masterpiece of scoring, camera movement, editing and acting, and the fitting climax to the film. The final sequence plays like a coda in a well-structured symphony. There are no false notes in this film.
Still relevant after all these years.
We can thank Hugo Friedhofer’s Oscar-winning music score for enhancing the film in so many scenes.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you are too dense to know I’m not about to fill you in.
We don’t allow such insults here. On your return, please, adjust your posting behavior towards other HTF members without being overly aggressive, insulting and just plain rude towards others you disagree with. We try to maintain a respectful and courteous community on the HTF. Some of your recent comments towards other people doesn’t meet that criteria.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A general note regarding the Goldwyn library, and why some films have archival problems.

Some years ago, a large number of Goldwyn protection FGMs and studio reference prints were stolen and sold to a collector. That collector sold his entire library of what he presumed were prints, to a university. I recall receiving a call from the gentleman asking why numerous Goldwyn titles looked murky and sounded bad in projection, and were in single 1000’ units.

A number of years later, the entire collection moved to another institution.

Fortunately, it now resides within the walls of an archive. But it’s still stolen goods.

I made the owners aware of this a number of years ago, before it was purchased and went to the archive.

No one cared to do anything about it.

An interesting mindset.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
A general note regarding the Goldwyn library, and why some films have archival problems.

Some years ago, a large number of Goldwyn protection FGMs and studio reference prints were stolen and sold to a collector. That collector sold his entire library of what he presumed were prints, to a university. I recall receiving a call from the gentleman asking why numerous Goldwyn titles looked murky and sounded bad in projection, and were in single 1000’ units.

A number of years later, the entire collection moved to another institution.

Fortunately, it now resides within the walls of an archive. But it’s still stolen goods.

I made the owners aware of this a number of years ago, before it was purchased and went to the archive.

No one cared to do anything about it.

An interesting mindset.
Surprised somebody would steal a large amount of prints and to be sold but i guess that's Hollywood. Happy to see The Best Years of Our Lives looking a little better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks