What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ Invaders from Mars – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Full disclosure. I saw Invaders from Mars as a kid and hated it. It was an ultra-low budget affair in a color process that looked like crap. Even then I noticed shadows as actors walked too close to the background cyc.

I saw it on DVD years later, and that didn't solve anything.

Now, well over a quarter of a century after its release, the film has undergone a body-off restoration, with every nut and bolt affected, using all of the available original negative, plus bits and pieces of other film to round out the 73 minutes.

And at least to these eyes, it's a different film.

The reason is two-fold.

And the two go hand-in-hand.

The use of the 1953 OCN for a large part of the film works beautifully as the early 5248 stock holds up far better than later 48. The color is all there.

On top of that, the fact that Scott MacQueen has supervised the work, with a beautiful image harvest by Roundabout Entertainment, and created a Blu-ray that exceeds my expectations.

It also doesn’t hurt that David Mackenzie did the compression.

Even more so, as with full grain structure in projection, I was assured that I was viewing 4k.

I wasn't.

The Blu-ray variant has so much information that (as with so many films of this era) I'm comfortable leaving 4k for those who revel in seeing another 4k disc on their shelf.

Dupes are still dupes, and they are what they are, but I never noted anything with real problems. A bit of digital clean-up that may have gone a touch too far, but again, nothing that will either be problematic or been even noted from a normal viewing distance.

The disc is also laden with extras which I'll not get into.

I'm certain that fans will be more than pleased by the efforts of Ignite.

And for the record, this review is based upon a physical Blu-ray disc and not any type of streaming. So... for those who have ordered, discs should very soon be in hand.

Image – 4

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Works up-rezzed to 4k - Yes

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Happy to hear that discs will be (at some point) forthcoming for those who have paid in advance and have been waiting, myself included. However, it's been *41* days now since customers have heard anything from Ignite regarding this release. No shipping update. No status. We still don't know what's going on or when orders will start to flow. Sorry, but that's really a shoddy way to do business. I'm not even very excited about (eventually) getting IFM anymore.

thetao

Grip
Real Name
Todd
Robert, thanks for the review. I think everybody was expecting a world class product, and this just cements that. To make a fine point, though, what you received was a commercially pressed BD...not a "screener" BD-R, correct?

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Still no release date! They've probably invested the preorder money and received interest. Robert has received a disc and reviewed it. Still no news from Ignite!

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
I'm a little confused here... the OCN "works beautifully," but "dupes are still dupes." Scanning from the original negative is the equivalent of a dupe? Please forgive me for not grasping this technically, but I thought an original was one thing, and that a dupe was at least a generation away, a copy of the original. How can they be the same thing?

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Just got the word ~
FROM 300 HUNDRED MILLION MILES AWAY...

… to Knoxville, TN, and soon, your screens, the much-anticipated release of the new 4K restoration of Invaders from Mars is finally here! Our fulfillment partner, Knoxville-based Grindhouse Video, began shipping discs and limited edition autorgraphed collectors posters today, beginning with the TCM Classic Film Festival Showcase pre-orders. Orders will be processed chronology by purchase date. Given the holiday crunch, all pre-orders will be shipped by the first week of January, at the latest.

We know we asked a lot of your patience, but you stood with us, and for that we are incredibly grateful. We hope you find it’s worth the wait.

THANK YOU!

— Ignite Films

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'm a little confused here... the OCN "works beautifully," but "dupes are still dupes." Scanning from the original negative is the equivalent of a dupe? Please forgive me for not grasping this technically, but I thought an original was one thing, and that a dupe was at least a generation away, a copy of the original. How can they be the same thing?
For any opticals, dupes would be cut into the OCN. The chances of having original elements rescanned at this stage and digitally recombined are about zero.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Yes, got the shipping notice. Most of us won't have it until after the New Year, that's pretty clear. Also, I think the Blu-rays won't ship until after they do all the 4K stuff - I mean the standalone Blu-rays. They've got all the pre-orders for the limited 4K with posters to get out. That could be 100, 200, or more.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Just got the word ~
FROM 300 HUNDRED MILLION MILES AWAY...

… to Knoxville, TN, and soon, your screens, the much-anticipated release of the new 4K restoration of Invaders from Mars is finally here! Our fulfillment partner, Knoxville-based Grindhouse Video, began shipping discs and limited edition autorgraphed collectors posters today, beginning with the TCM Classic Film Festival Showcase pre-orders. Orders will be processed chronology by purchase date. Given the holiday crunch, all pre-orders will be shipped by the first week of January, at the latest.

We know we asked a lot of your patience, but you stood with us, and for that we are incredibly grateful. We hope you find it’s worth the wait.

THANK YOU!

— Ignite Films

Grindhouse does not list Invaders From Mars? Which site are U.S. customers supposed to order the Blu-ray from?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks