What's new

TodBrowningJR

Auditioning
Real Name
Bernt
Received my copy today from amazon Canada. I first saw this film as a kid within a year or two of its release (on 16mm in the school gymnasium, if I remember correctly) and at the time it blew my mind. Still enjoyable, and it's hard to imagine any OG fan being disappointed with this release. I would never have expected to watch it again in 2023 looking this good. As a side note, I have the Kanadian bilingual slipcover non-steelbook version and it came with a digital code.

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
Just a few months ago here people were talking about this not coming out as it was too niche. O ye of little faith in the slayer! No US film captured a perfect Gilliam-esque medievelism until DRAGONSLAYER...but having since this opening night, North's score was beautifully ominous in moments and out of place in most.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just a few months ago here people were talking about this not coming out as it was too niche. O ye of little faith in the slayer! No US film captured a perfect Gilliam-esque medievelism until DRAGONSLAYER...but having since this opening night, North's score was beautifully ominous in moments and out of place in most.
I don't know about that as there have been several HTF members giving this title many shoutouts for a Blu-ray release. Now, we didn't expect a 4K/UHD release until December 7th, when the iTunes HD digital upgraded to 4K/Dolby Vision. That was the signal that our requests were heard by Paramount.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
By the way, Target has finally shipped my 4K/UHD.
1679636374520.png
:D!

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I did just get my copy from Amazon yesterday, Steelbook, and yes, it's missing the code. I wasn't going to jump through the hoops for their replacement program, but since I already happened to have posted a picture of the packaging elsewhere, I did end up filling out the form. I give my codes away to a friend anyway, but at least he'll be happy.

stevenHa

Second Unit
I can't remember what I saw back in the early 80's, but does the ending with the battle of the dragon seem too dark (I'm viewing the blu-ray) ?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wow I'd been on a buying moratorium for a while and forgot this was coming out. Thanks for the review RAH just ordered the BB steelbook and picking it up after dinner!

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
Yeah I had forgotten how some of North’s music cues just are a bit wacky and seem like from another film.

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
The best that Dragonslayer has ever looked until now was the 1981 novelization. I still have it (not my copy shown below).

For the younger set, a “novelization” was a rectangular construction with cleverly-positioned black glyphs appearing across multiple layers of a material that used to be a tree. It worked by generating imagery straight out of the spectacular motion picture (presumably still playing in your neighborhood) that appeared in your brain not by using animated pixels, but by stimulating the imagination. The wonder!

And all for $2.75…
il_1140xN.2835153968_qdxh.jpg
I miss the days of being able to build a fort out of your movie collection.

Attachments

• Fort.jpg
    Fort.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 38

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
I wonder if the Amazon HD version which was available long before the 4k, is manipulated in any way too or is it before the "restoration". Does anyone know?

edit: I answered my own question. It's the old DVD master in HD!
vifocqx-png.179274

I cannot believe they would do that. They have literally added simulated digital water with reflections under the dragon, a CG effect that was impossible in the 1980s. No doubt it makes for a more seamless presentation.

This is a film that was Oscar-nominated for Best Visual Effects, and they have altered them. Who knows what other tweaks have been made. I know a lot of people don't care about technical awards, but it represented a significant advancement in technology for the time, and the advances were hard won.

Then don’t buy them.

That's not much of an option.

They could and should have given a choice. This has been done before.

Jeff F.

Second Unit
I had never seen this film before and was blown away when I viewed it in 4K the other night. I couldn't believe it was a 42-year-old movie, and even with some tweaked effects, as some have stated, I could still see that core effects (like the dragon walking through the cave) were left alone and could see why it received nominations for them.

I also was shocked when I realized that the actor playing Galen was Peter MacNicol from "Ally McBeal" and "Ghostbusters 2!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks