What's new

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
Here's the original ad for CITIZEN KANE when the landmark film debuted on NY TV way back when...

Attachments

• Citizen Kane WOR ad.jpg
    Citizen Kane WOR ad.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The 4k blu ray played flawlessly up until approximately 46 or 47 minutes into the film. Then it began stuttering and jerking and then just froze. I tried to play the disc again, and the problem recurred in the same spot. I’ve since returned the disc to Amazon.
I detected a similar problem, at what was perceived as a layer change.
I had no issues playing the 4K disc in its entirety on my Oppo 203. I then played the same same 4K disc on my Panny 820 player up to the 50 minute mark without any issues.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I had no issues playing the 4K disc in its entirety on my Oppo 203. I then played the same same 4K disc on my Panny 820 player up to the 50 minute mark without any issues.
No issues on my Panasonic UB9000 either, and I agree with your opinion of the 4K release, Robert. It looks stellar.

tenia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rémy
RAH, I think you're forgetting the brouhaha that erupted a few years back when Criterion moved to exclusively releasing Blu-ray/DVD combo packs without separate SKUs for each format. DVD-only fans refused to pay a few extra dollars for Blu-rays they didn't want, and Blu-ray fans were outraged by the inclusion of DVDs sullying their precious Criterion Blu-ray shelves. (They actually demanded the right to pay the same price for a copy without the DVD.) It didn't take long for Criterion to relent and separate the formats again.
The issue actually came from institutions not purchasing newer Criterion DF releases because they had no use for the BD and didn't want / couldn't afford to pay the extra charge. This is a position unique to Criterion, who seem (within the market) uniquely dependant on these institutions who are massively DVD-focused, hence a specific over-dependance on DVD sales for Criterion.

Individual consumers, whether they were DVD-only consumers not liking having to pay extra for something they don't need (which is understandable), or BD-only consumers getting coasters (something people should definitely have been less bothered with), most likely had a much lower impact on Criterion's sales and thus on their decision to go back.

Since the currently-discussed DF releases aren't DVD-related, this also means the UHD/BD DF release strategy is totally unrelated to these institutions, thus a completely different matter than what happend with the BD/DVD DF roll-out.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hopefully my experience with the blu ray was a “one off” issue. But I suspect that there are a fairly large number of users who share my experience with the blu ray.
Well, we'll find out one way or another as more people receive and then watch their 4K disc.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Played my 4k disc with no issues and it's the best looking version of Kane i have seen. Did enjoy The Complete Citizen Kane documentary on disc 2.
Criterion curates extras for a release, they’re generally the best of the best - ferreting materials from around the globe, getting top industry people to speak, et al.

Kane is a wonderful example of their curating abilities.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I did watch the movie with the new commentary by James Naremore and Jonathan Rosenbaum and it was ok and learned a few things about the movie that i did not know before. They did talk about "the hatred of Orson Welles" a few times and got the impression that alot of folks hated Orson Welles?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I tested my 4K disc, playing from the 40 minute to 52 minute marks. The disc played fine on my Panasonic 820 player. I will watch the entire film later, but wanted to make sure I didn't have a defective disc that needed returned.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
They did talk about "the hatred of Orson Welles" a few times and got the impression that alot of folks hated Orson Welles?
Welles wasn't exactly known for his humbleness so I can imagine that plenty of people did hate him. That hatred was probably exacerbated by Welles actually living up to his hype.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
Welles wasn't exactly known for his humbleness so I can imagine that plenty of people did hate him. That hatred was probably exacerbated by Welles actually living up to his hype.
not many liked jobs, gates, musk, hearst, edison, etc. the list goes on :)

seems to come with the territory

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
My 4K Kane disc froze at about the 45 minute mark. I pulled in out of my Oppo 203, wiped it carefully with a soft cloth, re-inserted it, and it played perfectly. Love this set.
Supplements are superb. Still have to watch some I haven’t gotten to yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks