What's new

Steve Rothaus

Auditioning
My 4K Kane disc froze at about the 45 minute mark. I pulled in out of my Oppo 203, wiped it carefully with a soft cloth, re-inserted it, and it played perfectly. Love this set.
Supplements are superb. Still have to watch some I haven’t gotten to yet.
Mine, too. Froze at the 50-minute mark. I removed the disc from my Sony UBP-X700, carefully wiped it and the disc played fine.

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I placed an order with bn.com on Friday and got a shipping confirmation the next day. The tracking number currently says "On Its Way" but has not updated with a delivery date yet.

My set just arrived, 5 days after placing the order. I have not taken the shrinkwrap off or tested anything yet.

David Norman

Premium
Walked into store, bought all my Criterion directly and they let me purchase CK 4K for online delivery no charge due to the recall -- already delivered much to my surprise and perfect condition so I don't even have to worry about an in-store exchange.
Walked out with all the others in hand -- no shipping costs or worry since neitehr Amazon or BN can pack much safely any more. I had banking business next door so an extra 1 mile driving didn't seem to waste much gas
3 of the 4 4K Digipacks and esp the larger sets handpicked for condition

Had Discounted BN Cards between AMEX Offers (not CC rewards since that's extra in addition) and the BN Holiday GC Bonus which gave me almost another 30% off directly without coupons or memberships. The longer BN keeps doing the sales, the longer Amazon has someone to check.
Folks got to do what's best for themselves, but it's a wonderful thing when it works both long and short term

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
So the lesson here is to order right away, if the title is important to you. And it's a little cheaper and faster, as I've just discovered to my surprise, if you order from Amazon rather than B/N. That's pretty much that.
I thought the lesson was buy when there are Criterion sales.

B&N and Amazon were both $29.99, so Amazon is no cheaper. Yes, shipping is included with Prime, but...you have to have Prime. And B&N ships free over $35 anyway.

Agreed. And if one's so inclined, one could get free shipping w/out that minimum requirement by joining B&N's own version of Prime too -- membership is just $25/year IIRC and provides some additional discounts on most items (at least in-store) albeit no longer on top of the Criterion sale, which is partly why I let mine lapse.

Anyway, if people are actually trying to get the best deal, might also need to check other less well-known options like Target's oft recurring B2G1 sales, which Amazon also tried to match to some extent (seemingly sometimes via their coupon clippings). That's actually what I did for this round of sales instead... though I didn't actually get the Kane 4K set -- I'm satisfied enough w/ my old Warner BD set at least for now...

Also, if really going for best deal, I'd probably recommend against paying regularly for Prime anyway. Paying (regularly) for Prime is about paying for the luxury of extra convenience (and I suppose the IMHO not-that-attractive perk of their Prime streaming services), not so much the best deal (most times)...

Walked into store, bought all my Criterion directly and they let me purchase CK 4K for online delivery no charge due to the recall -- already delivered much to my surprise and perfect condition so I don't even have to worry about an in-store exchange.
Walked out with all the others in hand -- no shipping costs or worry since neitehr Amazon or BN can pack much safely any more. I had banking business next door so an extra 1 mile driving didn't seem to waste much gas
3 of the 4 4K Digipacks and esp the larger sets handpicked for condition

Had Discounted BN Cards between AMEX Offers (not CC rewards since that's extra in addition) and the BN Holiday GC Bonus which gave me almost another 30% off directly without coupons or memberships. The longer BN keeps doing the sales, the longer Amazon has someone to check.
Folks got to do what's best for themselves, but it's a wonderful thing when it works both long and short term

IF I didn't have the Target option (which also provided other bonuses), I'd probably mostly just buy from B&N instead of Amazon since I do maintain a stash of Discover Card cashback rewards that are good for discounted B&N GCs... and it's good to help maintain some competition me thinks...

_Man_

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracer Metula
Recent bookmarks