What's new

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Amazon package arrived today with the K disc. Nice black box. I’ll wait for the replacement disc before I open the set.

Thanks for the return and replacement shipping address info John Simpson!
You will need to open the set when it arrives, as you need to send back just the BD in order to get a replacement -- unless you have some magic way of removing that disc without opening the package. ;)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Am I the only one a bit upset that Criterion is forcing me to mail back a defective disc when they are at fault? Hell, most others (including Shout!, Kino, even VCI!) just accept your proof of purchase. The $10 credit is no use to me as I always buy my discs from retailers, not Criterion. Of all things to screw up.....KANE!

I'm not thrilled with it either. Mailing it back right at the start of the Christmas season seems to be a bad idea. And they will receive all sorts of irregular packages and envelopes and papers with return addresses. Seems like it would have been simpler to provide an online registration form with a way to upload an image of the receipt. But it is what it is.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I agree that forcing customers to mail the disc back at their own expense isn't optimal. A valid proof of purchase should be evidence enough that you have a legitimate claim unless they're going by the disc code to differentiate uncorrected discs from the eventual corrected copies that will be in the retail channel. Even if that's the issue, a photo of the disc hub would do.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
You will need to open the set when it arrives, as you need to send back just the BD in order to get a replacement -- unless you have some magic way of removing that disc without opening the package. ;)
Hey Scott, Robert-

Maybe I can magically teleport the disc from inside the box without opening it? Ha, ha.

I wasn’t very clear in my wording, I meant I’ll wait until replacement discs are available from Criterion, then I’ll open the set to send the Blu ray disc back. That’s assuming they will only accept a replacement request by sending the Blu ray disc back.

Of course, I might just open the set sooner to play the 4K disc. 😀

Real Name
Luke Pacholski
I agree that forcing customers to mail the disc back at their own expense isn't optimal. A valid proof of purchase should be evidence enough that you have a legitimate claim unless they're going by the disc code to differentiate uncorrected discs from the eventual corrected copies that will be in the retail channel. Even if that's the issue, a photo of the disc hub would do.

Return no longer necessary:

The below instructions have been updated since they were originally shared on November 22, 2021:

If you would like to exchange your disc, you now have two options:

1. Break or cut the disc in half. Then take a photo of the unplayable disc, with your name and the date written on a slip of paper included in the image, and email the photo to [email protected]. Be sure to include a mailing address that will be valid for the next 1-2 months in the body of the message. Please use “CITIZEN KANE BD REPLACEMENT” as the subject line.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris

The below instructions have been updated since they were originally shared on November 22, 2021:

1. Break or cut the disc in half. Then take a photo of the unplayable disc, with your name and the date written on a slip of paper included in the image, and email the photo to [email protected]. Be sure to include a mailing address that will be valid for the next 1-2 months in the body of the message. Please use “CITIZEN KANE BD REPLACEMENT” as the subject line.

Maybe I’ll wait a week or two and see if Criterion changes their replacement request procedure. Maybe they will accept a photo of the disc.
Thanks Luke.

Nelson gets the prize for calling it.

And kudos to Criterion. The first rather silly procedure was apparently an attempt to get a replacement policy out ASAP, and let their customers know they'd be taken care of. After a bit of thought, a better idea for all has prevailed.

Now that's the way to handle mistakes.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Word of warning after reading a post on Bluray.com -- I really have no idea if the poster was kidding b/c the thought did cross mind of it happening

MAKE SURE YOU BREAK THE BLU-RAY DISC AND NOT THE 4K DISC -- triple check first.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hey Scott, Robert-

Maybe I can magically teleport the disc from inside the box without opening it? Ha, ha.

I wasn’t very clear in my wording, I meant I’ll wait until replacement discs are available from Criterion, then I’ll open the set to send the Blu ray disc back. That’s assuming they will only accept a replacement request by sending the Blu ray disc back.

Of course, I might just open the set sooner to play the 4K disc. 😀
There seems to be continuing confusion, as the Blu-ray and 4k sets are totally different. I'm unaware of any combined set.

It seems to be either a Blu-ray 3-disc set or a 4k, but not both.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Amazon has a 4-disc set -- one 4K and three Blu-rays.

Product details​

• MPAA rating ‏ : ‎ PG (Parental Guidance Suggested)
  • Package Dimensions ‏ : ‎ 6.81 x 5.87 x 0.67 inches; 13.12 Ounces
  • Director ‏ : ‎ Orson Welles
  • Media Format ‏ : ‎ 4K, Blu-ray
  • Release date ‏ : ‎ November 23, 2021
  • Actors ‏ : ‎ Orson Welles, Joseph Cotten, Dorothy Comingore, Agnes Moorehead, Ruth Warrick
  • Studio ‏ : ‎ The Criterion Collection
  • ASIN ‏ : ‎ B09CRM3XD1
  • Country of Origin ‏ : ‎ USA
  • Number of discs ‏ : ‎ 4

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The 4K release is 1 4K disc and 3 Blu-ray discs. There isn’t a 4K only release.
Interesting, that there’s a 3-disc, Blu-ray only release. I’m now confused as to why there are two different set, with one only lacking the 4k.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Interesting, that there’s a 3-disc, Blu-ray only release. I’m now confused as to why there are two different set, with one only lacking the 4k.
What's confusing about it, that they included Blu-rays with the 4K disc? Or they released a separate 3-Disc Blu-ray only set for those that don't have a 4K setup or plan to have one in the near future?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

That's great, but doesn't do much for those of us who followed the initial instructions from Criterion and already mailed the Blu-ray back.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but I realize you might generally receive screeners instead of buying movies retail. Virtually all UHD releases include an HD Blu-Ray as well.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul

What's confusing about it, that they included Blu-rays with the 4K disc? Or they released a separate 3-Disc Blu-ray only set for those that don't have a 4K setup or plan to have one in the near future?
And who would save ten bucks by not having to pay for the 4k disc they didn't want.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
From a marketing, packaging and distribution perspective, with many people still upgrading to 4k - to create two totally different packages, which at street price there’s a $10 savings, for abstaining from future-proofing.

The savings in releasing only a 4-disc set should almost make up the cost differential of dropping in an extra disc, the cost of which should be around $4.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
From a marketing, packaging and distribution perspective, with many people still upgrading to 4k - to create two totally different packages, which at street price there’s a $10 savings, for abstaining from future-proofing.

The savings in releasing only a 4-disc set should almost make up the cost differential of dropping in an extra disc, the cost of which should be around $4.
RAH, you know full well that Criterion is late to the party when it comes to new home video formats and always makes sure that those that haven't upgraded from the older format are not left out in the cold.

tenia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rémy
RAH, you know full well that Criterion is late to the party when it comes to new home video formats and always makes sure that those that haven't upgraded from the older format are not left out in the cold.
They're also having what is possibly remaining a limited perspective on their upcoming UHD sales and don't want, on top of that, to look like they're forcing sales of discs for some people will never need in a market that is already limited as it is.

One could argue they could have instead done a 4K set and a non-DF BD set, but then, some people would have complained about it being expensive for future-proofers.

So having not just the 4k DF release makes quite sense to me, at least from a consumer perspective.

It's also not particularly new for labels to offer this kind of configuration.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Again, Robert, unless I’m misunderstanding the release strategy, there are two different sets - a 3-disc and a 4-disc. They both include the Blu-ray of the film. The 4k is the fourth disc found only in the 4k / 4-disc set, which has different packaging.

How would late or non-4k upgraders be left out in the cold with the 4-disc set?

It seems that everyone gets a Blu-ray, whether they desire it or not.

My point being, why not release the 4k set at a lower list price - let’s say $55, and be done with it? Street price, on sale would be a difference of $2.50, for which price everyone receives a 4k.

Thats fair… surely.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks