What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Bells are Ringing -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I've already told you I no longer have the DVD, so I can't comment and I'm sure you're right. As to my reasoning, I thought it was interesting that on the featurette there are shots where tops of hair are cut off. I'm not incorrect about anything I've said - I've simply reported what I've seen. Whether this new transfer is correct or not I cannot say, just as you cannot say the DVD is correct. What I've been trying to point out here all along is that the Spanish Blu-ray has a different transfer with the same framing as this new transfer, and the clips in the documentary featurette, which is an even older transfer, tops of hair are above the top frame line - I'm not castigating anyone or even making a judgement. Mr. Harris has weighed in with his thoughts and I've pointed out what I've seen between the Spanish Blu and this new transfer and that tops of hair being above the frame line is sometimes not a mistake at all and happens in every transfer in every ratio.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Yes but there are times in this when the cropping cuts off half of her forehead. It's different, it's tighter and (in my opinion) it looks weirdly unintentional. That's all i'm saying.

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I understand and again I can't say what's right or wrong, but the fact is there's not really a scene where anything is cut off for more than a second or two - as you say, no matter what, not a deal-breaker.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I just watched this Blu ray and as usual, found Judy Holliday enchanting. I noticed no flaw in the disc, except for a slight darkening in the colour when scenes change.
This I believe is at least my third kick at the can for this movie having owned it in 3 formats (4 if you count my original Beta taped from TV version!).
I have had a series of LPs called Cut! which had the "Is It A Crime" number on it, but I don't believe I have ever actually seen it. You wonder why it was cut out (time?). You don't have any doubts about the insipid Dean Martin # however.
I will have to check my DVD version to see if these are also extras on that disc. I must have forgot to watch them.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Many of the orchestras from MGM, Warner Bros. and 20th Century Fox had the greatest musicians available including many who escaped persecution in Europe. Not only did these immense talents find new employment in Hollywood but welcomed the lucrative financial gains from the studios.

For those of you who love the MGM musicals, there is a remarkable BBC dvd of a 2009 Prom concert given by the John Wilson Orchestra. The album is called That's Entertainment but the program itself is entitled "A Tribute to the Great MGM Musical."

Probably not very much known in the US because the BBC concerts were and are restricted to other side of the pond in terms of broadcasts and possibly DVDs of these concerts, John Wilson is a remarkable talent. When the MGM Tribute was performed Wilson at the age of 36 (I believe) had his own orchestra for many years prior. It took him one year to reconstruct all the musical numbers performed because, in the 60's the MGM studio was no longer run by talents but by corporations and, as a result, decided to get rid of the MGM library at the studio and replace it with a parking lot only to dump recordings, orchestra parts and god knows what else into land fills. He found lost musical parts and/or listened to videos by using his unbelievable talent to write down every note of every piece for every instrument in his orchestra as well as the chorus and the soloists! The 6,000 plus people at the Prince Albert Hall went crazy and, believe it or not, bombarded the BBC with over 100,000 calls demanding that a DVD be produced. It was initially released in Great Britain but, after one year or so, was produced for our region dvd players.

The reviewers went out of their minds! It was as if the MGM Studio Orchestra was resurrected and as if a vale of dust had been removed from old recording sessions and magically transported to modern times.

Give yourself a treat and buy the John Wilson Orchestra DVD. It will blow you away!
I saw this on Amazon U.K. ,now I will get it,thanks!

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
In a recent Lowes theatres opening the installing co. told me that the District Mgr. wanted the image as large as possible, wall to wall and ceiling to as close to floor as possible. I hadn't projected a film in about a year,but still went @ least once a week. This location was near where I worked. They opened with Goldeneye. The lobby was great,lots of lights moving like a Disco !

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I just watched this Blu ray and as usual, found Judy Holliday enchanting. I noticed no flaw in the disc, except for a slight darkening in the colour when scenes change.
This I believe is at least my third kick at the can for this movie having owned it in 3 formats (4 if you count my original Beta taped from TV version!).
I have had a series of LPs called Cut! which had the "Is It A Crime" number on it, but I don't believe I have ever actually seen it. You wonder why it was cut out (time?). You don't have any doubts about the insipid Dean Martin # however.
I will have to check my DVD version to see if these are also extras on that disc. I must have forgot to watch them.

Um, Is it a Crime is on the Blu-ray as an extra, as is a cut Dean Martin song.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks