What's new

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I hate to ask this but what exactly is AI Image Processing. Asking for a friend. 🤪
If you're asking for details, I don't have it. Here's what Bill Hunt says. I've bolded the relevant sections.

"For its release on Ultra HD, Lightstorm, working with Park Road Post, appears to have utilized the best-available scan of the original camera negative (possibly new and 4K, but it’s also possible that the previous 2K Blu-ray scan was used; I haven’t been able to confirm that with Lightstorm yet in this particular case)—“optimized” by Park Road’s proprietary deep-learning algorithms—to create a new 4K Digital Intermediate. Photochemical grain has been greatly reduced, though not eliminated entirely, and it should be noted that this isn’t the usual Digital Noise Reduction with which people have long been familiar (a dreaded and blunt instrument). Unlike an image scrubbed with DNR, this process hasn’t removed all of the fine image detail. Not only does that detail remain, it too has been “enhanced” algorithmically. The image has then been graded for high dynamic range, with both Dolby Vision and HDR10 available."

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I have to question the sanity of people mentioning when AI is being used in a project like this. Those two letters strike fear in the heart of anyone who actually likes art and it creates an instant bias or suspicion of it. People freaked out when the 'new' Beatles song was going to use AI as if John was going to sound like one of those dumb ad fake voices. If I was using AI in any aspect on anything, I'd be taking that secret to the grave rather than hyping it up.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I have to question the sanity of people mentioning when AI is being used in a project like this. Those two letters strike fear in the heart of anyone who actually likes art and it creates an instant bias or suspicion of it. People freaked out when the 'new' Beatles song was going to use AI as if John was going to sound like one of those dumb ad fake voices. If I was using AI in any aspect on anything, I'd be taking that secret to the grave rather than hyping it up.

A.I. is a tool. It can be used well or it can be used poorly, depending on the dictates of what the humans overseeing the project assign that tool to do.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I think it's more of a possibility that you disagree with Cameron's reimagining decision regarding these home video releases than him not doing right regarding these three movies.

I don't see a conflict between the two halves of your sentence. We can disagree with Cameron's reimagining decision and he could have done wrong by his movies.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
What I find ironic is that, at this stage in his career, James Cameron has effectively turned over care of his movies to Skynet.
T2 Ill Be Back.gif

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Courtesy of Mr. Hunt and Digital Bits:

“True Lies, Titanic, and The Abyss were all mastered from 4K scans. Aliens
was mastered from the 2K scan used for the previous Blu-ray release.

Titanic was scanned in 2012. True Lies and The Abyss were done more
recently.

That's all per Geoff Burdick at Lightstorm.

Of these remasters (done by Lightstorm with Park Road Post -- their AI
process, whatever they call it), True Lies was the first completed. Then
Aliens, The Abyss, and finally Titanic. I'm told that each time, they
learned a lot and got better at it. So True Lies is the one that's most
"aggressive" is the word I would use. And Titanic and The Abyss are the best
looking of them. But as you know, they all have the "modern" look that
Cameron seems to favor now.”

Best to work with facts.

Thanks, Bill!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Courtesy of Mr. Hunt and Digital Bits:

“True Lies, Titanic, and The Abyss were all mastered from 4K scans. Aliens
was mastered from the 2K scan used for the previous Blu-ray release.

Titanic was scanned in 2012. True Lies and The Abyss were done more
recently.

That's all per Geoff Burdick at Lightstorm.

Of these remasters (done by Lightstorm with Park Road Post -- their AI
process, whatever they call it), True Lies was the first completed. Then
Aliens, The Abyss, and finally Titanic. I'm told that each time, they
learned a lot and got better at it. So True Lies is the one that's most
"aggressive" is the word I would use. And Titanic and The Abyss are the best
looking of them. But as you know, they all have the "modern" look that
Cameron seems to favor now.”

Best to work with facts.

Thanks, Bill!
That settles it!

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
So you were right about Aliens. I stand corrected and my apologies.

Afraid so, and thanks. I wish it wasn't this way. The Abyss looks wonderful on my Apple TV and I'm anxious to get that disc. It's in Amazon limbo, but that's for another thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks