What's new

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
How a SE 70mm print is possible here?
Dave stated that he saw a 70mm print of Aliens, and unless I missed it, he doesn't mention that it was the SE anywhere in his post.

I have went back through my emails and outlook entries and while I have a number of saved emails regarding movie night it seems that the email for Aliens was not one of them. Also looking back on my records in outlook it looks as I put down the wrong year. The actual date I saw this movie was 7/29/2014 then again on 7/29/2017 so the date in 2016 was nothing more than watching my blu-ray copy. But getting back to seeing Aliens have it down in outlook that it was the directors cut and maybe that is only because the words directors cut was used at the screening instead of Special Edition. I see on my blu-ray it says Special Edition so the screening had to have been the Special Edition with the added footage that was not in the Theatrical release. I know that one of the guys that did classic movie night at Fox is no longer there after Disney purchased Fox. I am thinking about sending an email and see if I get a response about the screening of Aliens to see if I can get a verification of it being a 70mm presentation of the movie. I know there where a few movies at Fox that where shown on 70mm like Patton and Sound Of Music. I just have a strong memory of Aliens being 70mm but if I am wrong it was at least 35mm but all these years I only remember it being 70mm. There where a number of movies shown from a 4K DCP file but I am sure Aliens was not one of them. I will update if I am somehow able to get conformation of the movie being from 70mm. Alot has been going on so I apologize if I misremember this screening. Also this was the fist movie I was able to see at Fox movie night which holds a special place in my heart.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
However, if these heat maps are accurate, it'd fit Aliens remaster re-using the 2010 2K master

Again with this claim that the 2010 master was 2K. Where are you finding documentation of that? Lowry Digital created that master for the Aliens Blu-ray, and they were doing 4K scans and mastering at least as early as 2006.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Again with this claim that the 2010 master was 2K. Where are you finding documentation of that? Lowry Digital created that master for the Aliens Blu-ray, and they were doing 4K scans and mastering at least as early as 2006.
I'm unaware of any serious studio / post house that was using 2k for anything other than IPs or dupes for video purposes. We were using 4k back in January of 2007.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
HDR and DV are packages that don’t always relate well to older films. But the marketing makes it seem as though it’s a necessity and part of 4k.
I watched the 4K release of 'McCabe, and Mrs. Miller' from Criterion. No HDR. Great.

I wish this was implemented on many more classic films as I do not feel many of them need HDR at all.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Screen Shot 2024-03-18 at 9.14.36 AM.png

SOURCE

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I worked with Ryan while he was there. I would dispute the term restoration for any of those projects. This also doesn't answer the question. What were the base files?

I was about to ask that question as well. His use of the phrase "2K restoration" does not necessarily mean that the film scan was done at 2K. It might still have been a 4K scan with a 2K workflow for the digital processing.

As I said above, Lowry Digital was doing 4K scans at least as early as the James Bond Ultimate Edition DVDs in 2006. They put a title card after the end credits on those discs specifying as much.

lowry.jpg

Nevertheless, if the new Aliens 4K A.I. enhanced master was based on prior work, that does leave open the question of whether it went back to the raw scan (potentially 4K) or started with the completed Blu-ray master (possibly only 2K).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Isn’t it a possibility that Cameron did not do right by these 3 movies by using a. i. and reimagining them?
More so towards Aliens and True Lies then Abyss?

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I worked with Ryan while he was there. I would dispute the term restoration for any of those projects. This also doesn't answer the question. What were the base files?
I can't answer that. I can only look at the final result which bears more than a passing resemblance to the prior Blu-ray, minus the grain overlay but with the addition of AI image processing.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Isn’t it a possibility that Cameron did not do right by these 3 movies by using a. i. and reimagining them?
More so towards Aliens and True Lies then Abyss?
I think it's more of a possibility that you disagree with Cameron's reimagining decision regarding these home video releases than him not doing right regarding these three movies.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I disagree.
The ai work wasn’t needed.

I think it was Man who predicted this well before we saw or knew anything about these releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks