What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Alien Anthology -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Got my Amazon UK Alien Anthology set today, egg-free and shelf-friendly. Had a look at that MU-TH-UR mode and it was crap, unless you enjoy clicking away at the screen while the film is on, avoid. It gives you links (or tags) to video and images but they happen to be on the 5th and 6th discs so what was the point of it all? Loved the isolated scores, did not like the chapter box staying on screen while this mode was on.

Otherwise very impressed with picture and sound and in the end thats what matters most. Highly recommended.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Steve Christou
Got my Amazon UK Alien Anthology set today, egg-free and shelf-friendly. Had a look at that MU-TH-UR mode and it was crap, unless you enjoy clicking away at the screen while the film is on, avoid. It gives you links (or tags) to video and images but they happen to be on the 5th and 6th discs so what was the point of it all?

Well, your player 'remembers' which options you chose, and gives you these things when you put in the fifth or the sixth disc. However, I think that a true fan would watch everything.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks for weighing in on the UK set Steve. I'm patiently awaiting mine to arrive from across the Atlantic.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Well worth waiting for Doug.

Originally Posted by Brian Borst

Well, your player 'remembers' which options you chose, and gives you these things when you put in the fifth or the sixth disc. However, I think that a true fan would watch everything.
Well this 'true fan' will get to those videos and images when he eventually explores those two discs.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Steve Christou
Well worth waiting for Doug.

Well this 'true fan' will get to those videos and images when he eventually explores those two discs.
That's what I was saying . A true fan would watch everything. A casual fan might like it, but I don't see a casual fan going through the movie so many times. So, essentially, the feature seems a bit useless.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
For anyone who cares... the 1930s Fox Fanfare (and early 70s logo) has been restored to both versions of Alien

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Some random thoughts (in short: WOW!):

-During the HBO First Look special on Resurrection, they discuss the previous Alien films and people like James Cameron, Jerry Goldsmith, Charles Dutton, and John Hurt are interviewed. Excerpts from these interview sessions are incorporated into the Quad documentaries. So these guys never did new interviews for the Quad in 2003? I understand Cameron's schedule probably prevented him from being interviewed and Hurt shows up in the Alien commentary but I was surprised. I thought all these pieces were filmed for the Quad.

-It's great to see the unedited Alien 3 documentary. Fincher: "I like people. They stack well." It's amazing what a difference just a few seconds here or there can make. And for the first time, you hear people complain about Fincher. He might've gotten a raw deal from Fox but he could also be impatient and obstinate at times, too.

-I'm watching Alien 3 in Mu-Th-Ur Mode...interesting. The commentary index isn't always perfectly in sync with the actual track. And the trivia track text is just a tad too small.

-The Quad documentaries are now 16x9. I did have to adjust the picture size setting on my Samsung 42" LCD - no big deal. (I'm watching on a PS3.) For the Enhancement Pods, all the interviews and footage are windowboxed within the 16x9 frame.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
For anyone who cares... the 1930s Fox Fanfare (and early 70s logo) has been restored to both versions of Alien
Nice, I was hoping that would happen. For me, that actually was a significant gripe with the Quadrilogy Disc. Original color timing has been restored for the Theatrical as well.

Harrison Shinn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harrison Shinn
Just received my GUARDIAN set in the post. The actual disc packaging is different from the "movies only" release. The discs are packaged in a case that is like a very thick CD digipack, with a small booklet of the MU-TH-UR mode viewer's guide tucked in. Kinda expected the packaging to be like the ones we've all been seeing but I suppose the book format was too large to fit in the back of the egg case. Anyway, what really matters are the movies and the docos! Cheers! Harry

12f80342_1000x500px-LL-baf9fc01_IMG_0519.jpg

PRO-630HD

Grip
Real Name
tim lamb
Originally Posted by Brian Borst
Not enough love? Do you mean the fact that they weren't given masters by re-scanning the films? I honestly think that if it would have made a worth wile improvement, Fox would have done it. Especially considering the care that went into the entire set.
Rescanning the films would have easily improved their PQ. All reviews have said they look soft in comparison to the 1st 2 films. For the $140 msrp I think 4k scans and brand new remasters of all films were warranted.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Its probably more than likely that new 4k masters couldn't be created for Alien 3 and Resurrection as the new effects created for the Special Editions of those films weren't reoutput back to film. In fact we should be grateful that Charlie and his team had the foresight to do those masters in 1080p back in 2003.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Just watched Alien, it looked and sounded amazing. The PQ is rock solid, other then a few shots that look dated and some sound effects that suffer the same. Other then that this blu-ray is an A+, most impressive.

I spun the disc on my 350 with no issues at all and about a 1 minute load time, if not a bit shorter.

Thank you FOX and Mr. Scott. One of my all-time favorites has never looked or sounded better.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
was hoping to get a good deal on the set from Barnes and Noble with the 15% off coupons out there, but they've been steadily raising the price over the last couple of days, and the current $104.xx puts it over Amazons cost of $89.99 with sales tax.

Decided to order from NewEgg for $79.99. $40 each for a HD upgrade of the two films I care about hits my comfort level.
Though I suppose if they fix the framing on Alien in the future, I may be tempted to upgrade again
It can be had even cheaper from Columbia House right now, but I'm not a member anymore.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I tested Alien tonight on my Sony BDP-S550. The firmware is 021, the most current.

The first film loaded fine. From the time the drawer closed, to the time a screen comes up with a statement that the blu Ray was manufactured to the latest standards, was one minute. The Fox logo came on 1 mins and 45 seconds later. Then 15 seconds later the main menu came up. I played the Director's Cut. Ridley Scott's intro played fine and the film did as well. I stopped it at the point they leave the Space Jockey ship and return to the Nostromo.

Looked great! Nice to see the audio commentary is a subtitle option, so you can read it or listen or both. Will be checking out the first film this weekend.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Hi

My UK R2 copy arrived yesterday.

No problems with my UK PS3 player either. Keep my fingers crossed.

Absolutely love the MU-TH-UR experience.

I listened to the isolated Jerry Goldsmith music track, absolutely awesome.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Does the "Unbound" feature work on your PS3? I have seen some reports that it doesn't work for some PS3s.
Bill Hunts description:
Disc Unbound: What this does is, once you've watched one disc in the set - with its usual start-up copyright disclaimers and warning screens - when you take that disc out and switch to another disc in the set, you'll see a Weyland-Yutani logo on the screen as you make the swap. Then, when the new disc starts up, it skips past all the warning screens and goes right into the main menu.
Now, THAT'S a cool touch.

Originally Posted by oscar_merkx
Hi

My UK R2 copy arrived yesterday.

No problems with my UK PS3 player either. Keep my fingers crossed.

Absolutely love the MU-TH-UR experience.

I listened to the isolated Jerry Goldsmith music track, absolutely awesome.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by RickardL
Does the "Unbound" feature work on your PS3? I have seen some reports that it doesn't work for some PS3s.
Bill Hunts description:
Disc Unbound: What this does is, once you've watched one disc in the set - with its usual start-up copyright disclaimers and warning screens - when you take that disc out and switch to another disc in the set, you'll see a Weyland-Yutani logo on the screen as you make the swap. Then, when the new disc starts up, it skips past all the warning screens and goes right into the main menu.
Now, THAT'S a cool touch.
I saw the feature you described yet have not explored it at the moment.

I will keep you updated.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I ordered this on Monday from Amazon. It arrived yesterday.

I haven't even opened it yet, and I'm impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks