What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... The Mel Brooks Collection (1 Viewer)

Guido Bibra

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Robert! I've checked the old pan&scan tape of History of the World, and the mix indeed sounds like an upmix - it's somewhat good, because the music and the singing voices seem to be seperated. A real stereo-surround-track would be great - Warner has done such a good job on the new Blazing Saddles disc, it's sad that Fox couldn't do the same on "History".

The High Anxiety track is really not spectacular, it's just a mono track with stereo music - but the music is in stereo, and that's the good thing!

Shame about the LP, it seems to be a real collector's item. As a CD, it would have made a great extra for the DVD set!

Jay*W

Second Unit
I'm delighted to report that I picked up up a copy of the set at Sam's Club this morning that included the new anamorphic YF! I was quite relieved.

Jay

Karl R

Stunt Coordinator
I realize I’m resurrecting this thread from the dead, but I did promise an update:

I just received my original set back from Fox this afternoon (they shipped it on the 25th), along with an anamorphic copy of Young Frankenstein “rubber-banded” to it.

I guess this shoots down Mr. Harris’ theory (post #194) that they wanted the original set back to put "the onus for the situation, inclusive of all of the costs, on the production facility."

As to my own personal theory on why I received my original set back, I think Fox itself has no way of knowing which sets have old or new YF discs in them, so they broke open one (or 20+) new set(s) to find an anamorphic copy, then slapped it on to my "used" set and shipped it off.

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
I called last week and they took my name and address. Today I recieved a new corrected YF in a slim case. I did not have to send anything in.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Good to hear that people are getting the corrected ones! Now, any word on individual releases?

:) d

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Still waiting for an individual release of High Anxiety. I already have Young Fronkensteen and I'm not really interested in any of the other films in the set. Anyone heard anything? I had been waiting for H.A. forever, and if this is going to be the only way to get it, I will be pissed!

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Sorry to be OT, but did Fox ever do any replacement for The Abyss: SE with the black lable that said, "5.1", but wasn't?

I'm still nervous to pick up the Mel Brook's set. I don't have any of these movies in my collection yet so I thought it'd be a great pick-up. I'm not too worried about BS only because of the HD-DVD release. I'm not an early adopter, but knowing that it is already available when I do, is good enough.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I'm waiting for an individual release of "Robin Hood: Men In Tights". None of the others in the set interest me that much, not to mention I'd rather have the anniversay edition of "Blazing Saddles".

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I just read DVDfile's review and apparently the reviewer got the non-annie YF in his set. Was this ever resolved?

D

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Once they got their act together and informed the folks who answer their phones, Fox replaced my non-anamorphic disc with absolutely no hassle. Just call the customer service number from earlier in this thread if you have a set with an old disc.

Regards,

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I am soooo happy to be able to add Silent Movie to my library, and be damned, I prefer Mel's version of To Be or Not To Be over the original.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am not surprised that Fox took care of consumers who had
problems with this set.

The studio has always stood behind its product.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Bought the Mel Brooks Box at my local Costco. Young Frankenstein was indeed NOT anamorphic. Called (888-223-2FOX). The CSR says they know nothing about this problem. I asked for a supervisor. Got a voice mail. Left a message. I'll report the results if/when the supervisor returns my call.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I received a call back from the supervisor (only took about an hour.) I was told I would NOT have to return the box set (or even the wrong YF disc for that matter) and that the replacement YF (anamorphic) DVD would be sent to me on Monday.

This will hopefully be a happy conclusion to this matter.

Thank you TCF :)

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio
I got my YF replacement a couple of weeks ago. It took about a month to receive it after placing the phone call.

Didn't have to ship the box to them. They just sent a replacement DVD & cover.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Well....

As I am ready to jump on this set, I was just wondering if the issues have been resolved...

Hate to buy and get whupped with the non-an version...

Dugger

Just to give everyone an update. I received the Mel Brooks Collection as a gift for Christmas. My parents had purchased the set from Amazon and it has the non-anamorphic YF. I called Fox and the CSR was very nice and she put me on the list to get a replacement YF DVD from them as they currently did not have any in stock. CSR did not know when it would be in stock.
So, there are still bad copies floating around out there and Fox doesn't currently have any replacements to send out.
I will update this thread when I get my replacement DVD, hopefully within a few weeks.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks