What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Ten Commandments -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

It's a new documentary. I would hang on to it anyway. I usually keep my dvds as reference if I need to compare something or for bonus features.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
The six-part documentary from the 50th anniversary set was not included in this latest release. The six disc set contains DVD and BluRay copies of both the 1956 film version and the new "Making of" documentary. So, yes, you should have two copies: one BluRay and one DVD.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I was concerned as well, but never fear. Everything in the 6-part doc (35 minutes total) is pretty much included in the new 75-minute making of, including many of the same interview quotes from Heston and Bernstein. There is nothing I'm lacking now in the new blu-ray gift set, so the dvd set is going bye-bye.

Someone is going on several forums stating that the sound mix for this is wrong and that sound effects are missing all over the place and that the sound is not as good as the remix on the previous releases. I haven't watched the entire film yet (from what I have seen, I am beyond thrilled.) Can anyone who has seen this blu ray all the way through comment on the sound? It's odd that just one person has noticed this.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I would like to hear Joe Caps' opinion on the sound. Having produced the old laserdisc box set edition which, while containing rather dull colors, had a stunning never-surpassed soundtrack, Joe is a stickler when it comes to The Ten Commandments. I recall him once saying that a late fifties re-release had altered music cues during the Red Sea sequence and virtually all releases except his box set utilized these alterations. So if this BluRay has changes to the music during this sequence, this could be the reason. His box set had the original DeMille-approved music cues. Joe also had several other issues with music and reverb mixed too high or too low on earlier releases.

I have seen the new version projected digitally and the sound was phenomenal. For the first time since Joe's old laserdisc, the Entr'acte sounded like true stereo as opposed to reprocessed mono. This film was originally released with a mono track according to Paramount's restoration team, but I've heard rumors that DeMille did request a stereo mix for one or two prestige theatres. Nonetheless, those looking for lots of activity in the rear speakers should realize that most pre-Dolby-era films tended to spread the sound widely across the front and save the mono surround speaker for isolated instances to "wow" the audience.

I'd love to hear what Joe Caps has to say. Given all the issues he's had with earlier DVD releases, I wouldn't judge this restoration by them. If he's pleased, I wouldn't be concerned at all.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Thanks guys!! I love the forum for just problems you can put out and get a quick response. I love the box set! I also noticed i had no color on the Red Sea 1923 portion. Thanks again guys!!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I also wanted to ask is there any info on a HD release of The Buccaneer, Samson & Delilah, The Greatest Show on Earth

Mike, this isn't going to deter me from enjoying it. For all I know, this is just someone stirring up trouble. But I don't know. And maybe I don't really want to. Because, for me, this is the best blu-ray I own. And it is more than I could've asked for!

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
None yet as far as I can tell, but head over to the Ron Smith thread and add these films to the votes. Ron Smith is the VP of Restoration and Preservation at Paramount and is interested in knowing what HTF's Top Ten films to be restored (by them) would be...

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/309808/he-just-restored-the-ten-commandments-now-ron-smith-wants-to-hear-from-you-what-paramount-films-you-would-like-to-see-restored

Originally Posted by Mark Collins

I also wanted to ask is there any info on a HD release of The Buccaneer, Samson & Delilah, The Greatest Show on Earth

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Finally opened my box set of this and have to say as nice as it looks it's a terrible package design. Whoever designed the hub and holder part of this should be fired. The discs fall out and it's nearly impossible to close the disc flap without knocking the discs off the hub. Also the little tiny magnets are not enough to keep the tablets together.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
All of that, plus I'm not sure how long the Red Sea structure is going to hold up, so I'm as careful with it as I can possibly be because it's just going to look and feel like shit once a part breaks or tears. The whole design is potentially so wonderful. It really needed another dollar put into it. Oh, and those transparent slipcovers -- how long is everyone's going to last without tearing or getting smashed by something when it's off the box?

What galls me about the disc holders is that with probably very slight modification they could have built conventional ones into the tablets. Why all this reinvention of how to design a disc holder? Think of Fox's absolutely horrible nubs in the "Planet of the Apes" set. And Universal's "Back to the Future" fiasco.

That said, I love this "Ten Commandments" package, and the swag inside. It's as awkward as any of them to get the goods in and out of, but my things are well cared for to an extreme and I'm happy when I see this one on the shelf.

I will eventually purchase the two-disc because the boxed set is so beautiful that I don't want to destroy it. That way, I can have a copy that I can get to (often) without having to part the sea!

rev ffred

Auditioning
Real Name
rob carter
those holders for the b/r aren't! double sided tape are just too flimsy! Packed death to see if the scratches were going to play hell with what hit the wall Blessed none detected but being an 'ole fart' sharper eyes may pick up sins of omission. I will be careful with choosing these 'flash' productions maybe just purchase movie only O/A well worth the watch can't detail the sound in big #'s but was Ok for my ears

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I must of got lucky with my fancy set. It's sturdy as hell, not a delicate flower, and I don't see it falling a part anytime soon. I don't anticipate having to ever replace this unless the next formats release is considerably better. I certainly wont be buying a second copy just so I don't have to part the red sea to get to the discs.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
My guess is that blu-ray is the end of the line for the physical format, but I could be wrong...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks