What's new

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Incidentally, thanks to my AMC A-list subscription, I’ll be able to see this for free. I will endeavor to see as many variations as I can and will report back when I do.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I did make the effort to see the 70mm print, driving over 200 miles to do so. As reported the presentation and the print at AFI Silver were decidedly substandard. I do not choose to see 2K IMAX but it is what is available within a reasonable distance. I saddens me that this compromised version is the best I can do, but I really do not have any choice.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just checked and my local Xenon IMAX will be showing 2001. I think I will go to the 7:15 Thursday preview.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
How can you determine which IMAX projection system is being used?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Never mind. Found a list online. Apparently the closest IMAX Laser location to me is the AMC Lincoln Square. Was hoping my IMAX theater near me was but nope.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, but unfortunately Lincoln Square is going to be one of the places showing the Nolan 70mm print instead of the new 4K restoration.

Empire 25 in Times Square will have the restoration on their xenon system.

I’m going to try to see it at both, Lincoln for the sheer size of it, and Empire for a peek at the restoration.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
My answer: because IMAX consistently delivers quality presentations at their theaters and remains accountable to their audience if they fall short.

I’ve seen many presentations with the IMAX 2K dual projector system that have exceeded 4K presentations of the same film in regular auditoriums.

I think the bigger question is, why show a questionable 70mm print when they’ve got brand new, state of the art dual 4K laser projectors right there?

I’m all in favor of watching The Dark Knight, shot with IMAX 15/70 film and contact printed from the original negative, on film. But I don’t understand the point of showing a poor quality print over a better quality digital file, which would be the case with “2001” at those select locations.

IMAX conversions give the audience a nice boost in quality, with their proprietary tech, but two 2k projectors do not 4k make.

What you get is a nicely balanced, properly bright image, and quality audio, that one can feel in their chest.

But unless the process can allow the full resolving power of an original 70mm print, and black blacks, I’ll still go for 4k.

As to the Nolanized 70mm prints, they’re not “questionable.” They’re true 5-perf 70mm prints with fourth to sixth generation imagery, along with all of the generational and age related analogue ills that can befall film.

They are precisely what they are, which can fool many a filmgoer into believing that they’re actually viewing 2001 as Mr. Nolan intended, when he made the film.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Yeah, but unfortunately Lincoln Square is going to be one of the places showing the Nolan 70mm print instead of the new 4K restoration.

Empire 25 in Times Square will have the restoration on their xenon system.

I’m going to try to see it at both, Lincoln for the sheer size of it, and Empire for a peek at the restoration.

Is there now sizzle regarding xenon lamps, as something special?

Worth paying an extra ten for xenon?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Never mind. Found a list online. Apparently the closest IMAX Laser location to me is the AMC Lincoln Square. Was hoping my IMAX theater near me was but nope.

Care to share a link?

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
How can you determine which IMAX projection system is being used?

Care to share a link?

There's also this handy map that @UFAlien at blu-ray.com created and maintains which specifies not only the type of projector(s) but the size of the screen as well:

Commercial IMAX Theatres

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1cDWIGxzcBYV_bMXEu9M0NshXv9A&ll=30.7667963948781,-4.21875&z=2

Keep in mind that there are only 12 IMAX theatres in North America that have a 4k laser projection system and four of them—AMC Universal Citywalk IMAX, Universal City, AMC Lincoln Square IMAX, New York City, AMC Metreon IMAX, San Francisco, and Ontario Place Cinesphere IMAX, Toronto—are showing Nolan's unrestored 70mm print.

I'm disappointed that of the four 70'+-wide IMAX screens in the Chicagoland area, only one has listings for 2001: A Space Odyssey as of today. And one of those without a listing is the 85'-wide screen at Navy Pier with 4k laser projection.

It's also disappointing that this 4k DCP is an IMAX exclusive and they aren't rolling it out to the Dolby Cinemas as well. It wouldn't necessarily had to have been graded for Dolby Vision or Atmos, but at least there would be more theaters showing it natively with 4k laser projectors.

Last edited:

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
The Hollywood Chinese Theater is showing 2001 in Imax Laser 4k. It has an odd size screen. Does anyone have experience seeing Imax here? How do you think 2001 will look on this screen?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Hollywood Chinese Theater is showing 2001 in Imax Laser 4k. It has an odd size screen. Does anyone have experience seeing Imax here? How do you think 2001 will look on this screen?

If the screen is still the silver material, there are objectionable hotspots. Might have been removed since my last visit.

ArnoldLayne

Premium
Real Name
Chris
"They are precisely what they are, which can fool many a filmgoer into believing that they’re actually viewing 2001 as Mr. Nolan intended, when he made the film."

LOL!!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'll be seeing 2001 at the same AMC I went to in 2012 to see Lawrence of Arabia (in 4K DLP), so I'm optimistic. They're an all-4K house and even the regular screens are huge.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
My go-to theater in South Florida. Excellent.
I keep begging Dolby and AMC to open a premium format screen and sound system over on the west coast.
Only thing we have is an ordinary Imax In lower Ft Myers. :^(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks