What's new

A few thoughts on League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
LoEG is a film which I missed theatrically.

Aside from a typically superb performance from Mr. Connery, the word on the street was that the film could easily be missed.

I've now had the opportunity to screen the new DVD release, and came away with mixed thoughts which I felt might be worth sharing.

This film is great fun, but makes little sense scriptwise. If you read Roger Ebert's review you'll get the drift of the story and inherent problems.

Having said that I must also report that the film is great fun and a veritable lexicon of the current state of the art special effects.

The effects in the film work brilliantly. For those who haven't seen the film I won't go into them, but on a large screen they should be quite impressive.

LoEG has a great opening, but somehow loses its way as it continues. There is, for example, a race through the "streets" of Venice which makes no sense whatsoever.

This is a film which wasn't well reviewed and could easily fall through the cracks. While I can't suggest that HTFers go out and purchase this film, I do believe that it should be given a rental. It ends up in that category of well-intentioneed films with extremely impressive digital efx.

RAH

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I agree with you Robert. I saw LXG theatrically. I enjoyed it and thought it was very cool visually. However, I decided to pass on buying it for the simple reason that I don't think I'll ever be sitting around one day and say, "I think I'll watch LXG."

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
I enjoyed LXG. It was good mindless pulp fantasy in the tradition of "The Rocketeer". I can hardly wait to buy this bad boy.

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
I saw it during the theatrical release. Great special effects, but the plot was incoherent. Probably best to rent first rather than buying sight-unseen.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I saw it during its theatrical release and have no desire to purchase the dvd. In short, the film was a mess!

Crawdaddy

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
Granted, it was a dumbed-down version of the comic book, but it was cool in its' "lack of logic/plot be damned" execution.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
For me, this was the biggest disappointment of the summer. The story was incoherent, and the shaking cinematography in the chase scenes was migraine-inducing on the big screen...

I'm only slightly familiar with the comic, and I think the premise is excellent. There was so much that could have been done with this film that wasn't... and that was what was so disappointing.

This was one that even Mr. Connery couldn't save. While the set pieces and effects were also of interest, they couldn't save it, either.

I wanted to like it. I really did. Alas, this one won't become a part of my collection.

-Scott

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hollywood seems to have a problem adapting Moore's writing to the big screen. I read, somewhere, that his book "V for Vendetta" was also being adapted for the movies. I wonder what they will do to murder that book?

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
Saw this one in the theater's and I have to buy it for the fact that I loved the GN. I was hoping for a beef cake version of the film but, it's good for some mindless fun.

Zak Hepburn

Stunt Coordinator
The film looks a treat,but as a huge fan on the comic I feel that they misjudged a lot of the characters in the film."Mina" in perticular.I won't be buying the disc.

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
I'm a comic book fan but I haven't got around to reading LXG comic but the word is the comic is awesome and the movie really wasn't like the comic. It also doesn't help when the director left the project midway through :frowning:...

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

If you're even the least bit familiar with the Victorian literature that inspired these characters you can't help but groan at the horrid reimagining. Quatermain was wrong, especially since his death was covered in Haggard's novels. Mina was wrong. Dorian Gray was WAY OFF (immortal? Really?), Tom Saywer (although not a Victorian novel) was far too young. It was a mess.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I enjoyed the film, it grossed well over $100 million worldwide so, perhaps surprisingly, it wasn't a box office disaster. It is messy and silly but in an endearing sort of way I thought. A guilty pleasure movie, and a lot more fun than Matrix Revolutions, looking forward to the dvd.:)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Aside from a typically superb performance from Mr. Connery, the word on the street was that the film could easily be missed.
I think calling Connery's performance superb is really generous. He's the best thing in the film, to be sure, but that's really not saying much of anything at all. A true low point for the careers of everyone involved. My companion and I were on the floor through the whole movie, it was so spectacularly poor. The total ignorance of basic physics and continuity is utterly spectacular. I didn't even think suspension of disbelief was possible with this flick.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks