What's new

A Complete Change of Life: Going Back to School With a Learning Disability (1 Viewer)

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
OK, I'm seriously pissed off. The job just cut my pay by $16. a month due to a reassessment of hour allocation for shift differential. I've had it. I've put up with more crap since our management change and this is just one more example of how a good job can be ruined by incompetant management.

I want to chuck it all and go back to college and finish my degree. I expect I'll have at least 3 years to go and I will likely have to work while going to school. I'd like to get something in network security or network management/engineering but.... and this is a kicker... I have an eighth grade math capability and all the curricula I see require advanced mathematics like calculus and trigonometery. I currently work as a network support technician but feel I'm against the wall without a bachelor's degree. I'm not earning what I need and there doesn't appear to be any advancement.

I'd like some ideas about going to school as close to full-time as possible while working full-time as well. There are no schools near where I am so I will have to move somewhere else. I'm not married and don't have a family so I can pretty much just uproot and go.

My problems, as I see it, are that I don't have the math ability to get the degree I want nor do I have a job that allows me to work and go to school at the same time. At this point I'm desperate. At 38 I know this will be big but I'm sick of living paycheck-to-paycheck and every year earning less versus the cost of living in my area (which is skyrocketing). In any event, I can't afford to live here unless my employer coughs-up a big raise but even then I don't see any career path. Our company stopped career pathing at the management change along with some other goodies :angry: .

Has anyone done this? Just chucked it all to go back to school to try and earn more money when you get out? I'm pretty nervous about this and getting financial aid and my chances of completing the curriculum I want with my math disability. Would schools let that slide if I had proof?

Ugh.... I'm hating life about now.

A

Andrew_A_Paul

Try University of Phoenix. I know someone that receive their masters from there. From what i understand its pretty reputable and meant for people as an alternative to a "traditional" campus" atmosphere university.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Don't let your math problems stop you. Check with your local college and universities for disability resource centers. Most schools should have them. By working with them you can get extra help in your classes and sometimes work out special arrangements for getting notetakers, extra time on exams etc...
You can also choose a degree that may not require heavy math requirements. Getting an engineering or computer science degree and just wanting to run a network or do sys admin work is complete overkill!
Check into a business degree with a MIS/CIS (management/computer info systems concentration). Should require only a basic math class or two.

Good Luck!
Jeff

Phil_L

Second Unit
There are schools that specialize in those with disabilities. My mom is a special education teacher and one of her former students is going to attend Mitchell College in CT. Check it out, it may be of interest. I wish you luck in your new life adventure!!

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Jason,

Nothing like crappy circumstances to motivate change. This may end up being the best thing that has ever happened to you - it just doesn't seem like it now.

Awhile back I had started a thread about online education and the pros and cons. There was some feedback on both sides but I ended up enrolling in the University of Phoenix online program. They have an information technology program with a BS degree and various concentrations. I am pursuing an IT degree with a concentration in software engineering. So far I have to say it's been great for me as an alternative to brick and mortar schooling. The classes are 5 weeks long and pretty intense. I don't feel I am missing a thing in terms of the quality of the education I am receiving.

Can't comment on the "Chucking it all" approach as I haven't done it. I have known other people who have and it seems that they made out ok. I wouldn't worry about the math - you can get all the help, tutuoring and appropriate classes based on your experience level.

Good luck and the one last thing I would say is don't put it off - dive in and take charge! Does your employer pay for classes?

Chris

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
You should skip the college and go straight for certification. The CISSP would be a nice place tro start.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks