What's new

8ohm Fronts with 4ohm Surrounds? (1 Viewer)

Richard Little

Stunt Coordinator
Can I cheap out for a little while by using 8ohm mains and center while at the same time drive 4ohm surrounds on the same reciever (Elite 45TX). Will this lead to problems or dammage the reciever?

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
as long as each channel of the amp can handle the load you are presenting to it, it will be fine. mixing impedances is ok. i'm running doubled advents across the front, which give 4 ohms nominal per channel (3 ohm minimum) and 8 ohm speakers in the rear. no problems.

ag.

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
Would the "ohm switch" need to be changed to accomodate the 4 ohm surrounds or is that just if the main l/r speakers are less than 8 ohms?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
If all channels can be switched separately, set each to the actual impedance of the connected drivers. If there's only one master switch, set it to the impedance of the fronts & center.

The rationale here being, that the surrounds will seldom get as much sound power to process as the mains.

Cees

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
So with that same rationale what if the mains are 8 ohms and the center is 6 ohm with one master ohm switch? Should it be kept on the default 8-16 ohms? I also have a Pioneer Elite and I'm curious about this. My manual recommends nothing less than 6 ohms but not about how to configure the switch for mixed speakers?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
What are the exact settings to choose from?

In principle, I would still choose 8 Ohms in your case, but 6 Ohms wouldn't be too bad (if it exists as an option).

Cees

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
Those are the exact settings to choose from. 8ohms and 6 ohms. So it sounds like either would be fine. Thanks Cees.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks