What's new

Polk Audio LSi series speakers w/ Pio Elite 82TXS (1 Viewer)

TRINADS

Agent
Real Name
Jimmy
I know the Polks are rated at 4ohms, and my Pio Elite outputs at 8ohms, but do you think there is ample power for these speakers from the Pio? or am I missing out by not having an external amp? LSi15's fronts, LSiC center, FXI-A4 surrounds. Anybody have this combo? just curious as to what settings you use also. Has anybody done any easy "tweaks" to the Polk speakers? I heard of people stuffing there port hole to get "better" bass response, and to replace the metal jumper with regular audio cable, does this really have a noticeable effect to the sound? Anyway, your thoughts are appreciated.

McLoki

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Hand
If your AVR is not rated for 4 ohms, it may go into thermal shutdown when running the LSi's. (There is a potential for damage to the AVR, but not much since that is what thermal protection is there to prevent - make sure it is well ventilated) The more likely thing is that in the middle of demoing your awesome home theater to your bose loving friends all your stuff will turn off and you won't be able to turn it back on until it cools down. Embarrasing to be sure....

I run an external amp and it sounds great. Is it miles better than running from an AVR - not really (bass is better though) - but I don't have to worry about it shutting down in the middle of a demo either....

As far as tweaks for your LSi15's - I recommend dropping by the polk forum and asking there. There is quite a bit of knowledge floating around for you to pick up on.

(stuffing the port will change the sound - try it and see if you like it better or not, the brass plate replacement - I did it and really did not notice any improvement from it. YMMV....)

Michael

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
If you don't listen to music and movies very loud, you'll probably be ok. But if you crank them up, especially for an extended period of time, your receiver could go into "Protection" mode, as was already mentioned.

A friend uses Polk LSi9 speakers, with his Denon 2802 receiver, and he doesn't have a problem. But he lives in an apartment building for older folks, so he doesn't crank it up. He's used his for several years now.
Good luck!

Ask Pioneer and see what they say about it.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

TRINADS

Agent
Real Name
Jimmy
Thanks for the replies, Yeah, it is fortunate for my receiver that i don't play it too loud, although I have had them pretty loud on occasion, such as the middle of the day, where I can be a little loud.
-How about sound quality wise? Would a decent external amp 'sound better' than the Pio Elite? Even at low volumes would it be a night and day difference? Just curious, a decent amp is a pretty expensive item.

McLoki

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Hand
It would sound better, but not night and day (imo). A decent amp does not have to cost an arm and a leg. Acurus makes a 3 channel amp that could run your front stage and is 200wpc (into 8 ohms). You can pick it up on the used market for around $400-$450.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks