What's new

Polk Audio LSi 15 or LSi 25 and separates or new AVR? Help (1 Viewer)

wetcoast

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Hi there.

I was wondering if you might be able to help me make a decision on the direction I should be heading with my theatre.

I've got a Denon AVR-886 from a few years back that has served me well thus far but the front two channels have lost their ability to produce low range frequencies. I have a Klipsch quintet system and a Klipsch KSW-12. I'll move the quintet into the surround and surround back positions once I get the new towers. I watch movies for the majority of my usage but I do entertain often enough to want to impress with some substatial music volume.

I'm going to buy either the Polk Audio LSi 25 or LSi 15 and a LSiC speakers.

My question is whether I'm better off getting a post amp with a big power rating and use the pre-outs from my Denon until I'm ready to get into a more serious pre/processor or just dump the Denon and get a new AVR to power the new fronts.

I realize that the two options are vastly different in cost and complexity but my biggest question would have to be is a separate system worth the added cost and if I go with a separate system do I need the LSi 25's?

Thanks a lot in advance for your opinions!

Chris

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi Chris,

Unless your room is extremely large, you current Denon has more than enough power.

Speakers usually don't loose the ability to produce sounds. Something must have happened. Now, I'm assuming you have the speakers set to 'small' and you are using the subwoofer to reproduce the low end??? If yes, what is the crossover for your fronts set at?

"Small" means "send everything below x crossover to the sub". If you are setup this way, then your fronts would not play the lower frequencies. BTW - This is the correct way to do it with your setup.

The Polks you mention would go lower, but I'd get a better subwoofer first.

wetcoast

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Thanks for the quick reply David.

Once I thought about it some more I believe it's a problem with the volume of the Left and Right Channels on the Denon. When I ran the room eq auto setup on the Denon the Left and Right speakers were very quiet, and the reason I presumed was that the receiver had lost its ability to put out low frequencies but in hindsight I'm guessing there's just something wrong with the amplification. Plus I've played with the small and large setting as well as the cross over frequency setting to no avail.

Which leads me to something else I just realized in that the Polk LSi's I've been planning to purchase are 4 ohm which the Denon AVR-886(2106) is not rated for.

So I should probably rephase my question.

Is my Denon a good enough processor to warrant only getting a multi channel power amp or should I spend the power amp money on a 4 ohm capable combined AVR?

I thought my sub was not too bad. Is that another piece I should be looking to replace?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.