80s Family Comedies on DVD

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Amy Mormino, May 6, 2004.

1. Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino Supporting Actor

The next few months will see a ton of 1980s TV shows released to DVD, which is a very welcome development. With the recent announcements of Punky Brewster andDiff'rent Strokes (can't believe no one started a thread when that was announced), I thought I'd make a list of all the major family comedies of the 80s.

Of these, only the previous two shows have been announced, which is pretty strange considering the better-known shows which haven't been released. Note: By 80s show, I mean a show that had the majority of its broadcast run in the 80s.

Diff'rent Strokes
    Punky Brewster
    The Cosby Show (why hasn't this been released yet!?)
    Family Ties
    Growing Pains
    The Facts of Life
    Mr. Belvedere
    Charles in Charge (now I'm streching a bit)
    Silver Spoons

Probably a few more I can't remember. Of these, I'd definitely buy at least one season of The Facts of Life and I'd seriously consider The Cosby Show, Family Ties, Diff'rent Strokes, and even Punky Brewster out of nostalgia. What about all of you?

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Answer: the property-owner has never released any DVDs for any of their properties in the US, and is in the process now of getting together with a distributor so that this can happen. Obviously they are looking for a generous bid, since this show (and others they own: Roseanne, 3rd Rock From The Sun, That 70's Show, A Different World, and more) is like a license to make money.

Patience; this issue is in the process of being resolved.

As for Silver Spoons, which is owned by a completely different company: I know that people involved with the show are hoping to get some momentum going on a release for that, especially with other releases that are sort-of related to that show already having been announced. I'm keeping an eye on that one, too. Well, technically, I keep an eye on "Everything". [​IMG]

3. Sean.S

Sean.S Stunt Coordinator

Diff'rent Strokes is already on my must buy list. And, even though I've never seen Punky Brewster, I might buy it.

As for one's not announced...I would like Family Ties, The Cosby Show, The Facts of Life, and one you didn't mention, Small Wonder.

4. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

The only one id buy out of the one's you have listed would probably be Family Ties.

5. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Don't forget about Who's the Boss?, which is generally always mentioned in the same breath as Growing Pains. [​IMG] Season one is due in June.

6. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

rob
    Don't forget:
    Webster
    Gimme a Break!
    Mama's Family
    The Hogan Family
    Kate & Allie

I would probably buy the first few seasons of Diff'rent Strokes, Facts of Life, and Mr. Belvedere.

7. Rhoq

Rhoq Supporting Actor

Personally, I would love to see Alf and Doogie Howser, M.D. on DVD.

8. ChrisRose

ChrisRose Stunt Coordinator

Family Ties! The best 80's tv show, in my mind. [​IMG]

I'd buy Facts of Life too, out of nostalgia. But I'm just dying for Family Ties. I wonder why it's taking so long?

9. Brooke

Brooke Stunt Coordinator

I would love "Family Ties", my all-time favourite 80s sitcom. The others I would buy are:

The Hogan Family
    21 Jump Street
    Charles in Charge
    The Charmings
    Heart of the City
    Midnight Caller
    Moonlighting
    My Sister Sam
    My Two Dads
    Silver Spoons
    Thirtysomething (my favourite 80s drama)

EDITED: oops, just realised I included dramas in here and it's a comedy thread. Sorry 'bout that.

10. JasonBrown

JasonBrown Stunt Coordinator

It spans a bit of the early 1990s, but hoping for an eventual 'Perfect Strangers' release as well.

11. Deb Walsh

Deb Walsh Stunt Coordinator

My favorite comedies of the 1980s would have to be:

My Two Dads
    Family Ties
    Bosom Buddies

I'd buy every season of each of those shows without a pause.

12. Chris:L

Chris:L Supporting Actor

The Wonder Years! But, of course, this set will never see the light of day!

13. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

I never really thought of the wonder years as a sitcom i think it is closer to a drama. I dunno though maybe i am wrong or is it a dramedy ? [​IMG]

14. Chris:L

Chris:L Supporting Actor

It consisted of dry comedy!

15. MichaelFA

MichaelFA Stunt Coordinator

The first three seasons (especially season 1) of Family Ties were just completely and totally amazing.

WHERE IS THE SEASON 1 ANNOUNCEMENT?!

16. Jamie Middleton

Jamie Middleton Stunt Coordinator

the ultimate 80s sitcome )albeit a little underapreciated) that needs to make its way to dvd is Just The Ten Of Us...anyone else remember this show that aired as part of TGIF back in the day on ABC? man i can remember watchin that show every night ( i was only 9 or 10 when the show aired) It was awesome and Id love to see that show released.

17. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    I want Just the 10 of Us, Day by Day,The Charmings and Rags to Riches.

Just the 10 of Us spun off of Growing Pains, needed too, was greater than all the rest and like Growing Pains grew absurd as it went along, a quality I love in a series.

Day by Day was a spinoff of Family Ties about a family that ran a daycare out of its house but the pop culture teenage icon star was the guy that played Greg Brady in the Brady Bunch movie, he always wore a blue robe, was obsessed with classic TV and his best friends were two older women played by Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Crystal Bernard. Oddly enough, before the Brady Bunch movies he had a dream on this show where he was another Brady son and he played Greg Brady in Helen's dream on Wings.

18. Dan*T

Dan*T Supporting Actor

Here's my list;

first & foremost:
    MR.BELVEDERE

also,
    Who's The Boss (have we hit a dead end after the season 1 release??)

Perfect Strangers (offered as a bonus DVD w/Night Court, so there may be hope)

Family Ties
    Roseanne
    Coach
    etc,etc,etc....

19. Gregory V

Gregory V Stunt Coordinator

I would buy the First two seasons of Mama's Family. It was funny when Rue McClanahan was in it and Carol Burnett made occasional appearances.

20. Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino Supporting Actor

Hey, someone revived my old thread! Kind of sad to see that not too much progress has been made since the start of the thread, with only Family Ties and The Cosby Show announced. But I'm optimistic, especially for The Facts of Life, my number one 80s comedy hopeful.