What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (5 Viewers)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I'd like to issue a general plea to all here: when you find a resource relevant to this thread, please post a link. All the cool kids are doing it.

EDIT: What I meant to say is, if you post a link, it makes things easier for the rest of us to find.
You kids today! Ya want everything easy. In my day we had to Google for our information.:rolling-smiley:

Bob Goughan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Goughan
Rustifer, you did write about both the episodes I mentioned and characterized RIchard Rust that way in both, but I have to agree with Gary16, that never crossed my mind, either.

In one post, you kind of brushed off his career as being kind of insignificant, but he worked steadily for twenty years, from age 20-40, with 52 credits. And I just noticed today that if you appeared on a series, whether once or 50 times, they consider that 1 credit, so his full season of 28 episodes of the Sam Benedict series, is listed as 1 credit.

Now I'm interested in that Sam Benedict series. Has it EVER been around anywhere on a retro channel?

It's so crazy that luck is such a part of an actor's career. I remember Adam West always saying people say "persistence" is, but he said luck was far more important. Would we know him if it weren't for Batman? Would we know Carroll O'Connor if not for Archie? O'Connor had nearly 75 credits before he got that role. Mostly, TV, in shows ranging from things like The Untouchables to the Time Tunnel! There were THREE pilots made for what became All in the Family. Luck!

Once in awhile, because we easily can on IMDB, I'll look up an actor on a series episode or film that I see because I wonder something about them. More often than not, they have few credits and have disappeared. Once in awhile it's the complete opposite.

I watched an episode of Green Acres where a runaway boy appears and won't say where he came from. It's a really amusing episode and the boy is very funny. So, I thought I'd look him up. The episode aired in early 1968 and was titled "Home is Where You Run Away From." The actor's name was Gary Dubin. I wondered if he had been in anything else, because he was really good in this episode.

To my surprise, he'd been working ever since, and at around the same time I had looked him up, he'd just appeared in a theatre production in a theatre not too far from me. He has 84 credits listed on IMDB, and did voice work, dozens of TV roles like The F.B.I., Bracken's World, Mod Squad, Land of the Giants, Adam-12, The Facts of Life, Beverly Hills 90210...and some movies, like Diamonds are Forever and Jaws 2.

Unfortunately, looking him up today, I found he succumbed to bone cancer at age 57, in 2016 at a hospital in Burbank, less than two years ago. Bad luck.

Bob Goughan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Goughan
Rustifer, you did write about both the episodes I mentioned and characterized RIchard Rust that way in both, but I have to agree with Gary16, that never crossed my mind, either.

In one post, you kind of brushed off his career as being kind of insignificant, but he worked steadily for twenty years, from age 20-40, with 52 credits. And I just noticed today that if you appeared on a series, whether once or 50 times, they consider that 1 credit, so his full season of 28 episodes of the Sam Benedict series, is listed as 1 credit.

Now I'm interested in that Sam Benedict series. Has it EVER been around anywhere on a retro channel?

It's so crazy that luck is such a part of an actor's career. I remember Adam West always saying people say "persistence" is, but he said luck was far more important. Would we know him if it weren't for Batman? Would we know Carroll O'Connor if not for Archie? O'Connor had nearly 75 credits before he got that role. Mostly, TV, in shows ranging from things like The Untouchables to the Time Tunnel! There were THREE pilots made for what became All in the Family. Luck!

Once in awhile, because we easily can on IMDB, I'll look up an actor on a series episode or film that I see because I wonder something about them. More often than not, they have few credits and have disappeared. Once in awhile it's the complete opposite.

I watched an episode of Green Acres where a runaway boy appears and won't say where he came from. It's a really amusing episode and the boy is very funny. So, I thought I'd look him up. The episode aired in early 1968 and was titled "Home is Where You Run Away From." The actor's name was Gary Dubin. I wondered if he had been in anything else, because he was really good in this episode.

To my surprise, he'd been working ever since, and at around the same time I had looked him up, he'd just appeared in a theatre production in a theatre not too far from me. He has 84 credits listed on IMDB, and did voice work, dozens of TV roles like The F.B.I., Bracken's World, Mod Squad, Land of the Giants, Adam-12, The Facts of Life, Beverly Hills 90210...and some movies, like Diamonds are Forever and Jaws 2.

Unfortunately, looking him up today, I found he succumbed to bone cancer at age 57, in 2016 at a hospital in Burbank, less than two years ago. Bad luck.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I hate to be a trainspotter, but in fact it's the first star west of North Sycamore on the north side of Hollywood Blvd.

Maybe the star finder guide I used has the wrong address. They have 7095. The address on the corner that you point out is 7051. (?)

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
You kids today! Ya want everything easy. In my day we had to Google for our information.:rolling-smiley:
Oh, I know. ;) It's just that I was thinking about what I said about this thread becoming an important resource for research on the show when I happened upon a thread on HTF dedicated to The Fugitive. It dwarfs this thread in age and length (although I expect we'll get there too someday). Reading it at some length, I note that it actually has exerted influence upon the DVD releases.

Apparently, when the second season was released initially, most if not all of the original music, cues, songs and stock music, was replaced with horrible synthesizer music, and there were technical problems with some of the discs as well. Feedback and direct action initiated on that thread actually impelled CBS/Paramount to re-release the affected episodes with most of the original music restored, and to offer replacement discs at no charge upon request.

If they can do it, maybe we can do it. But it would help if we were to leverage our interest as much as possible. If we were to provide direct links to related 77SS information, not only would this be a more valuable resource for research, but it would make it much more likely that this information will be accessed, increasing 77SS-related Web activity.

It may be just a pipe dream, but my hope is that we here can generate enough activity to be noticed by Warner Brothers, and maybe induce them to try at least a small DVD release.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
I've mentioned the film The Stranger in these pages recently, because its cast includes not only Richard Long's second film appearance, but also Byron Keith's first.

I'm bringing it up again because my wife and I happened to catch it on cable today. We hadn't seen the film in some time, and I had forgotten two things: one, just how good the film is; two, Long's role is substantial. He is an essential supporting character who helps move a lot of plot, mostly paired with Edward G. Robinson. Keith is also in the film throughout and is also essential, although his screen time is not long overall.

While this film is worth watching on its own merits, I think it holds a special attraction for us fans of the WB detective series because it provides a good long look at Richard Long in distinguished company at the very start of his career, when he was just 19 years old.

The film is directed by Orson Welles, and it shows it, even though Welles cited this as his least favorite of his directorial efforts. Then again, it is the only of them to have shown a profit in its original release. There are many interesting entries in the Trivia section for the film on IMDb that are worth a read.

And, because I just nagged about this, here's a link to the film on the Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/the_stranger_film .

Fair warning: the linked print appears to be about four minutes shorter than the IMDb-indicated release print length. But, hey, waddaya want for nothin'?

For those of you with Amazon Prime, the film is available for free, in a more-or-less complete, if not terribly clean, print:

https://amazon.com/Stranger-Edward-G-Robinson/dp/B001FH7YHO/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1531051565&sr=1-1&keywords=the+stranger

Go! Watch!

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Oh, I know. ;) It's just that I was thinking about what I said about this thread becoming an important resource for research on the show when I happened upon a thread on HTF dedicated to The Fugitive. It dwarfs this thread in age and length (although I expect we'll get there too someday). Reading it at some length, I note that it actually has exerted influence upon the DVD releases.

Apparently, when the second season was released initially, most if not all of the original music, cues, songs and stock music, was replaced with horrible synthesizer music, and there were technical problems with some of the discs as well. Feedback and direct action initiated on that thread actually impelled CBS/Paramount to re-release the affected episodes with most of the original music restored, and to offer replacement discs at no charge upon request.

If they can do it, maybe we can do it. But it would help if we were to leverage our interest as much as possible. If we were to provide direct links to related 77SS information, not only would this be a more valuable resource for research, but it would make it much more likely that this information will be accessed, increasing 77SS-related Web activity.

It may be just a pipe dream, but my hope is that we here can generate enough activity to be noticed by Warner Brothers, and maybe induce them to try at least a small DVD release.
No worries - I just couldn't resist. :P
I enjoy the WB detective series and wish they were available in other than homemades. I even more enjoy the enthusiasm shown in this thread and like reading it. I don't know if it will get the stuff released but I applaud the efforts here.

Last edited:

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
I enjoy the WB detective series and wish they were available in other than homemades. I even more enjoy the enthusiasm shown in this thread and enjoy reading it. I don't know if it will get the stuff released but I applaud the efforts here.

More than anything, I value the interaction with you all. I feel quite at home here.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
More than anything, I value the interaction with you all. I feel quite at home here.
And there I am jealous - started a thread on 30's and 40's mystery series and although it appears we have a lot of viewers - but only a couple of people ever respond.
I really don't have much new info on 77SS to post but I'll jump in occasionally to let you all know I'm here and enjoying the thoughts. We are all a lot a like here - we love movies and TV.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
And there I am jealous - started a thread on 30's and 40's mystery series and although it appears we have a lot of viewers - but only a couple of people ever respond.
I really don't have much new info on 77SS to post but I'll jump in occasionally to let you all know I'm here and enjoying the thoughts. We are all a lot a like here - we love movies and TV.
Your posts here are always well-received and quite justifiably so. Also, would you please post a link to the thread that you mention re 30s and 40s mystery series? It sounds right up my alley, but I have a real problem finding threads on HTF. My search-fu here is weak. It took some time for me to find the last thread you mentioned, for example.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Your posts here are always well-received and quite justifiably so. Also, would you please post a link to the thread that you mention re 30s and 40s mystery series? It sounds right up my alley, but I have a real problem finding threads on HTF. My search-fu here is weak. It took some time for me to find the last thread you mentioned, for example.
Thanks for asking.(I posted without a link :blush:)
30's and 40's Mystery Series Thread
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/mystery-crime-series-30s-40s.356939/

We'd love to have you visit. All are welcome whether you know something about them or are just curious - or just want to chat.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.

I agree with you and your very real "pipe dream" for this thread to not only be a valuable research tool, but possibly even be a direct influence on Warner Bros. I'll take it one step further. My hope is that people actually involved with the 77 SS series hear about this thread and become curious enough to look in on us. From there, maybe even input their own first-hand experiences. I'd be absolutely gob-smacked if Edd Byrnes or Robert Logan or Jacqueline Beer were to show up. Or other guest actors still around such as Joyce Meadows.
I would not take the least bit umbrage if Edd Brynes were to weigh in and declare all my posts as absolute bullsh*t, then relate his account of things as they really were. My oh my, how marvelous would that be? Bring me my smelling salts now!
In this regard, our thread would rise above just an aficionado's hobby of fond rembrances to the definitive vault of 77 SS narrative.
That's my pipe dream.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
I enjoy the WB detective series and wish they were available in other than homemades. I even more enjoy the enthusiasm shown in this thread and like reading it. I don't know if it will get the stuff released but I applaud the efforts here.
You do an admirable job yourself, Marv, in holding up the '30s-'40s crime mystery thread.
Yep...I'm one of your "silent" viewers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks