What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (5 Viewers)

fdabbott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
I wonder when Warner is gonna open the vaults on Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Surfside Six, and all the Westerns (Maverick, etc).

They are obviously serious about releasing some older stuff as there was a press release floating around stating that all 9 seasons of the F.B.I. were coming out later this year.
I wonder when Warner is gonna open the vaults on Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Surfside Six, and all the Westerns (Maverick, etc).

They are obviously serious about releasing some older stuff as there was a press release floating around stating that all 9 seasons of the F.B.I. were coming out later this year.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I realize a lot of photos of this location are pretty much the same. Have we seen this one before, c.1963?

19793575003_888ea58b1d_b.jpg

I always look for anything to do with the Sea Witch nearby in these photos, because there's even less of that place.
It seems I don't recall this one. Or the name appearing at Dino's: Ruth Gillis. Lots of different cars, too, if anyone
wants to name them.

Also, here's a link to a small part of a short called "Stopover in Hollywood." The video has a TCM logo in the corner, so it was shown on that station at some point. In this segment the car drives past the location in the photo above and it also shows Ruth Gillis appearing on the marquee. The image pixilates on occasion.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
MYSTERY SOLVED! I looked to see if Joyce has a website. She does. Selling autographed photos and other things. There was a contact address so I took a chance and wrote to her and asked her about the Dara Howard mystery.

Excellent work, Gary! Thanks for this great addition to our body of 77SS knowledge. This shows the benefit of our sometimes minute examination of the show. It may seem silly at times, but you keep piling up the little bits of knowledge, and pretty soon you've really got something.

When I first became interested in the show, I was dismayed to discover how little information on it was readily accessible. Now, I think it's reasonable to say that this has become the most complete single resource regarding the show on the Internet, considering all the links and fresh information brought together here.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
That's nice:wub:

ADDED: You guys may want to check out what did you watch in classic tv thread. They are having a discussion about the number of episodes in 77 sunset strip.

Interesting thread! I note that there was a general surprise at the remarkable length of Season 4: 41 episodes.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Last Saturday, my wife and I were in the area, so we took the time to visit Efrem Zimbalist Jr.'s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and discovered to our horror that it has been vandalized.

IMG_1432.jpg

Apparently, someone felt that his father should be immortalized here instead.

I have sent an e-mail to the HWOF people advising them of this. I'll let you all know if I receive a response.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
I realize a lot of photos of this location are pretty much the same. Have we seen this one before, c.1963?

19793575003_888ea58b1d_b.jpg

I always look for anything to do with the Sea Witch nearby in these photos, because there's even less of that place.
It seems I don't recall this one. Or the name appearing at Dino's: Ruth Gillis. Lots of different cars, too, if anyone
wants to name them.

Also, here's a link to a small part of a short called "Stopover in Hollywood." The video has a TCM logo in the corner, so it was shown on that station at some point. In this segment the car drives past the location in the photo above and it also shows Ruth Gillis appearing on the marquee. The image pixilates on occasion.

Nice little travelogue clip of Sunset Blvd., Martin. The traveler looks to be in what I'm guessing is a 1965 Chevy Impala. I especially like the interior shots of the car as I can see the dash--which always fascinated me as a kid. A car was only as cool as its dashboard. The glitzier, the better.
As for the main yellowish-tan car in the still photo foreground--it looks to be a 1953 Pontiac Chieftain.

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Excellent work, Gary! Thanks for this great addition to our body of 77SS knowledge. This shows the benefit of our sometimes minute examination of the show. It may seem silly at times, but you keep piling up the little bits of knowledge, and pretty soon you've really got something.

When I first became interested in the show, I was dismayed to discover how little information on it was readily accessible. Now, I think it's reasonable to say that this has become the most complete single resource regarding the show on the Internet, considering all the links and fresh information brought together here.
I heartily agree with you, Rob, that this thread may be the most complete single source of 77 SS anecdotes and narratives. We've all done a great job of digging out obscure facts on the series and should be proud of the accomplishment. Unfortunately it seems to appeal only to a small segment of folks since the show is basically 60 years past and only represents a 5-year span in the entire history of TV.
I'm hoping that its airing on MeTV reinvigorates a whole new interest in a target audience that heretofore knew nothing of the series.
In that regard, we shall all look like rock stars due to our knowledge and expertise!

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Last Saturday, my wife and I were in the area, so we took the time to visit Efrem Zimbalist Jr.'s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and discovered to our horror that it has been vandalized.

View attachment 47461

Apparently, someone felt that his father should be immortalized here instead.

I have sent an e-mail to the HWOF people advising them of this. I'll let you all know if I receive a response.
Damn shameful.

Is that a Criblecoblis shoe in the picture?

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
I

I plan to do that as soon as the items I ordered arrive. Then I can thank her and slip in some more questions. Stay tuned.
So Gary, Joyce appeared in 3 episodes of 77 SS: "Tarnished Idol" (as Dara Howard), "Perfect Setup", and "Six Superior Skirts. In all three of those episodes, she would have had the chance to work with all the major players--Roger Smith, Efrem Zimbalist, Jr., Edd Byrnes, Louis Quinn, Jacqueline Beer. It would be great to hear her take on each of them. I'm sure you'll have done some great research so as to ask the best questions. Her fan letters seem to zero in more on her movies than on her TV work.
How rare an opportunity to get to talk to someone who's actually been on the show and is still around! She could add scads of new info in this thread.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Tawdry TIDBITS...

If you're ever in the neighborhood of Mineral Wells, WV...there is a club named 77 Sunset Strip. However, I don't think it is a family-friendly place as it claims to be the only establishment in America where strippers dance on the ceiling.
That would be something one cannot unsee.

There is also a cocktail named 77 Sunset Strip:

1⁄2 oz Gin (London Dry)
1⁄2 oz Spiced Rum
1⁄2 oz
Vodka
1⁄2 oz
Triple Sec
1 1⁄2 oz
Pineapple Juice
1⁄2 oz
Grenadine
1 splash
7UP

1. Pour all 4 spirits onto ice and stir.
  2. Slowly pour the Grenadine onto ice and allow it to settle at the bottom of the glass.
  3. Then slowly pour the pineapple juice into the glass not mixing the grenadine.
  4. Top up with 7up or Sprite, preferably 7up.
  5. Garnish with a couple strawberries and a slice of orange.
  6. Advise telling the consumer to squeeze the orange slice into the glass to experience a change of flavors
Cheers!

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Interesting thread! I note that there was a general surprise at the remarkable length of Season 4: 41 episodes.
Episode 41 of Season 4 is the last time the theme song's entire vocal version (2 verses) is sung in the opening credits. Season 5 features either just one verse or a short instrumental version.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Just watched a neat documentary on Amazon Prime titled "The Car That Ate My Brain!". Here's the description : The Story of the World's Most Famous Hot Rod chronicles the story of Norm Grabowski's "Kookie" car, the car that famously appeared on TV shows like 77 Sunset Strip and in Life magazine started the Fad-T and T-bucket. We see original home movie footage in its different versions before it shifts to the story of the 1975 Von Franco-built replica of the car in its Lightnin Bug Version.

It runs an hour and contains lots of home movie footage of Norman Grabowski working on and driving the car that eventually became the "Kookie Kar". Film clips are shown from 3 TV shows of the car in pre-77 appearances in episodes of "Ford Television Theatre", "Wire Patrol" and "Peter Gunn" as well as clips from "77 Sunset Strip" as well. The final 15 minutes or so focus more on building the replica version but the first 45 minutes are great. There's even some stills of Dino's before demolition with the car and Big Daddy Roth and a funny story about how they shot the picture. The video quality is not the greatest but it's free for Amazon Prime members. Rental views are $1.99 for SD viewing and $2.99 for HD. I didn't watch it in HD so it might look better but I doubt it. Scenes from the old TV episodes appear to come from VHS tapes. It's still a fun and informative watch.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Episode 41 of Season 4 is the last time the theme song's entire vocal version (2 verses) is sung in the opening credits. Season 5 features either just one verse or a short instrumental version.
I think you mean closing credits?

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin

View attachment 47461

FYI readers: His star is located at 7095 Hollywood Blvd. That's right at La Brea Ave.
Too bad it couldn't have been slightly east at 7077!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks