What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (4 Viewers)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Rustifer, you did write about both the episodes I mentioned and characterized RIchard Rust that way in both, but I have to agree with Gary16, that never crossed my mind, either.

In one post, you kind of brushed off his career as being kind of insignificant, but he worked steadily for twenty years, from age 20-40, with 52 credits. And I just noticed today that if you appeared on a series, whether once or 50 times, they consider that 1 credit, so his full season of 28 episodes of the Sam Benedict series, is listed as 1 credit.

Now I'm interested in that Sam Benedict series. Has it EVER been around anywhere on a retro channel?

It's so crazy that luck is such a part of an actor's career. I remember Adam West always saying people say "persistence" is, but he said luck was far more important. Would we know him if it weren't for Batman? Would we know Carroll O'Connor if not for Archie? O'Connor had nearly 75 credits before he got that role. Mostly, TV, in shows ranging from things like The Untouchables to the Time Tunnel! There were THREE pilots made for what became All in the Family. Luck!

Once in awhile, because we easily can on IMDB, I'll look up an actor on a series episode or film that I see because I wonder something about them. More often than not, they have few credits and have disappeared. Once in awhile it's the complete opposite.

I watched an episode of Green Acres where a runaway boy appears and won't say where he came from. It's a really amusing episode and the boy is very funny. So, I thought I'd look him up. The episode aired in early 1968 and was titled "Home is Where You Run Away From." The actor's name was Gary Dubin. I wondered if he had been in anything else, because he was really good in this episode.

To my surprise, he'd been working ever since, and at around the same time I had looked him up, he'd just appeared in a theatre production in a theatre not too far from me. He has 84 credits listed on IMDB, and did voice work, dozens of TV roles like The F.B.I., Bracken's World, Mod Squad, Land of the Giants, Adam-12, The Facts of Life, Beverly Hills 90210...and some movies, like Diamonds are Forever and Jaws 2.

Unfortunately, looking him up today, I found he succumbed to bone cancer at age 57, in 2016 at a hospital in Burbank, less than two years ago. Bad luck.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Rustifer, you did write about both the episodes I mentioned and characterized RIchard Rust that way in both, but I have to agree with Gary16, that never crossed my mind, either.

In one post, you kind of brushed off his career as being kind of insignificant, but he worked steadily for twenty years, from age 20-40, with 52 credits. And I just noticed today that if you appeared on a series, whether once or 50 times, they consider that 1 credit, so his full season of 28 episodes of the Sam Benedict series, is listed as 1 credit.

Now I'm interested in that Sam Benedict series. Has it EVER been around anywhere on a retro channel?

It's so crazy that luck is such a part of an actor's career. I remember Adam West always saying people say "persistence" is, but he said luck was far more important. Would we know him if it weren't for Batman? Would we know Carroll O'Connor if not for Archie? O'Connor had nearly 75 credits before he got that role. Mostly, TV, in shows ranging from things like The Untouchables to the Time Tunnel! There were THREE pilots made for what became All in the Family. Luck!

Once in awhile, because we easily can on IMDB, I'll look up an actor on a series episode or film that I see because I wonder something about them. More often than not, they have few credits and have disappeared. Once in awhile it's the complete opposite.

I watched an episode of Green Acres where a runaway boy appears and won't say where he came from. It's a really amusing episode and the boy is very funny. So, I thought I'd look him up. The episode aired in early 1968 and was titled "Home is Where You Run Away From." The actor's name was Gary Dubin. I wondered if he had been in anything else, because he was really good in this episode.

To my surprise, he'd been working ever since, and at around the same time I had looked him up, he'd just appeared in a theatre production in a theatre not too far from me. He has 84 credits listed on IMDB, and did voice work, dozens of TV roles like The F.B.I., Bracken's World, Mod Squad, Land of the Giants, Adam-12, The Facts of Life, Beverly Hills 90210...and some movies, like Diamonds are Forever and Jaws 2.

Unfortunately, looking him up today, I found he succumbed to bone cancer at age 57, in 2016 at a hospital in Burbank, less than two years ago. Bad luck.

So, Martin, I don't disagree with your very good analysis of what constitutes a significant vs. insignificant career for actors in TV and films. And If Richard Rust was still alive and had taken umbrage to my characterization of him, I would be the first to apologize.

Please keep in mind that when I write my observations of a 77 SS episode, that's exactly what it is--my observations. Although I write them tongue-in-cheek--more for entertainment value (hopefully)--I do a fair amount of research on the actors (e.g. "TIDBITS). I generally try to use resources beyond Wikipedia and IMDb to find lesser known but interesting facts on the guest stars. I also take copious notes while watching an episode in order to capture anything obscure, unusual, or just darn funny. When I finish a piece, I re-read it at least five times and make edits before posting. I often re-edit even after submitting. I sometimes get a fact or two wrong--which Gary usually points out to me--so I'm not writing this in defense of anything that might be construed as negative--but more as an explanation of how I approach my participation on this thread. If one agrees or disagrees with my observations, even better--as I am entirely in favor of spirited discussions here.
And, as always, I thank you most kindly for pointing me to this Forum. It's given me an excellent opportunity to productively use what my wife describes as way too much free time.
upload_2018-6-19_10-24-40.jpeg

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
"Nine To Five" is an out-of-sorts episode in that it centers its activity more on the guest stars' interactions rather than unfolding a detective story.

Stu Bailey is in New York City on an assignment and scheduled to meet with an old friend Dick Lynwood (Richard Long post-Rex Randolph) and his wife Lu-Ann (Diane McBain) before returning to LA. There are two problems bubbling for the Lynwoods. One, they're separated and Lu-Ann is hustling all the furnishings out of their ritzy Park Avenue apartment. Two, Dick and his business partner are at odds with one another and are endeavoring to buy each other out. I guess you could add a third issue--throughout the episode Diane McBain is wearing as a hat what appears to be a cross between a head trauma bandage and state fair cotton candy. I'm sure in 1962 it was considered haute couture, but I assure you in 2018 it looks pretty damned ridiculous.
Much of the action takes place on the street outside the Lynwood apartment (the WB backlot conveniently doubling not only as downtown Los Angeles but also Manhattan), featuring an exasperated building super (Lenny Weinrib) who is falling into apoplectic fits over the furniture situation and providing most of the comedic relief.

images
images
upload_2018-6-19_10-48-48.jpeg

Diane McBain, Richard Long and the back of Miss McBain's odd hat, Lenny Weinrib

In order to finance the $425,000 for the business buyout (not exactly setting the NYSE on fire), Dick realizes he will need to dip into his famous model wife's capital reserve. Of course this means making up, making out and making good on the loan.
Stu Bailey barely has a role in this drama other than muttering "there, there" to the squabbling Lynwoods. As I mentioned earlier, there's really no mystery or crime in this episode. It is odd to see Richard Long in this role so soon after his stint as Rex in the series--he seems completely out of place. There's an unnecessary side story of Dick's secretary being secretly in love with him--it goes nowhere fast. She comes across as a mouse competing against the lovely Diane McBain for Dick's attention. Maybe a paper mache hat would have helped.
Written by Stanley Niss, who is better known as producing a significant number of the Hawaiian Eye episodes.

Last edited:

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
"Nine To Five" is an out-of-sorts episode in that it centers its activity more on the guest stars' interactions rather than unfolding a detective story.

Stu Bailey is in New York City on an assignment and scheduled to meet with an old friend Dick Lynwood (Richard Long post-Rex Randolph) and his wife Lu-Ann (Diane McBain) before returning to LA. There are two problems bubbling for the Lynwoods. One, they're separated and Lu-Ann is hustling all the furnishings out of their ritzy Park Avenue apartment. Two, Dick and his business partner are at odds with one another and are endeavoring to buy each other out. I guess you could add a third issue--throughout the episode Diane McBain is wearing as a hat what appears to be a cross between a head trauma bandage and state fair cotton candy. I'm sure in 1962 it was considered haute couture, but I assure you in 2018 it looks pretty damned ridiculous.
Much of the action takes place on the street outside the Lynwood apartment (the WB backlot conveniently doubling not only as downtown Los Angeles but also Manhattan), featuring an exasperated building super (Lennie Weinrib) who is falling into apoplectic fits over the furniture situation and providing most of the comedic relief.

images
images
View attachment 47059
Diane McBain, Richard Long and the back of Miss McBain's odd hat, Lennie Weinrib

In order to finance the $425,000 for the business buyout (not exactly setting the NYSE on fire), Dick realizes he will need to dip into his famous model wife's capital reserve. Of course this means making up, making out and making good on the loan.
Stu Bailey barely has a role in this drama other than muttering "there, there" to the squabbling Lynwoods. As I mentioned earlier, there's really no mystery or crime in this episode. It is odd to see Richard Long in this role so soon after his stint as Rex in the series--he seems completely out of place. There's an unnecessary side story of Dick's secretary being secretly in love with him--it goes nowhere fast. She comes across as a mouse competing against the lovely Diane McBain for Dick's attention. Maybe a paper mache hat would have helped.
Written by Stanley Niss, who is better known as producing a significant number of the Hawaiian Eye episodes.
This episode was believed to be a pilot for a proposed series that obviously didn’t sell. Same with the episode titled “Flight 307” coming up. I think Warner took the opportunity as 77 was winding down to try out some new projects within the series.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
This episode was believed to be a pilot for a proposed series that obviously didn’t sell. Same with the episode titled “Flight 307” coming up. I think Warner took the opportunity as 77 was winding down to try out some new projects within the series.
I did not know this. That helps explain its 'one-off' trait. Great intel, Gary.

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
So Martin, I don't disagree with your very good analysis of what constitutes a significant vs. insignificant career for actors in TV and films. And If Richard Rust was still alive and had taken umbrage to my characterization of him, I would be the first to apologize.

Please keep in mind that when I write my observations of a 77 SS episode, that's exactly what it is--my observations. Although I write them tongue-in-cheek--more for entertainment value (hopefully)--I do a fair amount of research on the actors (e.g. "TIDBITS). I generally try to use resources beyond Wikipedia and IMDb to find lesser known but interesting facts on the guest stars. I also take copious notes while watching an episode in order to capture anything obscure, unusual, or just darn funny. When I finish a piece, I re-read it at least five times and make edits before posting. I often re-edit even after posting. I sometimes get a fact or two wrong--which Gary usually points out to me--so I'm not writing this in defense of anything that might be construed as negative--but more as an explanation of how I approach my participation on this thread. If one agrees or disagrees with my observations, even better--as I am entirely in favor of spirited discussions here.
And, as always, I thank you most kindly for pointing me to this Forum. It's given me an excellent opportunity to productively use what my wife describes as way too much free time.
View attachment 47057
Just keep doin' what you're doin'

We gotta have somebody to take shots at:rolling-smiley:
So we can productively use too much free time.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
TIDBIT

Lenny Weinrib

upload_2018-6-19_12-45-26.jpeg
images

Lenny's parents wanted him to be a dentist. But when he was a student at UCLA, his friend at the time Carol Burnett was in a campus show and it changed his life. He became a regular on Spike Jones' TV show and began experimenting with using different voice dialects. By the mid 1960's he was one of the top voice-over talents in commercials. He also directed three entirely forgettable movies: Beach Ball, Wild Wild Winter and Out of Sight.
Then came his work on H.R. Pufnstuf, a highly trippy Saturday morning program aimed at kids and stoned college students. Only 17 episodes were produced, but it has continued to air for time immemorial.
He was also the unseen but highly recognizable voice of the police dispatcher in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World besides appearing in countless TV series as a guest.

"I made a quarter of a million (dollars) every year for years," Weinrib said in a 1995 interview with The LA Times. "Spent it on Rolls-Royces, boats, first editions, guns, knives. Never thought about money. Did about 100 cartoons, Olympia beer, McDonald's commercials. I was Mr. Pringle of Pringle's potato chips."
Lenny retired to--of all places--Santiago, Chile where he continued to do some part time voice overs and passed away almost exactly 12 years ago of a stroke.

Last edited:

mark-edk

Second Unit
I did not know this. That helps explain its 'one-off' trait. Great intel, Gary.

I think I posted on this the last time it aired. It was intended to be an anthology series: each week would be the story of what happened to a different cast of characters over a 9 to 5 work day. It's possible they even intended to use the same office building each week, with maybe the concession stand guy being the one character who would appear every week.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Minor Tidbit

upload_2018-6-19_14-14-42.jpeg

We all pretty much know the history of Richard Long's illustrious career. Did you know he started out as Tom Kettle, Ma and Pa Kettle's oldest son in the film series from a jillion years ago?

A 1971 article in the Schenectady Gazette claims Long was an "easy-going, humorous man who spent much of his time at home sitting at his desk and pondering how to pay the bills".
He was also widely regarded as the top BBQ man in his neighborhood.
"My best dish is leg of lamb basted in creme de menthe. Usually I drink the marinade." He was a lifelong fighter of his weight. "Being Irish, if I gain 6 pounds it immediately shows on my face".
On weekends he would leave his sprawling home in the hills of San Fernando Valley to take his family to Laguna Beach, mainly to "laze around".

He loved working on Nanny & the Professor because of the children on the show. Not necessarily due to love of kids, but because state law limited the number of hours they could work. He was home by 7:00 every night tucking into a martini.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
We all pretty much know the history of Richard Long's illustrious career. Did you know he started out as Tom Kettle, Ma and Pa Kettle's oldest son in the film series from a jillion years ago?

Tom Kettle (in The Egg And I) was nearly his first role, but before that, in 1946, he did three well-pedigreed films. I've only seen the second of these, The Stranger, which stars Orson Welles as a high Nazi official living undercover in New England as a college professor, Loretta Young as his bride, and Edward G. Robinson as a War Crimes Commission member hot on his trail. Richard Long plays Loretta Young's brother.

The_Stranger_film.jpg

I enjoy this film greatly, and it has added interest to fans of 77 Sunset Strip because Byron Keith is also in it as the town veterinarian, his first film role. It's available on the Internet Archive.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Mike, that is a possibility that has certainly occurred to me, but based upon the frequent co-ordination of his narration to the action, it is also possible that the footage was being projected before him as he narrated.

Any deviation from the script as shot would have resulted in the narration being tweaked prior to the recording session (which for a film as long as THT could run two or three days). It would not be feasible to run the film, as voiceover artists normally do multiple takes until the recording director feels it's right, so to keep starting/stopping/rewinding the projector would have been ludicrous--not to mention having to pay a projectionist to run it!

Mike S.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Any deviation from the script as shot would have resulted in the narration being tweaked prior to the recording session (which for a film as long as THT could run two or three days). It would not be feasible to run the film, as voiceover artists normally do multiple takes until the recording director feels it's right, so to keep starting/stopping/rewinding the projector would have been ludicrous--not to mention having to pay a projectionist to run it!

Mike S.
Your version and mine are equally plausible.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
FWIW I have always been a major fan of Richard Rust.
I'm feeling that mayhaps I underestimated Mr. Rust. I was only aware of him from two episodes of 77 SS in which he guested. Personally, I thought he chewed up the scenery a bit much, but that may have been what was expected of the part. I think it was the rolled up sleeves on his t-shirt and the jeans that made me think of Marlon Brando and/or James Dean.

upload_2018-6-21_8-58-14.jpeg
upload_2018-6-21_8-59-1.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-21_8-54-32.jpeg
    upload_2018-6-21_8-54-32.jpeg
    8.6 KB · Views: 31
  • upload_2018-6-21_8-55-58.jpeg
    upload_2018-6-21_8-55-58.jpeg
    10.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Tom Kettle (in The Egg And I) was nearly his first role, but before that, in 1946, he did three well-pedigreed films. I've only seen the second of these, The Stranger, which stars Orson Welles as a high Nazi official living undercover in New England as a college professor, Loretta Young as his bride, and Edward G. Robinson as a War Crimes Commission member hot on his trail. Richard Long plays Loretta Young's brother.

View attachment 47086

I enjoy this film greatly, and it has added interest to fans of 77 Sunset Strip because Byron Keith is also in it as the town veterinarian, his first film role. It's available on the Internet Archive.
Byron Keith was in this flick? I'll have to watch it now.
Byron died in 1996 of pancreatic cancer. Having headed up the Organ Transplant Division of a large insurance company for 20 years, I can report that if you're unfortunate to have this kind of cancer, you're generally a goner in 6 months or less.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks