What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (1 Viewer)

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
TIDBIT

images

In February of 2004, Efrem Zimbalist Jr. gave a speech at a luncheon of the Roundtable West in SoCal, regarding his recently published book "My Dinner of Herbs". His audience was filled with predominantly white-haired ladies who practically swooned over being near him.

"I was kicked out of Yale twice", he confessed to the crowd. He attributed his academic failure to his playboy tendencies at the time. "My mother (opera star Alma Gluck) died shortly afterward. All she knew was her son was a total screw-up. That's the great sadness of my life."

Regarding other WB stars who battled management over long workdays and small paychecks, Zimbalist seemed to have a placid relationship with the studio. "Maybe it's because I played tennis every weekend with Jack Warner at his house", he mused. Warner kept him on the payroll even after leaving 77 Sunset Strip for a divorce in Reno, with which he never carried through. “The guy’s in trouble,” Warner told an underling. “Let’s show him who his friends are.”

At 86 in 2004, Zimbalist cut an impressive figure: suntanned, a full head of white hair, debonair mustache, impeccably attired. He was generally uncomfortable at book signings, feeling like he was some kind of carnival huckster.

Except for book signings, Zimbalist spent most of his time around home. His acting jobs were few. Regarding the film industry, he admitted, “I’m out of it today. I don’t know the people who are running the studios. I don’t even know the people who are making movies today. I stopped going to them over 20 years ago. The movies I used to be fanatic about, they stopped making. They started making another sort of movie, and it’s not my kind of world.”

Last edited:

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
TIDBIT
In February of 2004, Efrem Zimbalist Jr. gave a speech at a luncheon of the Roundtable West in SoCal, regarding his recently published book "My Dinner of Herbs". His audience was filled with predominantly white-haired ladies who practically swooned over being near him.
This is great, Russ? Where did you see this?

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Here's something I don't think we've seen on this site:

WASHINGTON (CNN) June 8, 2009-- Thirty-five years after the man known to a generation of television viewers as Inspector Lewis Erskine ended his run as star of "The FBI," he finally became a special agent and got his badge back.
Efrem Zimbalist Jr., now 90, accepted the honor from FBI director Robert Mueller on Monday at a ceremony in Los Angeles, California.

"We consider the Honorary Special Agent Award the highest honor that we bestow on individuals outside the bureau, and today we are proud to present it to you," Mueller said. "For nine years, Inspector Erskine wore the FBI's badge. Today we would like to present you with the real thing."

A frail but alert Zimbalist was thrilled.

"I feel humbled to receive this fantastic award," Zimbalist said. "I'm hugely honored and grateful for all of it."

efrem.jpg

images

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Russ has been scouting out so much great content for us from the far corners of the Web that I was inspired to follow his excellent example. I came up with a TV interview with Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. while he was promoting his autobiography.

While you will notice that it is a public-access show, don't let that fool you. It is hosted by Connie Martinson, who over a thirty-year period interviewed such authors as Maya Angelou, Gore Vidal, Joyce Carol Oates, Studs Terkel, and Barack Obama. The show was self-financed.

Moreover, she is the widow of Leslie H. Martinson, a name that will likely be familiar to you. He directed nine episodes of 77SS, which earns him a three-way tie for fourth most prolific series director. Most notably for me, he directed one of my very favorite episodes, "Adventure in San Dede," Montgomery Pittman's posthumous valedictory teleplay.

I recommend a perusal of Martinson's curriculum vitae on IMDb. It looks like he had a great deal of fun!

Remarkably, Leslie Martinson lived to be 101; we lost him on September 3, 2016. You will notice that he is the executive producer of his wife's show (which means that he financed it). Connie is still with us.

Connie Martinson's long association with Zimbalist, through Leslie, gives her the insight to ask informed questions that elicit informative responses. And, of course, Zimbalist is exceedingly charming. He gives a master class on aging gracefully, with malice towards none.

Without further ado, here's the link to part one of three, on YouTube:

YouTube will provide the links to the successive parts.

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
This is one of the longest threads but still no word of these shows being released on DVD!
I think this subject has been discussed extensively here. But unless and until some official from WB wants to weigh in and offer up a post on this thread, the question will remain exactly what it is---a question.

images

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Russ has been scouting out so much great content for us from the far corners of the Web that I was inspired to follow his excellent example. I came up with a TV interview with Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. while he was promoting his autobiography.

While you will notice that it is a public-access show, don't let that fool you. It is hosted by Connie Martinson, who over a thirty-year period interviewed such authors as Maya Angelou, Gore Vidal, Joyce Carol Oates, Studs Terkel, and Barack Obama. The show was self-financed.

Moreover, she is the widow of Leslie H. Martinson, a name that will likely be familiar to you. He directed nine episodes of 77SS, which earns him a three-way tie for fourth most prolific series director. Most notably for me, he directed one of my very favorite episodes, "Adventure in San Dede," Montgomery Pittman's posthumous valedictory teleplay.

I recommend a perusal of Martinson's curriculum vitae on IMDb. It looks like he had a great deal of fun!

Remarkably, Leslie Martinson lived to be 101; we lost him on September 3, 2016. You will notice that he is the executive producer of his wife's show (which means that he financed it). Connie is still with us.

Connie Martinson's long association with Zimbalist, through Leslie, gives her the insight to ask informed questions that elicit informative responses. And, of course, Zimbalist is exceedingly charming. He gives a master class on aging gracefully, with malice towards none.

Without further ado, here's the link to part one of three, on YouTube:

YouTube will provide the links to the successive parts.

Fascinating, Rob! Great post! This should solidify for any 77 SS fan that Effrem Zimbalist Jr. would be one of the most interesting people to be able to sit down with and have a discussion. What a gracious and intelligent fellow.
I had forgotten that his mother immigrated from Romania. So also did my own mother when she was 14 years old.
I can honestly say that is the only trait that Mr. Zimbalist and I probably share.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
I can honestly say that is the only trait that Mr. Zimbalist and I probably share.
Well, you also both have lived in a state with a city named Carmel. . .

I'm happy you enjoyed the linked interview. I have come to have a great deal of respect for Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. I can see why my Dad used him as a role model for me.

But my wife and I were wondering what his friends called him. Ef? Not likely. I posited "Zim" while my wife came up with "EZ".

Probably his friends called him "Efrem." And his family probably called him "Junior."

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Enjoying as always the many informative, entertaining and downright funny posts in this thread.

Russ, your analysis and dissection of all things 77 is wry and sly! You really should write a book about the lasting and effortless cool of 77 Sunset Strip, it's lingering sociological influence on America etc., or at least, it's hold upon our ageing "middle aged" imaginations...grease for peace!

Rob, your Father using Efrem Zimbalist jr. as a role model for you is most interesting! My Father likewise had great regard for him, both from 77 Sunset Strip and continuing into his long running service on The FBI. By about season 5 of that show, it was starting quite late on a school evening for this delicate and hormone-ally exhausted teenager, and I sometimes fell asleep during Act IV, much to the chagrin and disappointment of my Father. He considered this to be outrageous if I fell asleep while Inspector Erskine's .38 special was just warming up. I was letting down our hero (and law enforcement) by checking out while Efrem was battling La Cosa Nostra and the Commies! In my defense I had probably been awake for about 15 hours by this point in the evening and was likely dealing with post concussion syndrome from Football, ha, ha...but in my household, Inspector Erskine and Director J. Edgar Hoover were defenders of the faith, ha, ha...

Last edited:

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Russ, your analysis and dissection of all things 77 is wry and sly! You really should write a book about the lasting and effortless cool of 77 Sunset Strip, it's lingering sociological influence on America etc., or at least, it's hold upon our ageing "middle aged" imaginations...grease for peace!

Flashgear, you're so right. In my discovery and exploration of this show, I might have disregarded the "coolness" aspect of the show entirely, were it not for Russ' insights (thanks, Russ!). As good as the show is, it would not have been the hit it was if not for this aspect.

Unfortunately, it seems as if the present custodians of the Warner Brothers back catalogue did entirely disregard 77 Sunset Strip's innate coolness. Otherwise, they would not have missed the golden opportunity to introduce the show to a new generation of viewers that beckoned when Mad Men was so wildly popular, and Millenials were so fascinated with the mores and attitudes of our parents' generation, back when they were in the driver's seat. 77 Sunset Strip reflects the way things were more than perhaps any other show of the period, especially during the first three seasons. I think this was because it did not seek to instruct, but simply to entertain--which is one of the reasons I love the show so very much.

Rob, your Father using Efrem Zimbalist jr. as a role model for you is most interesting! My Father likewise had great regard for him, both from 77 Sunset Strip and continuing into his long running service on The FBI.

Very interesting! We definitely have that in common. My Dad also loved The F.B.I. (In Color!). To be completely honest, Dad never explicitly told me that he did this, nor would he ever have done that. But as I watched each successive episode for the first time, in Stu's every action I saw one of my Dad's instructions. In any event, I have now adopted Stu directly as my role model. I tried John Wayne, but I'm not tall enough.

Of course, the fact that our family name is Spencer may have been an added inducement to like 77SS, but as I said my Dad was a big fan of EZ Jr. He never missed The F.B.I. Sadly, I hated that show back in the day, because it was so darned stolid to my boyish sensibilities. On Sunday nights, after Disney was over I was done with TV for the night. I would rather go to my room and listen to the public service shows on the radio, as boring as they were. I was so happy when Dr. Demento came along!

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
This past week's episodes are all pretty good examples of the show, which is remarkable for a show on its last legs. Three more episodes and then we are into the sixth season, which I think is better than advertised. Five weeks from now, we'll be back to the first season!

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Well, you also both have lived in a state with a city named Carmel. . .

I'm happy you enjoyed the linked interview. I have come to have a great deal of respect for Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. I can see why my Dad used him as a role model for me.

But my wife and I were wondering what his friends called him. Ef? Not likely. I posited "Zim" while my wife came up with "EZ".

Probably his friends called him "Efrem." And his family probably called him "Junior."
Somewhere in the dim recesses of my memory bank I seem to recall that Efrem's friends and colleagues actually did address him as 'Eff.' I think I remember seeing an interview with his FBI co-star William Reynolds where he referred to him as such.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks