What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (1 Viewer)

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Yes that’s the same Gale Garnett who had the hit record “We’ll Sing in the Sunshine”. I haven’t nitpicked in awhile but the title of the episode you’re watching later is just “Attic” with no “The”.
Thank God, Gary. I was afraid your nitpicking days were over...

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Great timing, Randall! I'm about to watch that very episode this afternoon, followed by "The Attic".
And a martini or two...
Excellent coincidence Russ! You can pretend you're enjoying the Thanksgiving weekend of 1960, at least that's what I do...our escape via our classic TV time machine! Have a great weekend!
Yes that’s the same Gale Garnett who had the hit record “We’ll Sing in the Sunshine”. I haven’t nitpicked in awhile but the title of the episode you’re watching later is just “Attic” with no “The”.
Gary, she was only 18 at the time they filmed this episode! She won a Grammy for that monster hit in 1964.

1606584712100.png

Efrem with the Dolores Donlon in a publicity photo for season three's Double Trouble (Nov. 4, 1960)...
1606585300627.png

1606585349425.png

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Randall, I know that Roger Smith was diagnosed with myasthenia gravis much later (in 1965). Does anyone know if his disease was a result of the botched surgery?
Tom, I looked up Myasthenia Gravis on Wiki, and it's described as a Neuro degenerative disease. I didn't see any reference to blood clots on the brain being a known initiator or aggravating factor in causing or worsening the neurological impact of Myasthenia Gravis. In Roger Smith's bio on IMDB, they claim he had surgery to remove blood clots on his brain in 1965, no reference to whether he suffered a mild stroke at that time or if the 1965 surgery was in some way related to his earlier botched surgery in 1960. I'm sure that article in Look Magazine would fill in some blanks. Certainly a lot of rotten luck for a guy who appeared to be handsome, youthful and healthy as a 27 to 32 year old man. The surgery in 1965 also would have coincided with his filming as the lead character in Warner's TV series version of Mister Roberts...at least Roger's luck would take a turn for the better in 1967 when he married Anne-Margret...
1606587881076.png
1606587930967.png

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Anyone remember the 1965-66 series HONEY WEST, with Anne Francis, John Ericson, Irene Hervey and a real ocelot named Bruce? It was a half-hour series, somewhat of a set-in-Los Angeles version of The Avengers. I watched a strange episode last night that guest starred Edd Byrnes. It was titled Little Green Robin Hood. Edd had the episode title role:

MV5BMmFjZGJjMzYtNTIxNy00YzgxLTljNTEtN2QxNDQ1ZDZmOTVmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM4NDgyNTc@._V1_.jpg

He got to kiss Anne Francis...

MV5BZDE4MmNjNDQtYzZjNy00ZDI4LWFhNTctNTYxZTA1ODFjOTdkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM4NDgyNTc@._V1_.jpg

This is the lagoon set from Gilligan's Island, which was still in production at that time. (I recently saw a Get Smart episode from the 1969-70 season that was filmed at the lagoon.)

Even after seeing this episode I don't really know what it was about. ?

t23gis5ox87qig5t.jpg

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Just by coincidence (!) this evening I watched an episode of Burke's Law that also guest starred Edd Byrnes. It was amusingly titled "Who Killed Mr. Colby in Ladies Lingerie?" He played a tour guide bus operator showing people around Beverly Hills. He did an impression of James Cagney when going by his house and then Kirk Douglas. A woman on the bus says to him, "I took this tour last week and that is not Kirk Douglas's house. It's Edd Byrnes'!" He replies, "Yeah, but I don't know him." Also coincidentally, one scene near the end with Paul Lynde was also shot at the Gilligan's Island lagoon set. Crazy man, it was the ginchiest!

Tom.W

Second Unit
Tom, I looked up Myasthenia Gravis on Wiki, and it's described as a Neuro degenerative disease. I didn't see any reference to blood clots on the brain being a known initiator or aggravating factor in causing or worsening the neurological impact of Myasthenia Gravis. In Roger Smith's bio on IMDB, they claim he had surgery to remove blood clots on his brain in 1965, no reference to whether he suffered a mild stroke at that time or if the 1965 surgery was in some way related to his earlier botched surgery in 1960. I'm sure that article in Look Magazine would fill in some blanks. Certainly a lot of rotten luck for a guy who appeared to be handsome, youthful and healthy as a 27 to 32 year old man. The surgery in 1965 also would have coincided with his filming as the lead character in Warner's TV series version of Mister Roberts...at least Roger's luck would take a turn for the better in 1967 when he married Anne-Margret...

Thanks, Randall, for doing the research on this. Since myasthenia gravis is a nervous disorder, I thought there might be some connection to the brain surgery. Maybe we should ask Ann-Margret! At any rate, Smith did well in 77SS for the remainder of the series despite his physical misfortune. His life after acting certainly was productive managing his wife's career.

Has anyone watched The Checkmate Caper (5th season) recently? Apologies Russ, If I forgot or overlooked your review. I watched it last night. It's a farcical dark comedy featuring a hilarious, over-the-top, take no prisoners, Ma Barker type performance by Kathryn Givney. The first scene is especially funny. William Windom is uncharacteristically obsequious, especially in light of his assertive role as Congressman Morley a few months later in Farmer's Daughter. There are several in-jokes, including the episode title. Not a particularly strong episode. I don't think comedy works well as the main theme in 77SS. But the performances are memorable, especially Givney's. Being that this was the second to last episode with the full cast, maybe the writers were experimenting with their roles (no spoilers).

Screenshot_2020-11-29 Kathryn Givney.png

Kathryn Givney in My Friend Irma

P.S. After a little checking, I did see your review, Russ, and comments by others here. Of course, yours is the definitive review!

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Hawaiian Eye S4E4, The Broken Thread (Oct.23, 1962) D: Charles R. Rondeau, W: Laszlo Gorog.
Guest starring Andrew Duggan. With Charlene Holt, George Gaynes, Pat Woodell, Phillip Ahn.

Guest star Andrew Duggan turns in a powerhouse performance as Ralph Mason, an emotionally wounded but enraged man deranged by grief into an obsessive search for his deceased wife's presumed lover...and kill him...

The episode opens with a dynamic teaser...Mason surprising Greg Mackenzie (Grant Williams) in the Hawaiian Eye offices and holding him at gunpoint...my screen caps from homemade DVD derived from 16 mm film chain...

Mason: "Put down the phone, Mackenzie!"
Hawaiian Eye 129.JPG

Mackenzie: (looking directly at Mason's gun) "That won't accomplish anything."
Hawaiian Eye 127.JPG

Mason: "Guns always accomplish something."
Hawaiian Eye 128.JPG

Hawaiian Eye 130.JPG

Hawaiian Eye 250.JPG

Hawaiian Eye 251.JPG

The episode opens with Evelyn Mason (Charlene Holt), alone in the bedroom and preparing to go out, receiving an impassioned phone call and telling the unknown party: "Roger, this can't go on!"...
Hawaiian Eye 253.JPG

Hawaiian Eye 252.JPG

Just then, her husband, big time real estate developer Ralph Mason (Duggan), enters...Evelyn abruptly ends the phone call...
Hawaiian Eye 254.JPG

Ralph Mason clearly is deeply in love with his disaffected wife, hurt and confused by her cold manner and hesitation in returning his affection...and he is also deeply suspicious that his wife has taken a lover...she denies it angrily, with Ralph declaring that if she did, "I would kill him!"...
Hawaiian Eye 256.JPG

Hawaiian Eye 261.JPG

As Evelyn leaves for her hairdresser appointment, Ralph remarks on the obvious "run" in her right stocking...this simple observation is soon proved to be of import...but Evelyn is in a rush and has no time to change...
Hawaiian Eye 262.JPG

By chance, leaving the hairdresser, Evelyn dies in a crash as a passenger in Kim's Kab...Kimbo himself, not at fault, is hospitalized...a devastated Ralph is called to the morgue to identify his wife's body, and notices that the run in Evelyn's stocking is now on her left...the unstated inference is obvious to an enraged Ralph...Evelyn, having lied about going to the hairdresser, had instead met her lover for a tryst...
Hawaiian Eye 263.JPG

Greg, having just arrived back from a trip to the mainland, rushes to the hospital with Tom Lopaka (Robert Conrad of course) and Cricket (Connie Stevens) to Kim's hospital bedside...Greg, shocked by Kim's near deadly injuries, is keeping another shock secret...Evelyn Mason was Greg's fiance and lost love many years before!
Hawaiian Eye 265.JPG

Hawaiian Eye 264.JPG

Ralph Mason soon shows up to enlist Hawaiian Eye in tracking down Evelyn's secret lover, who is one of five possible 'Roger'(s) in the Honolulu phonebook...Tom, seeing Mason's obvious anger, informs Mason that they don't facilitate revenge...Greg shocks Tom by accepting the case, much to Tom's displeasure...but Greg knows something else about Mason: he won't just rough up the unknown Roger, he'll likely kill him!
Hawaiian Eye 266.JPG

After Mason leaves, Greg tells Tom of his long-ago relationship with Evelyn, and of Mason's dangerous reputation...while warning the unknown Roger of the danger he is in and saving his life, Greg is also desperate to keep his own secret from Mason lest he become a victim himself...though Mason is definitely not a one dimensionally evil character. As depicted by Andrew Duggan in a memorably strong performance, Ralph Mason is also seen to be sobbing alone in terrible grief for his deceased wife...

Continued next post...

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Hawaiian Eye The Broken Thread cont'd...

Greg Mackenzie, keeping his own past relationship with Evelyn secret, tries to convince Ralph Mason to just let go of any notion of revenge against his deceased wife's perceived lover...especially if Ralph has murder in mind...
Hawaiian Eye 270.JPG

To remind us that Troy Donahue, having departed the since cancelled Surfside 6, remains in the WB Detective show universe and has joined the cast of Hawaiian Eye as a wholly inadequate replacement for the wonderful Anthony Eisely...Troy drops in to the Shell Bar to ogle Cricket lustfully...just as in their many pairings as co-stars in Warner's big screen feature film melodramas of the early sixties...
Hawaiian Eye 275.JPG

Connie sings a Latin flavored tune, South America, Take it Away!, written by Harold Rome and introduced in the 1946 Broadway revue Call Me Mister (info thanks to HTF member Cadavra)...as usual, Connie is adorable and delightful in these musical interludes, despite the damnable impact they have had on securing music clearances for a Warner DVD release...
Hawaiian Eye 273.JPG

Soon after, a deranged Ralph Mason, having discovered Greg's long past relationship with the deceased Evelyn and feeling a fool for having trusted him, threatens Greg at gunpoint in the scene from which the teaser was sampled..."guns always accomplish something!"...
Hawaiian Eye 276.JPG

Mackenzie pleads for his life, his only hope in proving to Mason that his past relationship ended many years ago and that he hadn't even seen Evelyn for many years, not even knowing that she had since moved to the islands...Mason, in a sweaty rage, leaves to continue his own hunt for the elusive "Roger"...
Hawaiian Eye 277.JPG

Greg also continues to search for the unknown Roger in a bid to head off a murder...a critical clue in finding the right man from a possible five guys is provided by a florist, played by familiar face Phillip Ahn...I know I've seen the pretty actress many times before, but she is uncredited on IMDB...perhaps our acknowledged authority Gary can identify her? Gary, you have amazed me with your deep knowledge of obscure actresses in the recent past!
Hawaiian Eye 280.JPG

Greg is just one step behind Mason, who finds celebrated concert pianist Roger Koirvin (George Gaynes) to be the man in question...Mason attacks him in a rage, determined to break the hands of the talented pianist in this shockingly violent scene filled with blood curdling screams...
Hawaiian Eye 281.JPG

Hawaiian Eye 282.JPG

Greg bursts in and prevents Mason from killing Koirvin...good thing too, as once they get back to the H.E. offices, it is revealed that Koirvin's romantic overtures were rebuffed by Evelyn all along...she was still faithful to Ralph in their troubled marriage at the time of her death...and the reason that Evelyn's stocking with the run was switched on her body in the morgue? She had a pedicure at the hairdresser, setting off Mason's insane rage for revenge fueled by his dark imagination!...as Mason turns to leave, he issues a tortured and deranged laugh to himself, saying: "You can't say that life doesn't have a sense of humor!"...chilling...
Hawaiian Eye 285.JPG

Tom and Greg just shake their head in disbelief...
Hawaiian Eye 286.JPG

Hawaiian Eye 291.JPG

Hawaiian Eye 288.JPG

Hawaiian Eye 292.JPG

IMHO, The Broken Thread is the strongest of the full-on drama episodes of Hawaiian Eye, of which this episode was one among a run of strong episodes in October-November 1962...Lament For a Saturday Warrior and The After Hours Heart which followed are also superb dramas...I really like most of the more comedic and lighter fare that this and the other WB Detective series had throughout their runs...so such a grimly ironic episode like The Broken Thread really stands out...by the way, when The Broken Thread first aired on October 23 1962, it was the day after President Kennedy's live TV address to the nation, disclosing that the USSR had secretly installed nuclear armed missiles in Cuba, and informing the world that the United States was imposing an armed naval blockade of Cuba...maybe an episode like The Broken Thread was perfect viewing for people expecting the world to end...during that fall season of 1962, the lead-in for Hawaiian Eye on ABC's Tuesday nights was the new and exceptionally good war drama Combat!, with the fourth and last season of The Untouchables following at 9:30...

Thank you Gary for the pictures of the 1962 TV GUIDE article on recording Connie Stevens songs in the studio, very interesting seeing Arthur Lyman, authentically Hawaiian, was supervising the recordings at that time...of course, he and the Arthur Lyman Group appeared in 11 episodes and performed entire songs in 6 episodes, among them the instrumentals Bwana A, Jade Song and Indian Summer...his biggest claim to fame being the top five instrumental hit Yellow Bird in 1961...during Connie's songs, I'm always delighted to see the joyful Andre Phillipe (Mr. Novak) conducting the orchestra and playing the vibes or percussion...that guy was a wonderful singer, as evidenced for anyone who has seen Mr. Novak in the Warner DVD season one set...

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Anyone remember the 1965-66 series HONEY WEST, with Anne Francis, John Ericson, Irene Hervey and a real ocelot named Bruce? It was a half-hour series, somewhat of a set-in-Los Angeles version of The Avengers. I watched a strange episode last night that guest starred Edd Byrnes. It was titled Little Green Robin Hood. Edd had the episode title role:
Martin, I love Honey West, even with a few duds among the 30 episodes in it's single season run...I need to revisit that Edd Byrnes episode... I'm so glad VCI brought us this Fox series in a nice DVD set that I treasure...In the episode The Fun-Fun Killer, Honey is on the couch with her pet Ocelot Bruce when Daktari comes on the TV, and Honey says: "Oh Bruce, why do we always have to watch your shows?" Ha, ha...you can watch Honey West on Uncle Earl's Classic TV Channel...https://solie.org/alibrary/HoneyWest_LittleGreenRobinHood.html
Just by coincidence (!) this evening I watched an episode of Burke's Law that also guest starred Edd Byrnes. It was amusingly titled "Who Killed Mr. Colby in Ladies Lingerie?" He played a tour guide bus operator showing people around Beverly Hills. He did an impression of James Cagney when going by his house and then Kirk Douglas. A woman on the bus says to him, "I took this tour last week and that is not Kirk Douglas's house. It's Edd Byrnes'!" He replies, "Yeah, but I don't know him." Also coincidentally, one scene near the end with Paul Lynde was also shot at the Gilligan's Island lagoon set. Crazy man, it was the ginchiest!
Love Burke's Law too! I have the season one DVD volumes and was greatly disappointed that VCI couldn't release season two and Amos Burke Secret Agent...even though I have recordings of the rest of the series, unfortunately for others, Who Killed Mr. Colby in Ladies' Lingerie is in the unreleased season two...but you can watch it in decent quality on Uncle Earl's Classic TV Channel, 77 Sunset Strip is there too...https://solie.org/alibrary/BurkesLaw.html https://solie.org/alibrary/BurkesLaw_224MrColby.html
Has anyone watched The Checkmate Caper (5th season) recently? Apologies Russ, If I forgot or overlooked your review. I watched it last night. It's a farcical dark comedy featuring a hilarious, over-the-top, take no prisoners, Ma Barker type performance by Kathryn Givney. The first scene is especially funny. William Windom is uncharacteristically obsequious, especially in light of his assertive role as Congressman Morley a few months later in Farmer's Daughter. There are several in-jokes, including the episode title. Not a particularly strong episode. I don't think comedy works well as the main theme in 77SS. But the performances are memorable, especially Givney's. Being that this was the second to last episode with the full cast, maybe the writers were experimenting with their roles (no spoilers).
Tom, I need to revisit The Checkmate Caper too, thanks for the reminder! I'm a big fan of William Windom like yourself, and wish that The Farmer's Daughter, with the radiant Inger Stevens, was available in a good quality DVD set. Another Fox series casualty, so many consigned to their vaults unseen...

Tom and Martin, if you have the time, we're always glad to hear your reviews, observations and recommendations of episodes and stars, please do so more often if you can! Russ has been holding up the roof here with his great and funny reviews for some time now!

Last edited:

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Thanks, Randall, for doing the research on this. Since myasthenia gravis is a nervous disorder, I thought there might be some connection to the brain surgery. Maybe we should ask Ann-Margret! At any rate, Smith did well in 77SS for the remainder of the series despite his physical misfortune. His life after acting certainly was productive managing his wife's career.

View attachment 82558
Kathryn Givney in My Friend Irma

P.S. After a little checking, I did see your review, Russ, and comments by others here. Of course, yours is the definitive review!
“The Checkmate Caper” is a personal favorite of mine. This was the final episode to feature the full regular cast (Stu, Jeff, Kookie, Roscoe, Suzanne, J.R., and even Lt. Gilmore), as well as the last one directed by george waGGner (as he preferred to bill himself). The last episode to air in season five only featured Stu and Kookie and was the first under the supervision of Jack Webb and William Conrad.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Thanks, Tom. It's been a while since I wrote that commentary, so I thought I'd repost it here--one of the great 77 SS episodes:

Episode Revisit*
77 Sunset Strip

"The Checkmate Caper"
is one of those delightful tongue-in-cheek 77 SS episodes churned out by the series too infrequently. This one truly sparkles.

We begin at Grandma Carmichael's house for Sunday dinner. This turns out to be far from a heart-warming experience for her two grandsons Marvin (Robert Cornthwaite) and Cuthbert (William Windom) that would have Grandma lovingly passing around the mashed potatoes and roast beef. Nope. Instead, Grandma (Kathryn Givney) is holding one of her stern weekly syllabuses about the family tree, which includes an astounding array of crooks, swindlers and con men. It's a history in which Grandma revels, and she expects her grandsons to keep up the family tradition.

upload_2018-7-20_10-7-20.jpeg
upload_2018-7-20_10-7-59.jpeg
images
upload_2018-7-20_10-13-23.jpeg

The Carmichael gang--Kathryn Givney, Robert Conthwaite, William Windom, Nancy Kulp

Since Cuthbert was named after the black sheep of the family (Old Great Uncle Cuthbert stole a .25 cent pen and committed the unthinkable sin of getting caught), Grandma demands that he immediately redeem the family name and commit a successful crime of some repute. Meek Cuthbert does not find this assignment appealing. As a result, he hires Stu Bailey to help him rob a jewelry store--in appearances only, mind you--to appease Grandma. His true desire is to become a CPA, not a notorious scoundrel. When Bailey displays serious doubt in the plot, Cuthbert presses that he saw a similar plot on Checkmate ( another CBS series but non-WB property) "Don't you watch TV, Mr. Bailey?" "Only on Friday nights", snaps Stu.

Nevertheless, Stu takes the job and visits Grandma's house posing as bogus gangster "Bucky" Bailey, much to Grandma's delight. She immediately subjects him to home movies of the family's history (old WB gagster film clips). She points out that to honor her family's criminal heritage, she sends fruitcakes to all the major prisons each year. Heart of gold, that woman.

The Cuthbert maid Eloise is played to hilarious sarcastic heights by the wonderful Nancy Kulp. Every scene with her is an absolute gem, especially when she and Roscoe get sloppy drunk discussing the merits of every horse and race in the past 20 years.

Stu enlists his incredulous colleagues in the plot by trying to justify its craziness. "In a nutshell..." he begins to conclude... "That's where it belongs!" interrupts Roscoe. The team is convinced to pose as clerks in the targeted jewelry store to assist in pulling off the illusion of a robbery. What could possibly go wrong?

Jealous Marvin discovers Cuthbert's scheme and reveals it to Grandma, who turns the tables on the imposters and actually robs the store.
The clan plans to take it on the lam and run off to Mexico with the loot, only to get foiled by the conscientious Cuthbert.
Directed by George waGGner, with a crackling smart script by Robert J. Shaw, this one's a keeper.

NOTE: Towards the end of the story, the Carmichaels get cornered in the airport motel by the police. Grandma immediately whips out her pistol and shouts "It's a shootout boys...man the iron!" I laughed so hard as to trigger hiccups.

*First posted July 20, 2018

Tom.W

Second Unit
"The Checkmate Caper" is one of those delightful tongue-in-cheek 77 SS episodes churned out by the series too infrequently. This one truly sparkles.

I should probably amend my rating from 3 to 3.5 stars (out of four) on this one. It truly is entertaining from start to finish. Perhaps I was skeptical seeing Kookie, et al. lying down, muzzled, and tied up in the jewelry store apparently being ambushed and overcome by Marvin, Cuthbert, and Grandma. Really? After all though, it is a comedy. Grandma's change of heart at the end seemed a little out of character.

“The Checkmate Caper” is a personal favorite of mine. This was the final episode to feature the full regular cast (Stu, Jeff, Kookie, Roscoe, Suzanne, J.R., and even Lt. Gilmore), as well as the last one directed by george waGGner (as he preferred to bill himself). The last episode to air in season five only featured Stu and Kookie and was the first under the supervision of Jack Webb and William Conrad.

Good point, Gary. I was going by my source which listed "Never to Have Loved" as the final episode of the fifth season. But as you suggested, that one featured just Stu and Kookie.

Tom, I need to revisit The Checkmate Caper too, thanks for the reminder! I'm a big fan of William Windom like yourself, and wish that The Farmer's Daughter, with the radiant Inger Stevens, was available in a good quality DVD set. Another Fox series casualty, so many consigned to their vaults unseen...

I agree about Farmer's Daughter, Randall. Thankfully, CBN blurry based tapes circulated in the 80's and 90's. Better than nothing for a well done series which reflected the Kennedy era in many ways. Windom certainly had memorable guest starring roles, e.g., Twilight Zone: Five Characters in Search of an Exit, The Virginian, Gunsmoke, etc. He starred I'm sure you know, in My World and Welcome to It, another one that would be a welcome dvd release.

By coincidence, I just saw an episode of Maverick--"Stage West"--where a mustached Edd Byrnes plays a bad dude who gets plugged by Peter Brown:

pisode opens with Evelyn Mason (Charlene Holt), alone in the bedroom and preparing to go out, receiving an impassioned phone call and telling the unknown party: "Roger, this can't go on!"...

On the subject of coincidences, I watched the Perry Mason episode "The Grinning Gorilla" last night. Charlene Holt, from "Broken Thread" was in the PM episode. I didn't make the connection to Hawaiian Eye, but I definitely noticed her in Perry Mason! She's the one in middle.

Screenshot_2020-12-01 Charlene Holt.png

Tom.W

Second Unit
reg also continues to search for the unknown Roger in a bid to head off a murder...a critical clue in finding the right man from a possible five guys is provided by a florist, played by familiar face Phillip Ahn...I know I've seen the pretty actress many times before, but she is uncredited on IMDB...perhaps our acknowledged authority Gary can identify her? Gary, you have amazed me with your deep knowledge of obscure actresses in the recent past!

Randall, I believe the actress is Beulah Quo. She was also in HE episode "The Manchu Formula" and many other 60's shows, e.g., Hong Kong, I Spy, Have Gun Will Travel.

I was surprised not to see her listed in the credits of Broken Thread. She seemed to have steady work in supporting roles. I always liked her. She seemed mysterious.

Thanks for the review of Broken Thread. Nice summary!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Thanks for the review of Broken Thread. Nice summary!
Thank you Tom! Very much appreciated.
Randall, I believe the actress is Beulah Quo. She was also in HE episode "The Manchu Formula" and many other 60's shows, e.g., Hong Kong, I Spy, Have Gun Will Travel.

I was surprised not to see her listed in the credits of Broken Thread. She seemed to have steady work in supporting roles. I always liked her. She seemed mysterious.
Well, my gosh, you're right Tom! Well done! Like yourself, it bothers me when an actress/actor doesn't get credit. You're obviously another ace (like Gary) at identifying less famous supporting players.

Although she doesn't have much to do in Hawaiian Eye's Broken Thread, she turned in many other effective and emotionally compelling performances (as you referenced) in the economy of time she was allotted in any one production. In an era with limited onscreen opportunities for Asian actors, she was more than just noticeable. She was in some big theatrical films like The Sand Pebbles (.'Mama Chunk') and Chinatown, a recurring role over 5 years as 'Alice Wong' (1963-68) on My Three Sons, several other memorable appearances in Sam Benedict (Tears for a Nobody Doll) and Dr. Kildare's great season three episode One Clear, Bright Thursday Morning ...

To check on your I.D. of her, I pulled out that episode of Dr. Kildare (which gave the great James Shigeta a career showcase role) and her season five appearance in 77 Sunset Strip, Stranger from the Sea (Mar. 15, 1963), a late period Kookie episode that's just O.K., nothing special, although it features another cast member from The Sand Pebbles, Mako...my screen caps from homemade DVD...
77 SS 51.JPG

Mako plays a naval cadet on a tall ship visit to see Kookie, whom he once hosted in Japan...Mako finds his uncle to be missing, along with $50K in proceeds from his grocery wholesale business...Kookie (and Jeff) are here to help!
77 SS 53.JPG

Hey look! Somebody's set up a wholesale grocery market in the laneway between the Warner soundstages!...you'd think studio security would have done something about it by now, ha, ha...
77 SS 72.JPG

These two thug brothers (Steve Brodie and the scary Robert J. Wilke) lord over the market and are in charge of corruption, theft and probably murder, as in the case of the missing uncle...when Mako and Kookie start asking questions, they set their minions to attack them in a brawl...tossed salad everywhere, ha, ha...
77 SS 55.JPG

77 SS 58.JPG

Cute Caroline Kido as Mako's love interest...
77 SS 56.JPG

Lt. Gilmore seems strangely ineffectual in this episode, merely reminding the boys of the danger they're in...seems like he has a long weekend of fishin' in mind...
77 SS 59.JPG

Beulah Quo, just as she did in The Broken Thread, plays yet another florist...and Aunt to Mako and sister to the missing man...
77 SS 62.JPG

Kookie takes some lumps in this one...Victor French turns up as a policeman...
77 SS 64.JPG

Jeff makes a perfunctory appearance for the most part...he looks bored, maybe contemplating next week's much better Jeff Spencer episode The Man Who Wasn't There...
77 SS 65.JPG

The showdown...Kookie and Mako and a whole lot of Karate choppin' ensue in squaring away these two crumb-bums...
77 SS 70.JPG

77 SS 71.JPG

The expected happy ending...
77 SS 67.JPG

77 SS 66.JPG

77 SS 68.JPG

77 SS 69.JPG

As I said, not bad but certainly not top drawer 77...good enough entertainment for an hour in the late winter of 1963, but not likely to help the show retain it's core cast, instead of going into the drastic Jack Webb/William Conrad retooling for season six...

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Has anyone seen the HAWAIIAN EYE Season 3 episode 29, "Nightmare in Paradise" with Abby Dalton?
Abby recently passed away at the age of 88. :( Rest In Peace!
I search for a photo from that episode but had no luck.
I did find a photo from her appearance on MAVERICK, "Duel at Sundown".

AbbyMaverick.jpg

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Has anyone seen the HAWAIIAN EYE Season 3 episode 29, "Nightmare in Paradise" with Abby Dalton?
Abby recently passed away at the age of 88. :( Rest In Peace!
Scott, because of your post, I revisited Nightmare in Paradise this morning. It indeed features quite a powerful and authentic performance by Abby Dalton as the fearful and conflicted recent widow (or is she?) of a big time businessman who is revealed post-mortem as a notorious drug kingpin. This is a Greg Mackenzie episode featuring a very good performance from Grant Williams too. Jock Gaynor plays a very ruthless and threatening heavy. Both Tom Lopaka (Robert Conrad of course) and Tracy Steele (Anthony Eisely now dropped from the opening credits and recently departed from the show, regrettably) are "out of town". This might have been the last mention of Tracy Steele, who in the finest traditions of old television, simply disappears.

Overall, a pretty good episode truly elevated by Abby Dalton. She must have filmed this just before she started work on season two of The Joey Bishop Show, where she made her debut as his onscreen newlywed. If I can find the time, I'll post a few screen caps from my 16mm derived copy.

Sorry to hear about Abby Dalton's passing. She was beautiful and a talented actress, both in dramatic and comedic roles.
1607186798993.png

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Remember this Christmas Album we talked about a few years ago?
WE WISH YOU A MERRY CHRISTMAS
15 Great Christmas Favorites sung by Warner Bros. Stars

Last year, Stage Door Records, located in London, released a 2-CD set called A Vintage Broadway Christmas. (Available in the U.S.) I collect Christmas/Holiday music and I got this set and it was wonderful. Many of the songs (over 50 of them) I'd never heard before. (Did you know Eartha Kitt sang a sequel to Santa Baby? It was titled This Year's Santa Baby.)

I found out today that this year they're releasing another 2-CD set (57 songs!) called CHRISTMAS IN HOLLYWOOD. Release date 11/13. From the description: [The collection concludes with the complete 1959 stereo album 'We Wish You a Merry Christmas - 15 Great Christmas Favorites sung by Warner Bros. Stars'. This specially recorded album includes songs by stars of the popular television shows '77 Sunset Strip', 'Hawaiian Eye', 'The Alaskans', 'Cheyenne' and 'Bronco' as sung by Roger Moore, Edd Byrnes, Connie Stevens, Dorothy Provine, Eddie Cole and others.]

It's up for pre-order on Deep Discount right now for $14.19! Less than $1 per song on that Warners album alone, and there are 42 more songs! (25¢ a song!) Amazon's pre-order price is $19.99. (35¢ a song.) The Broadway set last year also had a nice booklet included with photos.

A nice Yulesville treat for those inclined!

Did anyone else get this new Stage Door Records release: Christmas in Hollywood? I did, but I haven't listened to it yet. I have read the enclosed booklet. The back cover of the booklet has this original album cover of the Warner Bros. album:

warner+bros.+stars+-+A.jpg

So, if one is so inclined, you can put the booklet in the CD case in reverse and use that as the display cover!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks