What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (10 Viewers)

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
Bourbon Street Beat
"Swamp Fire" (S1E27)

Some strange juju going on in the bayou. The Cajun oil drillers are leaving the area in droves over fear of the "old woman of the swamp"--a phosphorous spectre that appears periodically among the swamp weeds. The Cajuns get bug-eyed and fairly load their pants when they see it. Vamoose time for them.

The Batou Oil Company hires Rex to look into this phenomenon that's disrupting their operation. He checks into the Versailles Inn located in the heart of the bayou--a quaint ramshackle structure that features in the lounge an accordion-playing female, Marie Boudreaux (Jacqueline Ravell). To blend in the the locals, Rex channels Steve McQueen--wearing a stressed leather jacket and dungarees. His initial thought is that a rival oil company is trying to scare Batou's workers off the premises so as to assume control.

Odious tobacco-chewing Joe Stagner (Don Barry), the camp's swamp buggy driver, lusts after Marie--practically raping the poor girl save for her accordion getting in the way of his...uh...advances. Rex beats the snot out of the guy thus making him an enemy and earning the devotion of the lovely Marie. After administering a good beating, Rex takes a nice relaxing stroll through the foggy swamp at night and runs into "conjure" lady, Mama Jadot. He comes up with a brain fart to use Mama to do her mumbo jumbo voodoo for the Cajuns in order to scare away the ghost. She provides each worker with a pouch that is filled with such aromatics as bat poop, spider eggs and day old gumbo. This not only wards off evil spirits, but also just about anything within 50 yards of the bearer. The oil company's head engineer McKee (Rex Reason) congratulates Rex for this bit of ingenuity. But of course, it ain't over 'til it's over.

upload_2019-12-19_11-11-29.jpeg
images
images
images

Jaqueline Revell; Cal practices the Gettysburg Address; Rex deals with swamp rash, then orders pizza to be delivered

The bayou workers are in fine spirits now, singing Alouette and sucking down swamp sauce. The ghost reappears but the workers are too drunk to give a crap, and one of them is brave enough to wander out to try and capture it. He ends up dead as a boiled andouille sausage. Rec visits the morgue to check out the dead body and discovers death by ice pick to the brain. This generates concerns from Marie, odious Joe and a few other suspicious types. For his troubles, Rex gets knocked out and left in the bayou as an alligator hors d'ouevres (cue some travelogue alligator footage and jungle noises). He comes to in time to avoid becoming lunch and also catches a glimpse of the ghost.

The upshot--the chief engineer is not as innocent as he seems and Marie has an exiled hubby who turns up in time to perform some heroic action. Even Ken Madison (Van Williams) shows up in his high school letter jacket to help out. He brings the bug spray.

Notes:
Rex's leather jacket has a Pegasus horse embroidered on the back--the traditional logo of Mobile Oil. The guys from "American Pickers" would probably pay big bucks to get their hands on that.

Ken Madison interviews a temporary office secretary--none other than our lovely Joan Staley.

Last edited:

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I was reading the TV Guide fall preview issue for the 1958-59 season. Here’s how they previewed 77 Sunset Strip. I’m sure Roger and Edd were pleased
C6C9D3F4-1E86-4A6C-9A29-BED0D8782A6D.jpeg
33766549-800F-494F-AF45-C4B36AA40BDC.jpeg

Attachments

• B8F3A1C7-D6F8-4036-8A5A-20FD218A0605.jpeg
    B8F3A1C7-D6F8-4036-8A5A-20FD218A0605.jpeg
    926.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 1BF2C9ED-04E5-4674-B28A-532356D0DF94.jpeg
    1BF2C9ED-04E5-4674-B28A-532356D0DF94.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
I hear ya, Russ!

As to my recent query...is there not one 77 Sunset Strip episode that takes place in inclement weather?
One episode comes to mind at this moment---The Rice Estate. Stu Bailey arrives at the Rice house in a rainstorm. Not on the Strip, per se-- but certainly SoCal

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
One episode comes to mind at this moment---The Rice Estate. Stu Bailey arrives at the Rice house in a rainstorm. Not on the Strip, per se-- but certainly SoCal

Oh, yeah! How could I forget one of my favorite episodes! I think it's the only time we see the top up on Stu's car.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Looks like the holiday doldrums have hit this thread. Slowwwwww.
I'll keep posting some Bourbon Street Beat commentaries and probably some 77 SS revisits as soon as the prime rib roast, every imaginable kind of cookie and epic amounts of bourbon have been expelled from my body.

Thanks for keeping the thread alive, Russ!

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Working it. Always.
I just realized my above response makes it sound like I'm the only one who contributes in here. Not true. Thanks for everyone's ideas, thoughts and comments. Together we've created nearly 165 pages of pretty amazing content on a truly cool and nostalgic subject / era.

Let's make 2020 in here even more astounding.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I just realized my above response makes it sound like I'm the only one who contributes in here. Not true. Thanks for everyone's ideas, thoughts and comments. Together we've created nearly 165 pages of pretty amazing content on a truly cool and nostalgic subject / era.

Let's make 2020 in here even more astounding.
I'm sure nobody took it that way Russ. It's all good.
Everyone here have a great New Year.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
Bourbon Street Beat
"Melody In Diamonds" (S1E20)

It's Mardi Gras time in New Orleans. We know this to be true due to the opening travelogue shots of the city besieged in floats and scores of crazy people dressed in costumes so colorful they almost transcend black and white TV.

BSB secretary Melody (Arlene Howell) is getting all gussied up to join in the festivities. Helping her with her costume is dazzling socialite Magda Lazar (Gale Robbins) channeling her best Zsz Zsa imitation. Even wearing Magda's diamonds and what appears to be a wedding gown from the wardrobe of Gone With the Wind, Melody still exudes about as much sexuality as a junior high school librarian. Kenny (Van Williams), arrives to take her to the party, himself dressed in a traditional Harlequin costume. The night purports to be about as much fun as visiting the dentist's office.

Rex (Richard Long), annoyed by all the frivolities, is hanging around the office in his jammies with a glass of bourbon and a good book, possibly Nuns In Leather. A stunningly-attired Magda convinces Rex to come out and play by planting a big wet liplock on him. "You Hungarian hussey!" he grumbles.

upload_2020-1-3_10-18-42.jpeg
images
images
images

Magda and Rex get silly at a church social; Melody gets dressed up to no avail; Cal practices his scowl; Kenny tries out a new costume

Meanwhile, evil Sebastian Brisco (Steve Peck), also dressed in a Harlequin costume, has not so noble intentions towards Melody and cons her into a dance with him. She eventually finds her real diamond necklace has been swapped out for fake. Magda is incensed by the loss of her jewels and her generosity turns to rancor towards poor sweet Melody. Considered a suspect in the theft, Melody may be headed for jail. Rex and Cal (Andrew Duggan) recall an old case involving the "Tuxedo Kid"--a jewel thief who effortless stole jewels off women with whom he was dancing. None other than Sebastian Brisco.

Rex is on the trail of Sebastian, only to find the guy dead--dressed in a Harlequin suit. An embarrassing way to leave this world. But no diamonds are found. Sebastian's wife, however, has gone missing. Turns out wifey is also the assistant of Magda. Hmmmm. Seems that Magda's diamonds weren't real, either. I smell insurance fraud.

I've watched five or ten episodes of BSB so far, and I realize that for a series set in New Orleans, it may as well have been in Muncie, Indiana for all the charms of the bayou city is incorporated into the stories. I mean, one just can't overdo etouffee.

Notes:
Ken Madison is drowning his sorrows in ginger ale at the bar while the piano player tinkles out "As Time Goes By".

Gale Robbins, the former "Miss Chicago", was a top attraction in Bob Hope's overseas military shows.
upload_2020-1-3_10-16-18.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks