1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Frank Soyke, Mar 7, 2011.

1. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Russ, you make this episode sound fun! It has a good cast. Andra Martin and Marie Windsor are both in other episodes of BSB, and they're both very good in them. But then, Marie Windsor was always good.

2. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Saving The Strip: Seventh Season, 1964–65

Part 12: Final Notes

As it turned out, the collapse of Webb’s grand plan to help revitalize the show using modern jazz caused no problems. In fact, it was arguably a huge stroke of luck. For one thing, the Crescendo ultimately closed about ten episodes into the seventh season, which would have been awkward had the show been relying upon its presence to enhance authenticity.

(By the way, here’s a screen cap from S1E3 “A Nice Social Evening,” showing the Crescendo:

The Crescendo from S01E03 A Nice Social Evening.

The 77 Sunset Strip building is just out of the frame to the left. The Playboy building will fill the space between the two, more or less.)

More importantly, jazz was even then beginning to lose its foothold in the Top 40 (as suggested by the failure of the Crescendo), so the intended weekly dose of modern jazz would likely have come to seem a bit dated as the season progressed. Orr’s on-the-fly fix of including a mix of folk acts appealing to Boomers and pop acts appealing to their parents worked well to place the show in the present moment, for a much wider audience than Webb’s strategy was likely to have done.

And while Stu’s classical contributions may not have done anything to add to the show’s contemporary feel, they did remind viewers that, at his core, Stu was a cultured, highly-educated, complex fellow.

The icing on the musical cake is that the one part of the jazz strategy that was implemented, the hard-bop themes and cues, did end up having the effect Webb originally intended. The tight, muscular, well-executed music lent an air of heightened energy to the show from the first frame to the last. The new versions (there were several, in various moods) of Kookie’s leitmotif were especially effective.

Moreover, in what was probably just a coincidence, on July 17, 1965 the Horace Silver Quintet had its greatest chart success when “Song for My Father” peaked at 95 on the Billboard Hot 100. It spent 10 weeks total on the chart, and went on to become a jazz standard, the intro of which is later famously quoted by Steely Dan in “Rikki Don’t Lose That Number.” So Webb did have the right idea about the themes and cues.

The show was just lucky all around. The music worked, the changes demanded by the stars worked, and as the season progressed, the mood of the country improved.

Still, fortune does tend to favor the prepared. Orr managed to meet every goal set for him. The seventh season was just as crackling with energy as was the first. As a result, Sunset Strip rebounded admirably in the seventh season, landing in the top 25 for the first time since the third season. The audience is back!

Sadly, however, the show may not be back. The very magnitude of its success in this season may well have doomed it.

3. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Oh, and if you look at the screen cap I included in the above post, you'll see that under the MeTV bug is the top of an angled blade sign with just "C" showing. That's almost certainly the sign for Chez Paulette.

I've never seen the whole sign, but I have seen the bottom "E" of it in photos of the front, and it's angled, light lettering on a dark background, and in the same typeface as the "C" in the above photo. And that's at least roughly where Chez Paulette was.

Flashgear and Gary16 like this.
  4. Message #3224 of 3259 Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Sorry. Little kitten feet on the keyboard created an unintended, ineradicable post.

Carry on.

Flashgear likes this.
  5. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Sometimes I use that as my excuse when I've posted something after one too many cocktails. :mellow:

Flashgear likes this.
  6. ajabrams

ajabrams Second Unit

Alan Abrams
    Here's another shoutout for The Roaring Twenties. I'd love to see that show again, especially for the participation of Dorothy Provine as Pinky -- and all her wonderful songs!!

7. Bob Goughan

Bob Goughan Stunt Coordinator

Bob Goughan
    My mom hated the show and unlike 77 or HE, I had to sneak to watch the show, ready at any time to change the station. Not as good as the other shows but worthy in it's own right.

Jeff Flugel, Flashgear and Rustifer like this.
  8. Bob Goughan

Bob Goughan
    Chinatown, now there was a film.

9. Bob Goughan

Bob Goughan
    Nita Talbot was nice to look at always. Did a few nice tuns in BSB.

Flashgear and Rustifer like this.
  10. Bob Goughan

Bob Goughan
    I thought this was a weak episode and I agree Melody was at the bottom of the pecking order in the gals that know/.work for the guys in the four shows. How did he pay for the 'vette??

Rustifer likes this.
  11. Bob Goughan

Bob Goughan
    Don't worry. The posts are spot on.

Flashgear and Rustifer like this.
  12. Bob Goughan

Bob Goughan
    This is very good...

criblecoblis, Flashgear and Rustifer like this.
  13. Bob Goughan

Bob Goughan
    As my wife would say, "It's the bra..."

14. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Thanks, Bob. I'll fire up a few more commentaries once I get over this nagging flu. Mainlining Nyquil doesn't generally facilitate lucid thoughts.

Gary16 and Flashgear like this.
  15. Bob Goughan

Bob Goughan
    Nor does drinking it straight out of the bottle.

16. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    It's been fun. . .

17. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Absolutely great and imaginative, Rob!

criblecoblis likes this.
  18. Message #3238 of 3259 Nov 27, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Episode Commentary
    Bourbon Street Beat
    "The Black Magnolia" (S1E12)

You can't have a decent New Orleans story without sticking a steamboat into the plot. It may be stereotypical, but necessary. Add in a cast that includes Mary Tyler Moore, a fairly good script and some atmospheric photography--and you've got something to watch.

The Mongomery Sisters, Laura and Nancy (MTM, Melora Conway), want to find $75,000 that their gambler grandfather hid on the Mississippi Queen years ago. Laura hires Cal Calhoun (Andrew Duggan) to find the missing cash after Nancy gets shot earlier for sneaking onto the boat to nose around. The boat watchman (Joe King) used her as target practice.
    Cal visits Laura's Aunt Lurella (Sara Hayden) who may have a clue as to the location of the money. Lurella claims the money is a curse and a myth. In addition, she considered Grandpa to be a complete arsehole.

Meanwhile, Cal is being followed by a scurrilous fellow who gives him a whopping conk on the head. No reason given. With dented head, Cal next visits the watchman who is conveniently related to one of the grandfather's enemies. The plot, she thickens. The watchman proves to be an uncooperative fellow, so Cal beats the snot out of him just to get in a little daily exercise.

[​IMG] o[​IMG] [​IMG]
    MGM before pre-glamorous Laura Petrie; Richard Long wonders what anyone sees in Arlene Howell; Ken Madison helms the S.S. Gayheart

Cal proposes to visit the riverboat himself after poring over blueprints of the vessel. He has some ideas. Seems to date, everyone looking for the lost cash has confined their searches to drawers and cabinets on the boat--as if those would be sufficient hiding places to remain undiscovered for so many years. By the time Cal gets to the paddlewheeler, the watchman has been murdered. Laura gets arrested for the deed due to her scarf being found on the body. "A frightening miscarriage of justice," intones Cal is his best Southern accent.

Turns out that Aunt Lurella was quite the beauty back in her heyday, frequently prancing about on the Mississippi Queen in a proverbial little black dress--thus earning the nickname "Black Magnolia". Spoiler Alert: Auntie has some help finding the cash--a surprising relative.
    Mystery being solved, Cal, Rex and Laura enjoy a nice meal of chicken aspic, lobster thermador, ham 'n eggs. Not a bowl of gumbo anywhere.

Notes:
    Sign in a diner: Fried Oysters 45 cents. I don't think I've ever paid less than twelve bucks for a modest batch of fried oysters.

I'm getting used to frequent meeting scenes in the BSB detective's office kitchen / bar--which has an inconvenient spiral staircase in the middle of it. It's the only interesting element in the office.

Mary Tyler Moore looks uncharacteristically humdrum in this episode until the last scene at dinner, where she wears a dress exposing a fair expanse of breastal flesh.

19. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Wow. I haven't experienced this level of quiet since I bought a new Audi and didn't tell my wife beforehand.

20. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    That's because I made a dozen long posts in a row. It'll be the new year before the thread recovers.

Gary16 likes this.