What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (2 Viewers)

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
“Our Man in Switzerland” (S5E33)

Another dreaded “international” episode—oh, the sacrifices I make to entertain myself. Thank god for vodka distilleries.

Opening scene: Kookie is gussied up in his best Sunday School suit, very business-like and delivering, on behalf of the firm Bailey & Spencer, $1 million in securities to their current client. Unfortunately, Kookie delivers it to it to an imposter who absconds with the goods. The Bailey & Spencer reputation is wholly besmirched and must be restored. The thief, Tony Dawson (Alan Caillou) is the head of what is called the “cleverest international gang in the world”. We’ll see about that. Read on.

Scotland Yard and Interpol indicate that the gang could well be meeting up in Gstaad, Switzerland. Stu Bailey books a flight and in no time is checking into the town’s quaint ski lodge creatively named the “Chalet” and sets about flirting with the cute desk clerk Adrianne Monet (Maria Machado). In between sharing brandy cocktails with her in front of a roaring fire—very cozy, very Alpiney--Stu awaits the arrival of his contact, Paul Fontaine (the ever-present international guest Kurt Krueger). In the meantime, we’re bombarded with stock footage of the Alps, skiers shushing down slopes, guests sucking down hot toddys and quaking aspens.

upload_2019-4-3_18-49-1.jpeg
upload_2019-4-3_18-49-39.jpeg
images

Maria Machado, Kurt Krueger, Albert Paulsen

In an attempt to launch a relationship with Adrianne, Stu peculiarly explains in detail his morning toiletry habits, inspiring her to declare he’s an “attractive yet dangerous man”. Huh? Morning absolutions as dangerous? Eventually his contact Paul Fontaine shows up and identifies himself as Interpol by quoting Stu’s curriculum vitae including his physical statistics: 6’1” and 161 lbs. What? At 6’1” weighing only 161 lbs., Stu must literally disappear when he turns sideways. Paul and Stu (in all his skinniness) lay in wait for the gang members to eventually show up.

Stu and Adrianne continue to flirt.

Finally, two of the thieves check in—Vito Orsini (Miguel Landa) and Rudolf Gerhardt (Albert Paulsen, who has never played a good guy in his entire career). They learn that Dawson, who has the loot and was to meet them at the lodge to distribute it, has been murdered. Did one of them double cross the other? Neither seems to have enough sense as to know whether snow falls up or down.

Stu and Adrianne upgrade to making out like backseat teenagers at the drive-in.

Paul Fontaine corners Orsini and Gerhardt, demanding the loot. Neither can deliver so he shoots them dead in the picturesque studio set of a snowy mountainside. Aha! A twist! The good guy is actually bad.

Stu and Adrianne continue touchy-feely aerobics. However, Stu smells a rat. Just as one would think the role of Adrianne Monet has no plot purpose whatsoever in the story, well…
It's an okay episode, but too much footage spent on Stu and Adrianne's burgeoning romance. Plus, it's never good to move the series away from the Strip and leave our favorite characters and locations behind.

Randoms:
For some reason, there’s almost no information available on actress Maria Machado. Born in Germany in 1937, IMDb lists only 26 acting credits for her from 1962 to 2014.

An unintended irony in the episode is that the missing securities are hidden in Adrianne’s family crypt. So, the money was in the Monet mausoleum. How alliteratively fitting.

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Was just curious - what is the consensus on that show, plus Hawaiian Eye and Surfside 6, from the esteemed experts here? And why is it that 77SS gets all the love? Was it that much better of a show? Legitimately curious here...
Jeff, there's not much I can add regarding Bourbon Street Beat that hasn't been admirably answered by Rob, Lutz and Martin.
I, for one, wasn't much into the show, even when I had the chance to watch it as a young 'un when first aired. As for Hawaiian Eye and Surfside 6, I still fervently hope MeTV picks these up once their 77 SS rotation runs out. I loved those almost as much as my dear 77 Sunset Strip.

I'm fortunate that I have a number of those HE and SS 6 episodes on VHS that I purchased many years ago from a great source who had access to the WB masters. My copies still have the original commercials from the era. Yeah...Ipana toothpaste, Brylcreme, Chef Boy-Ar-Dee spaghetti in a box, Salem cigarettes--I swear that 60 years later, those ads are as interesting and curious as the episodes themselves.
I would do commentaries on the two series for this thread, but since they're unavailable on DVD or currently syndicated on any TV channel, most folks here wouldn't be able to relate like we can with the 77 SS series.

Although both series were patterned after their grandaddy 77 SS, each had their own unique qualities and characters to make them imminently enjoyable. Surfside 6 took place on a houseboat across from the famous Fountainebleu Hotel in Miami, which I visited often in my business travels. I would stand at the place where the houseboat was moored much the same as I stood on the sidewalk at the site of 77 Sunset Strip and absorb the nostalgic aura into my memory bank.

images

A pity that some of the most iconic WB TV locations are no more.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
One way BSB and the others can still be viewed is on television itself, as the music rights are still clear for that medium. Since 77SS is still running after three complete cycles, we have to assume it's been doing pretty well, even in such an ugly time slot.

My suggestion: We should all petition Me-TV and ask them to license at least one of the other three, perhaps to air on the weekends (as there are fewer episodes of each). If they get enough requests, they may well think it's worth a gamble.

All right, who's with me?

Mike S.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Glad to see another of your very enjoyable episode commentaries, Russ!...I was worried you might be leaving the forum for awhile, please don't abandon us here to just rattle around in our own heads, ha, ha...we need you and Rob, Gary, Martin, Lutz, Marv, Jeff, Mike, Misha, Dolly and all highly valued others to keep the fires burning...

If I may, a little bit more of a previous tangent...

Back a little way, there was a nice discussion going in the way of an informal tribute to the great Andrew Duggan, whose close association with the WB detective series is particularly pronounced, not just as one of the leads on Bourbon Street Beat, but also for his many guest star appearances on the rest of the WB detective line (6 episodes of 77 Sunset Strip)...and also just about all of the WB Westerns too...the guy was everywhere on vintage TV back in the day...his regular role on seasons two and three of QM's 12 O'Clock High was also mentioned...a profoundly satisfying and well drawn depiction of a career staff officer in the Mighty Eighth Army Air Force of WW2, Major General / Brigadier General Ed Britt...those who admire him in that series can do no better than to revisit the second season episode, Storm at Twilight (Nov. 22, 1965)...which is probably the best Frank Overton (Major Harvey Stovall) episode too...some brilliantly realized and authentic dialogue between these two actors in this atmospheric story...these guys really convince me that they are two long serving pre-war AAF veterans with a close and profoundly meaningful friendship between them, and now thrust into a new shared agony in the desperate air war of WW2...here is a 1965 publicity photo from this brilliant episode...Andrew Duggan and Frank Overton in their finest moments of this series...
56369774_3150286318330264_5429503020570247168_n.jpg

If you care to, the episode is available for viewing on Youtube...

Here is Andrew Duggan as you have probably never seen him...with that mop top, is he in the full throws of "BeatleMania"? ha, ha...no, it is Andrew Duggan playing a 19th century Scotsman with murder in his black heart in season three's Alfred Hitchcock Hour The McGregor Affair (Nov. 23, 1964)...Elsa Lanchester the worse for wear...
Alfred Hitchcock 56.JPG

Aye, there's a wench...there's always a wench, ha, ha...played by Janine Gray...
Alfred Hitchcock 58.JPG

William Smith, soon to be cast as a regular on Laredo, might present a speed bump on the road to Duggan's plans for personal and financial freedom...or, a witless co-conspirator? This is a Hitchcock presentation, after all...
Alfred Hitchcock 62.JPG

Alfred Hitchcock 63.JPG

Alfred Hitchcock 64.JPG

In his closing monologue, Hitchcock contemplates the lethal potential of the bagpipes as an improvised and impromptu weapon for murder...a good joke that I heard defines a Scottish gentleman as a man who knows how to play the bagpipes...but doesn't, ha. ha...
Alfred Hitchcock 60.JPG

You can watch this episode on Youtube, at least for the time being, and in dreaded faux widescreen here...along with other episodes of Hitchcock Hour...

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Glad to see another of your very enjoyable episode commentaries, Russ!...I was worried you might be leaving the forum for awhile, please don't abandon us here to just rattle around in our own heads, ha, ha...we need you and Rob, Gary, Martin, Lutz, Marv, Jeff, Mike, Misha, Dolly and all highly valued others to keep the fires burning...
Fear not, Randall--I would never abandon this forum, at least not willingly. Any gaps in my participation are generally due to other projects suddenly dropped onto me that have tight deadlines. I also use them to slyly avoid household chores like brushing the cat or replacing toilet lids.

Great commentary by you on fine actor Andrew Duggan, whose career should not, and cannot, be defined only by his role on Bourbon Street Beat. Thanks for reminding us of the many other roles he so aptly played.
I add that Mr. Duggan was a fellow Hoosier and graduate of my Alma Mater, Indiana University. No, we weren't roommates--I'm not that old, fer cryin' out loud...
Duggan's character's credibility in 12 O'Clock High was most likely drawn from his service in the army in India, China and Burma during WWII--where he met fellow serviceman Melvyn Douglas--who was responsible for leading Duggan to Hollywood.

BTW: Janine Gray does make for a very nice wench although shall we, for political correctness etiquette, refer to her as a comely working lass...

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
I also want to add to my small dissertation on Surfside 6 (above) that Hawaiian Eye also had some great characteristics. Especially Robert Conrad and Anthony Eisley's nifty poolside office in the Hilton Hawaiian Village, and the Shell Bar where Connie Stevens exercised her pipes singing to ogling visitors.
I think I mentioned in a post way, way back that I actually installed tiki lamps around my deck to get in the mood for watching the series. My wife was sure I would burn down the deck, the surrounding birch trees, and any wildlife unfortunate enough to be in the vicinity.

Although I never made it to Hawaii to suck in any leftover nostalgia from the show, the Hilton still exists but the Shell Bar has been completely renovated to be unrecognizable from its original configuration.

upload_2019-4-4_10-6-54.jpeg
upload_2019-4-4_10-7-57.jpeg
images

The Shell Bar then...and now (as "Tropics" bar and grill--where I'd still be okay in ordering a Suffering Bastard cocktail)

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
My suggestion: We should all petition Me-TV and ask them to license at least one of the other three, perhaps to air on the weekends (as there are fewer episodes of each). If they get enough requests, they may well think it's worth a gamble.

Mike, I'm in. How would this best be done? An e-mail through their Web site?

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Jeff, there's not much I can add regarding Bourbon Street Beat that hasn't been admirably answered by Rob, Lutz and Martin.
I, for one, wasn't much into the show, even when I had the chance to watch it as a young 'un when first aired. As for Hawaiian Eye and Surfside 6, I still fervently hope MeTV picks these up once their 77 SS rotation runs out. I loved those almost as much as my dear 77 Sunset Strip.

I'm fortunate that I have a number of those HE and SS 6 episodes on VHS that I purchased many years ago from a great source who had access to the WB masters. My copies still have the original commercials from the era. Yeah...Ipana toothpaste, Brylcreme, Chef Boy-Ar-Dee spaghetti in a box, Salem cigarettes--I swear that 60 years later, those ads are as interesting and curious as the episodes themselves.
I would do commentaries on the two series for this thread, but since they're unavailable on DVD or currently syndicated on any TV channel, most folks here wouldn't be able to relate like we can with the 77 SS series.

Although both series were patterned after their grandaddy 77 SS, each had their own unique qualities and characters to make them imminently enjoyable. Surfside 6 took place on a houseboat across from the famous Fountainebleu Hotel in Miami, which I visited often in my business travels. I would stand at the place where the houseboat was moored much the same as I stood on the sidewalk at the site of 77 Sunset Strip and absorb the nostalgic aura into my memory bank.

images

A pity that some of the most iconic WB TV locations are no more.

Thanks for adding your take on Surfside 6 and Hawaiian Eye, Russ! I'd be particularly interested in seeing Hawaiian Eye because of Robert Conrad, since I am a huge The Wild Wild West fan...and of course, Connie Stevens ain't chopped liver, either.

536px-Robert_Conrad_Connie_Stevens_Hawaiian_Eye_1960.JPG

american-actress-and-singer-connie-stevens-in-london-13th-july-1971-picture-id992107328

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I'm always up for a challenge, Gary.
Heck, my doctor once challenged me that I wouldn't reach 70. I won.
Hopefully "88 Bars" will roll by again on MeTV for me to catch it, since I didn't record it earlier.
Ok. Here’s your reminder. “88 Bars” will air next week, late Thursday 4/18 going into early Friday 4/19 at the usual 4 am.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
One way BSB and the others can still be viewed is on television itself, as the music rights are still clear for that medium. Since 77SS is still running after three complete cycles, we have to assume it's been doing pretty well, even in such an ugly time slot.

All right, who's with me?

Mike S.

I'm in, but do we know if the other series are being offered for syndication? If not, they should be. I know WB had them at one point on their streaming site and they looked good.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
I'm in, but do we know if the other series are being offered for syndication? If not, they should be. I know WB had them at one point on their streaming site and they looked good.

We don't know until we ask! I know that Bourbon Street Beat ran in its entirety in the not-too-distant past on the GoodLife channel, in pristine prints. Now, according to Wikipedia, Me-TV has access to "selected" WB shows, and a show of interest in the other WB detective shows certainly couldn't hurt in their being made available for broadcast.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer

There was definitely some product placement for CB going on with 77 Sunset Strip in the fifth season. If memory serves, you can see the equipment in Stu and Jeff's offices, and it is shown being used in at least S5E27 "Reunion at Balboa."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks