1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We will be interviewing Criterion soon. Click here for details on how you can submit a question for us to ask.
    Dismiss Notice

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Frank Soyke, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Message #2561 of 2756 Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    I enjoyed the challenge, Gary. I'm curious, are there parts or all of my assessment with which you agree / disagree? I'm always open to fine-tuning my commentaries.

Gary16 likes this.
  2. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin
    Mrs. B. was often shown involved with interior decorating.

Bobby Buntrock--his name always sounded like something out of The Flintstones. The blond Bobby Buntrock, alas, was killed in a motorcycle accident at a young age. So was one of the blond boys that played Doris Day's sons on her show. And the blond Brandon De Wilde; a camper van accident. :(

criblecoblis, Flashgear and Rustifer like this.
  3. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Those are some fairly tragic stats, Martin.
    Looks like not all blondes have more fun.

criblecoblis likes this.
  4. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    Let me review your review again and get back to you

criblecoblis likes this.
  5. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Russ, great job! I loved your introduction, and you do a great job of walking us through the episode.

You hit the nail on the head here, Russ. My only complaint about this episode is how obnoxiously Marlowe-like Stu is.

I think the writers had the Marlowe novel The High Window in mind when they wrote this episode, judging from the out-of-date characterization of Pasadena. Stu is referring to "Millionaire's Row" in that quote, the stretch of South Orange Grove Avenue that was lined with heartbreakingly beautiful Victorian and Craftsman mansions, which began to disappear after WW II and was gone by the time this episode was made. It's still a lovely boulevard, but it's a lot higher in density than before.

Me, I live along East Orange Grove. Completely different neighborhood.

Lutz Koch, Flashgear and Gary16 like this.
  6. Message #2566 of 2756 Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Thanks much for the kudos, Rob!
    Personally, I think I may have shortchanged my view this episode for the sake of brevity. There were so many guest stars that were thrown into the plot that I would have had to write a veritable tome of a commentary to reasonably represent all the aspects the story. But no one should have to wade through that.

And thanks for the nice bit of history on the Pasadena area featured in the story. Great background info. My first thought was that the script was substituting Beverly Hills or Bel Air for Pasadena--just because of how Stu described the area. Now granted, my only experience with Pasadena was a bus trip there for the 1967 Rose Bowl, so I naturally figured that any big estates were in those more storied areas.

Truth be told, I recorded a few more episodes of season 6 to watch. Will I write about any of them? Dunno. If one of them tickles my tummy like a puppy on its back--maybe.

criblecoblis, Flashgear and Gary16 like this.
  7. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    I would love to wade through your thoughts about all the guest stars. That was my primary reason for recommending this episode in the first place. As a longtime fan of Joanna Barnes I thought the scenes with her and Stu were particularly worthy since I don’t believe Stu had much more female attention in season 6. So if you feel like it please give us something to wade through. It’s needed.
    5DD395A3-8807-40B2-9759-4B6F0AD2953F.

criblecoblis and Flashgear like this.
  8. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Okay, Gary. I'll go through my notes again and see if I can pull out a few more thoughts on the guest stars.

9. Message #2569 of 2756 Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Episode Commentary
    "88 Bars" Addendums / Randoms (S6E7)

There's a scene early in this episode where Stu Bailey meets with highly successful gossip columnist Trini (Linda Watkins), whose voice fairly drips with the sneering privilege of having inside information. Stu questions the efficacy of her dirt on Connie Wingate's affair with band pianist Vic Connors. "At $100,000 a year, I can't afford to write literature, dearie ..." It might have sounded more convincing had she not been wearing a hat that appeared to have the entire Victoria Butchart Garden atop of it.
    Linda was known for her "soft, yet strong voice". In a 1931 interview with the Akron Beacon Journal, she revealed how she like to sit in restaurants and observe people eating. "You'd be surprised how quickly they reveal their real selves between soup and dessert."
    Creepy to have Ms. Watkins staring across at you while enjoying your pickled eggs and spumoni.

upload_2019-4-21_10-22-49.

Vic Connors (Bobby Troup) is an unwitting pawn in the story, unaware of Phil Wingate's hate / jealously against him. As Connie's love interest, he plays somewhat of a wussy with a haircut that looks like a holdover from Bobby's stint in the Marines. Vic's so laid back that he could biologically be categorized as a zucchini. I remember Troup mostly from his snippets in the movie Mash as a disgruntled jeep driver, never wasting an opportunity to spew "Goddamn Army!"
    Whether sleepy or stoned as any of his characters seemed, Troup--in actuality--held a Phi Beta Kappa key from Wharton College. Smart enough to marry Julie London, dontcha think?

upload_2019-4-21_10-23-41. upload_2019-4-21_10-24-20.
    Considering who's sitting next to Bobby, one can imagine what his grin represents...

I think the considerable talents of Cloris Leachman as Connie Wingate were squandered in this episode. She seemed to uncontrollably wander to and fro from being migraine-afflicted to a weepy "no-one-understands-me" poor little rich girl. "I'm 35, and all I've ever known were men who wanted me for my money." Oh, boo-hoo. Third richest woman in the world can buy happiness. I would have liked her better had she used her formidable attractiveness in a more vampish manner. Go ahead and use those gold-diggers--then cast them aside like toilet paper stuck on your shoe, girl.

upload_2019-4-21_10-25-54. upload_2019-4-21_10-26-27. [​IMG]
    Three stages of Cloris Leachman

Stu visits professional gambler Art Keller (Barry Kelley) at his penthouse in Las Vegas, to whom Phil owes a considerable amount of gambling debt. Art has a peculiar fetish for his pet parrot, to which he spoon-feeds Russian caviar ($35 a pound!). Braawkk! Polly wants a fish egg! Amusing little vignette, but adding nearly nothing to the plot.

upload_2019-4-21_10-33-31.
    Barry always reminded me of Broderick Crawford--often playing similar thuggish roles.

Vic's estranged wife Natasha (Grace Lee Whitney) is a stripper (...excuse me, an exotic dancer...) in a burlesque show. It's a small part and doesn't contribute anything to the story other than to show off Grace's curves. Which, of course, makes it all okay as far as I'm concerned.

[​IMG]

I did enjoy DeForest Kelley's pre-Star Trek character here. He portrays an impressive gamut of good guy / playboy-type to scheming co-conspirator with Lee Van Cleef to discredit sister Connie's love interest. But boy!--you can't help but still think of him as Dr. McCoy.
    As for Joanna Barnes I agree with you, Gary, as to her likability. However, she has the thankless role in this episode as simply throwing herself at Stu Bailey less than 5 minutes of meeting the guy. I think the writers were hoping to accentuate Stu's Philip Marlowe-like character by having women helplessly slip into the vapors by merely seeing him. I was hoping she somehow had some secretive purpose in Phil's scheme. Nope. Just horny.

So there you have it. Most of this stuff I edited out of my notes in order to streamline my original commentary on the episode. I don't know if this improves it. Your call.

10. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    Thanks for your added thoughts. I’m mostly in agreement. I like the cameos used in season 6 and many other shows of this era and beyond. Every guest star doesn’t necessarily have to contribute to the storyline. Look at shows like “Burke’s Law” or “Murder She Wrote” etc that loaded up with guests each week who had brief usually unimportant roles but added a little glamour or nostalgia to the episode (I’m rambling). In other words it’s nice to see someone’s like Grace Lee Whitney even if it’s not a major part. And one more vote for Joanna Barnes.
    A couple added notes about Bobby Troup:
    He wrote the song “Route 66” which was a major hit for Nat King Cole. Also Julie London had been married to Jack Webb before marrying Troup but they all remained friends. Webb later used Troup in the “Dragnet” revival and then starred Troup and London together in his series “Emergency”.

11. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Russ,

You're welcome! Yes, I was afraid Stu's description of Pasadena would seem odd to anyone who didn't know the city's history as a Western outpost for the Four Hundred (and also as a health resort, which is why so many famous people of that time passed away here). But as I said, the huge estates were long gone by the time this episode first aired, and the city was entering a period of general decay.

So Stu's description of the area was a few decades out of date even then, and undoubtedly rang dissonantly for a lot of viewers at the time who were familiar with the area. They probably thought he was talking about South Pasadena, or nearby San Marino.

But don't get me started with local history, because you'll never stop me.

12. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    I think your local history is fascinating, especially when you tie it into the thread's subject matter.
    One of the aspects I really liked about the Noirish LA forum was the history and pics that related to the film studios and locations. If you bring a bit of that into this forum, Rob, I certainly won't complain!

13. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    No argument here.

criblecoblis and Gary16 like this.
  14. matinee nostalgia

matinee nostalgia Auditioning

Maurice
    Can someone told me why there's a lot, and I mean a lot of episodes of 77 Sunset Strip on Daily motion but no Hawaiian Eye or Surfside 6, is it because these last two are ore registered than 77

15. Montytc

Montytc Stunt Coordinator

Tim Montavon
    Is there any place at all to see an episode of Hawaiian Eye or Surfside 6? I wish MeTV would rotate them once in a while if they have the rights.

16. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    Take Note: MeTV will air “Girl on the Run” on Wednesday night, May 8 (early Thursday, May 9) at 4 am.

criblecoblis and Flashgear like this.
  17. Mysto

Mysto Supporting Actor

marv long
    Currently the only place where you can watch them is gray market sources unfortunately. It's really a shame. When goodlife changed the only place left broadcasting is MEtv and recently it's only been 77 Sunset Strip.

Flashgear likes this.
  18. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    There used to be a number of episodes on Warner’s instant archive streaming service but I stopped subscribing a year ago so I don’t know if they’re still being offered.

19. Mysto

Mysto Supporting Actor

marv long
    My understanding is Warner Instant Archive is no more.

20. criblecoblis

Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Thanks for the heads-up, Gary! I wonder which version they will run? :popcorn:

EDIT: Hmm. . . they seem to be running it in the same time slot, which would suggest an edited version of the pilot. Well, I guess we'll have to wait to see May 9's schedule when it is revealed tomorrow. But in any event, I am overjoyed that they are adding this episode to the rotation on the, what is it now, fifth time through? It shows that they are still paying attention to the show.

Rustifer, Gary16 and Flashgear like this.