What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (2 Viewers)

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
You know, I really should have been watching that show all along, seeing as how it's situated just a few neighborhoods away from us and steeped in local culture. Maybe when it comes to Me-TV I'll catch up with it. . . .
I'm surprised that you've never seen this TV show, considering it's supposedly based in Pasadena. But I'll admit, there's very little Pasadena in the show itself.

I really love that they use the WB backlot. See, Russ, this is what I was trying to say some time back. As much as I share your wish that 77SS had done a lot more location shooting around town, for me the backlot itself has become a location that is fun to spot, and to see how it evolved over time.
As time goes on, I am getting closer to your viewpoint--I enjoy identifying parts of WB's backlot. Not only in 77 SS, but in films and other TV show. I need to re-watch "Terror in a Small Town" as I had forgotten how much of the WB "neighborhood" is utilized in that episode.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Hey, Russ and Rob, do you know what happened to the Skyscraper Page / Noirish L. A. forum?
It's been down all day today at least. I hope this is just some kind of a glitch.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Hey, Russ and Rob, do you know what happened to the Skyscraper Page / Noirish L. A. forum?
It's been down all day today at least. I hope this is just some kind of a glitch.

Martin, I customarily read that in the late evening on my downstairs laptop. It was up yesterday, but I haven't checked it today. I'll report back if I find it down too.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
I haven't been on that site since you pointed me here so long ago...

Russ, I've been pondering putting together a post on the Noirish thread about the structure used for the interior of the Baker house, just to see whether any of those incredible house detectives recognize it. I'm not sure such a post would be welcomed there, but if I do I'll mention it here.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Russ, I've been pondering putting together a post on the Noirish thread about the structure used for the interior of the Baker house, just to see whether any of those incredible house detectives recognize it. I'm not sure such a post would be welcomed there, but if I do I'll mention it here.
I think that's a good idea, Rob. There's so many more participants in that forum than here--- you're bound to get a bite or two .
I need to get back to scanning that site again--- it fascinated me so much, but I was never very successful in posting anything of interest--- I didn't have the background like you native guys.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
I'm surprised that you've never seen this TV show, considering it's supposedly based in Pasadena. But I'll admit, there's very little Pasadena in the show itself.

Russ, Wifey and I got out of the habit of watching first-run broadcast TV a long time ago, and so Big Bang Theory was off our range. But my friend who lives very near me loves the show, and has identified all the actual locations used for establishing shots and the occasional location shoot.

IIRC, he says that the location of the apartment building is a factual impossibility, because 1) it is at an address on Los Robles Avenue (two city blocks west of us) in a block that does not exist, several blocks north of the street's northern terminus, and 2) you can see City Hall from there, which would be several miles south and west of that location if it existed.

But (and he shows a certain obsession here) he maintains he has located the actual apartment building in the location at which the fictional apartment is portrayed based upon its relation to City Hall, a bit north of Union on Euclid.

So the producers of the show do have some fun with locations.

As time goes on, I am getting closer to your viewpoint--I enjoy identifying parts of WB's backlot. Not only in 77 SS, but in films and other TV show. I need to re-watch "Terror in a Small Town" as I had forgotten how much of the WB "neighborhood" is utilized in that episode.

It does lend some interest to an episode that (IIRC) neither of us likes much! You know, ever since my immersion in "Pasadena Caper," suddenly I am able to identify that part of the backlot whenever it appears in an episode. For example, the street with the row of Victorian storefronts is used as the main street of the Western town in S3E29 "Old Card Sharps Never Die."

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
I need to get back to scanning that site again--- it fascinated me so much, but I was never very successful in posting anything of interest--- I didn't have the background like you native guys.

Russ, I've never had much success posting there either; seldom does one of my posts elicit any response at all. However, in recent times the denizens of that thread have become noticeably less clique-ish, and more willing to entertain requests for information and the like. I haven't seen one complaint regarding the relativity of a post to the thread topic in a long time.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Russ, I've never had much success posting there either; seldom does one of my posts elicit any response at all.
I never could figure out how to post pictures on that Forum. If I can't post pics, I'm a lost soul. Well, that and the fact almost no one responded to my references of 77 Sunset Strip.
However, in recent times the denizens of that thread have become noticeably less clique-ish,
I'm not sure I recognized any clique-ishness, other than I didn't have the LA background experienced by most of the participants.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
I never could figure out how to post pictures on that Forum. If I can't post pics, I'm a lost soul. Well, that and the fact almost no one responded to my references of 77 Sunset Strip.

Well, I and Flashgear did, at least. And don't you realize that your posts on the Noirish thread are what led me to start DVRing 77 Sunset Strip? Yes, you are responsible for my discovering my favorite show of all time. And don't argue with me; I have just reviewed the record.

Regarding the posting of pictures, I'm in the same boat. We are quite fortunate here in that Home Theater Forum hosts its own images. The Skyscraper Forum is like most forums in that one must find his own image host.

Now, while I do have an image host for my own blog, that process is transparent to me, so I have not really figured out how to go about hosting images for universal access anywhere on the Intertubes. Because that what it's all about. One must often find a place to park images that is accessible from anywhere.

If I should figure that out, I'll ensmarten you regarding how to get that done.

I'm not sure I recognized any clique-ishness, other than I didn't have the LA background experienced by most of the participants.

You are more easygoing than I.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
And don't you realize that your posts on the Noirish thread are what led me to start DVRing 77 Sunset Strip? Yes, you are responsible for my discovering my favorite show of all time. And don't argue with me; I have just reviewed the record.
I'm glad something good came out of my pitiful posts in the Noirish thread...

I sincerely doubt that.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Well, I and Flashgear did, at least. And don't you realize that your posts on the Noirish thread are what led me to start DVRing 77 Sunset Strip? Yes, you are responsible for my discovering my favorite show of all time. And don't argue with me; I have just reviewed the record.

Regarding the posting of pictures, I'm in the same boat. We are quite fortunate here in that Home Theater Forum hosts its own images. The Skyscraper Forum is like most forums in that one must find his own image host.

Now, while I do have an image host for my own blog, that process is transparent to me, so I have not really figured out how to go about hosting images for universal access anywhere on the Intertubes. Because that what it's all about. One must often find a place to park images that is accessible from anywhere.

If I should figure that out, I'll ensmarten you regarding how to get that done.

Careful what you say to Russ - his head is already pretty big!:rolling-smiley:

We miss your posts on the Mystery series Rob. Please visit when you have a chance.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
We miss your posts on the Mystery series Rob. Please visit when you have a chance.

Thanks, Marv, and sorry about my lack of participation there. For a while I was entirely occupied with my thread-deadening "Pasadena Caper" posts. Then, I caught a big updraft in my recovery, and since then have been busy trying to catch up on a year and a half of neglected chores. Whatever writing efforts I have made recently have been for my blog. I haven't even had much chance to watch 77SS lately.

I will make an effort to get back into the discussion on the Mystery series thread, and catch up on my 77SS viewing, in the coming days.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Thanks, Marv, and sorry about my lack of participation there. For a while I was entirely occupied with my thread-deadening "Pasadena Caper" posts. Then, I caught a big updraft in my recovery, and since then have been busy trying to catch up on a year and a half of neglected chores. Whatever writing efforts I have made recently have been for my blog. I haven't even had much chance to watch 77SS lately.

I will make an effort to get back into the discussion on the Mystery series thread, and catch up on my 77SS viewing, in the coming days.
No problem. Just wanted you to know you were missed.:)

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
Queen of the Cats (S6E20)

I've never made it a secret of my general disdain towards the last season of 77 SS. However, Rob and Gary exhorted me to watch a couple episodes to see if it would change my lockjaw mind. I watched and did a commentary (several pages back) on The Target--which didn't do much to jingle my chimes. To finish my promise, Queen of the Cats--the series' last episode--was the other on my list.

I was pleasantly surprised.

Helen Johnson (Virginia Gregg), the local scavenger lady and cat lover, shows up a Sarge's Bar--a regular stop on her usual daily route. She shows the bartender a want ad she's answered that requests one Helen Johnson to respond. Helen reports that she appeared at the requested time and place--but nothing happened. When leaving the bar, she's distracted by a stray cat in the alley and gets kidnapped. The story essentially begins here.

Switch to the spiffy office of Bailey--Private Investigator (such is indicated on the door), as Stu is beginning a narration of his latest case to Hannah (Joan Staley). She distractedly plays with a kitten, basically ignoring Stu's dictation. Fade to:
Stu has been hired by rich girl Marion Armstrong (Jena Engstrom) to find her long lost mother, nee Helen Johnson. Included in Marion's entourage: her secretary Robbie (Paula Raymond) and lawyer Uncle Charlie (Parley Baer).

images
upload_2019-3-6_11-48-10.jpeg
upload_2019-3-6_11-48-42.jpeg
images

Virginia Gregg, Jena Engstrom, Paula Raymond, Parley Baer

Stu is immediately set upon first by Uncle Charlie, then Robbie, to do a "side deal" with each--neither of which are positive to Marion's efforts to find her mother. Marion's father divorced Helen only a few years after she was born--Helen taking to the hills never to be seen again. A recent tip from Marion's nanny claims Helen is still alive but is in some sort of peril. Thus begins Marion's frantic search for mom.

Meanwhile, Helen is being held in a shack in the wilderness. Probably the most interesting part of the episode is the frank interaction she has with her captor she calls "Buddy" (Steve Ihnat). Ms. Gregg's acting ability is in full display in the exchanges--some kind, some witty--she has with Buddy. It comes to a screeching end when she heartily whacks him in the back of the head with, what else--a frying pan--and escapes.

I realize this commentary has rambled on longer than necessary and is unusually devoid of my usual cynicism (which irks me greatly), so I need to wrap it up. The story comes to a head in Helen's shabby quarters when Uncle Charlie reveals his true purpose in keeping Helen away from his daughter. A rousing fist fight between Stu (read: stunt double) and Buddy ends in the Mother And Child Reunion--which was only a motion away.*

The acting in this episode is truly a cut above usual, due mostly to the efforts of Virginia Gregg and Ms. Engstom. Interestingly, the "bad" guys are not so bad so the story has some nuance and heart. I found it refreshing. Hats off to you guys (Rob and Gary) for your recommendation.

Randoms:
I noticed that Sarge's Bar suspiciously has the same wood paneling that adorned the Dino's stage set. Last show of the series, why not use some of the leftovers, eh?

The opening theme song--although not the iconic finger snapping 50's prattle we're so used to--was written by composer Bob Thompson (Picnic, Long Hot Summer) and much more indicative of the modern kind of TV theme music emerging (e.g The Fugitive, Route 66) in newer series.

Joan Staley as Stu's secretary, is once again sort of stand-offish from his leering looks and advances. Lacking the elegant beauty of Jacqueline Beer, she's still cute as all get out.

*Apologies to Paul Simon

Last edited:

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Episode Commentary

I've never made it a secret of my general disdain towards the last season of 77 SS. However, Rob and Gary exhorted me to watch a couple episodes to see if it would change my lockjaw mind. I watched and did a commentary (several pages back) on The Target--which didn't do much to jingle my chimes. To finish my promise, Queen of the Cats--the series' last episode--was the other on my list.

I was pleasantly surprised.

Helen Johnson (Virginia Gregg), the local scavenger lady and cat lover, shows up a Sarge's Bar--a regular stop on her usual daily route. She shows the bartender a want ad she's answered that requests one Helen Johnson to respond. Helen reports that she appeared at the requested time and place--but nothing happened. When leaving the bar, she's distracted by a stray cat in the alley and gets kidnapped. The story essentially begins here.

Switch to the spiffy office of Bailey--Private Investigator (such is indicated on the door), as Stu is beginning a narration of his latest case to Hannah (Joan Staley). She distractedly plays with a kitten, basically ignoring Stu's dictation. Fade to:
Stu has been hired by rich girl Marion Armstrong (Jena Engstrom) to find her long lost mother, nee Helen Johnson. Included in Marion's entourage: her secretary Robbie (Paula Raymond) and lawyer Uncle Charlie (Parley Baer).

images
View attachment 55935 View attachment 55936
images

Virginia Gregg, Jena Engstrom, Paula Raymond, Parley Baer

Stu is immediately set upon by first Uncle Charlie, then Robbie, to do a "side deal" with each--neither of which are positive to Marion's efforts to find her mother. Marion's father divorced Helen only a few years after she was born--Helen taking to the hills never to be seen again. A recent tip from Marion's nanny claims Helen is still alive but is in some sort of peril. Thus begins Marion's frantic search for mom.

Meanwhile, Helen is being held in a shack in the wilderness. Probably the most interesting part of the episode is the frank interaction she has with her captor she calls "Buddy" (Steve Ihnat). Ms. Gregg's acting ability is in full display in the exchanges--some kind, some witty--she has with Buddy. It comes to a screeching end when she heartily whacks him in the back of the head with, what else--a frying pan--and escapes.

I realize this commentary has rambled on longer than necessary and is unusually devoid of my usual cynicism (which irks me greatly), so I need to wrap it up. The story comes to a head in Helen's shabby quarters when Uncle Charlie reveals his true purpose in keeping Helen away from his daughter. A rousing fist fight between Stu (read: stunt double) and Buddy ends in the Mother And Child Reunion--which was only a motion away.*

The acting in this episode is truly a cut above usual, due mostly to the efforts of Virginia Gregg and Ms. Engstom. Interestingly, the "bad" guys are not so bad so the story has some nuance and heart. I found it refreshing. Hats off to you guys (Rob and Gary) for your recommendation.

Randoms:
I noticed that Sarge's Bar suspiciously has the same wood paneling that adorned the Dino's stage set. Last show of the series, why not use some of the leftovers, eh?

The opening theme song--although not the iconic finger snapping 50's prattle we're so used to--was written by composer Bob Thompson (Picnic, Long Hot Summer) and much more indicative of the modern kind of TV theme music emerging (e.g The Fugitive, Route 66) in newer series.

Joan Staley as Stu's secretary, is once again sort of stand-offish from his leering looks and advances. Lacking the elegant beauty of Jacqueline Beer, she's still cute as all get out.

*Apologies to Paul Simon
Thanks for fulfilling your promise to watch this. I’m glad you were pleasantly surprised. I reiterate that had there been episodes beyond #20 the show would have continued to return to its glory days. Stu would have stopped at Dino’s for a drink and reunited with Roscoe, Suzanne and JR!

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Episode Commentary

Russ,

I'm happy that you took my and Gary's advice and watched this episode. I am delighted that you enjoyed it!

Stu is immediately set upon first by Uncle Charlie, then Robbie, to do a "side deal" with each--

You know, for just a second there I thought you had moved on to discussion of an episode of My Three Sons.

The acting in this episode is truly a cut above usual, due mostly to the efforts of Virginia Gregg and Ms. Engstom. Interestingly, the "bad" guys are not so bad so the story has some nuance and heart.

I quite agree. I am a big fan of Virginia Gregg, and part of the reason I like this episode is because she is finally given a substantial lead role, and she comes through magnificently. I think we can credit Webb with her having been cast, because he had used her well in Dragnet.

This is the episode where Webb, et al. showed that they had finally figured out that Stu had to be Stu, and not Philip Marlowe--something any fan of the show could have told him. Sadly, by then it was far too late.

I'm pretty sure this hasn't been mentioned in the thread, Russ, but did you know that Joan Staley was Miss November of 1958?

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Thanks for fulfilling your promise to watch this. I’m glad you were pleasantly surprised. I reiterate that had there been episodes beyond #20 the show would have continued to return to its glory days. Stu would have stopped at Dino’s for a drink and reunited with Roscoe, Suzanne and JR!

Gary,

I'm convinced that you are correct. As I mentioned to Russ above, Stu was his old self again in this episode, and it is quite easy to imagine a reunion episode, in which the jarring rift between the fifth and sixth seasons could be mended, at least somewhat.

And I believe it was you who earlier mentioned Roscoe's possibly being introduced back into the show as a recurring character. That is an inspired vision. Roscoe, at least, would not be put off by the seedy neighborhood in which Stu was now working.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks