1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Frank Soyke, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    I want everything on that table as a souvenir.

criblecoblis, Gary16 and Flashgear like this.
  2. Message #2462 of 2472 Mar 15, 2019 at 9:20 AM
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 7:05 PM
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Here's a recent blurb by Brian Conin while discussing Bill Finger's contributions to Batman, with a bit of an adjunct to 77 SS. I found it interesting due mainly to EZ's assessment of the quality of 77 SS episodes in relation to Monty Pittman:

Even without Huggins' guidance, 77 Sunset Strip was still a good show, but could have been better. Zimbalist later recalled in an interview with Sylvia Stoddard in 1997* that the show was mostly carried by the fact that there were typically only a handful of REALLY good episodes every season and those were enough to make people think that the whole show as like that. As Zimablist notes," If a show has six wonderful episodes a year, then even if the rest were mediocre to nothing, it will still succeed.
    The luster of those six could rub off on all the others. And that was what Monty [Pittman] did. It seems to me he wrote something like six a year and they were all so superlative. Roger's were too, no question about it. And those kept the quality of the show up. George Waggner wrote some wonderful scripts, too.
    All the writers at Warner Bros. had to bring in a treatment and then they'd look at it and say, "You have to do more this" and so forth--and they'd go fix the script. But Monty was the only one who would come in with a finished script. No prior treatment of any kind. He'd bring a script in and they would just do it because they knew it was marvelous."

Pittman was the man who was brought in to turn a story by Bill Finger and Charles Sinclair into a 1961 77 Sunset Strip classic, "Reserved for Mister Bailey."

*I wrote a post on some parts of this interview back in January of last year.

3. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
  4. Lutz Koch

Lutz Koch Stunt Coordinator

Lutz
    upload_2019-3-15_17-26-10.

I found this full-page magazine shot last year when my sister and I had to clean out the attic of our parents' house where it had been laying around for decades. Too bad there is no publication date anywhere to be found, but from the style of it I would guess very early 60s. It's obviously a colorized b/w picture. The caption says "star of today".
    Imagine that, finding dear old Jeff Spencer in an attic!

5. Message #2465 of 2472 Mar 15, 2019 at 6:35 PM
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 7:13 AM
    Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    I had to laugh when I saw this photo, Lutz. Roger Smith is displaying the most crazed leer I've ever seen from him.

I'm going to guess it's akin to the same expression he'd exhibit if Ann Margret sashayed into their bedroom purring "I thought I'd try on this interesting little fishnet teddy I found at Victoria's Secret..."

6. Lutz Koch

Lutz Koch Stunt Coordinator

Lutz
    :lol: I had never looked at it that way, but you're absolutely right!

7. Mysto

Mysto Supporting Actor

marv long
    Nobody looked at it that way - except Russ...
    Now we all do:rolling-smiley:

8. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    I'm more than happy to drag all of you down to my level....

9. Mysto

Mysto Supporting Actor

marv long
    Is it any different than this look?
    [​IMG]

10. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    I'm more interested in Tuesday Weld's subhead: "I Give Boys What They Want".
    I'll just bet she did.

11. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Russ, I'm glad that EZ had nice things to say about Waggner as a writer, because in his autobiography he was pointedly critical of him as a director, although he didn't mention him by name. Specifically, it was Waggner's refusal to alter a comically inapt line in S5E18 "The Night Was Six Years Long" (which coincidentally just aired last week). Both EZ and Roger Smith got a case of the giggles over the line, so bad that Smith could barely eke out the line without giggling after numerous attempts.

I've always thought this was odd, considering that Waggner was by a large margin the most prolific of the 77SS directors, with 41 episodes (Montgomery Pittman was second with 14). Waggner only wrote four episodes.

Lutz Koch, Flashgear, Gary16 and 2 others like this.
  12. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    I noticed that too, and I think it's because Smith's eyes are retouched somehow. It looks like they blanked out the whites of his eyes, and perhaps did some retouching of the irises and pupils as well.