What's new

6" forward and 5" back (1 Viewer)

brian a

Second Unit
I'm suprised that there has been as little comment on Hedwig and the Angry Inch as there has. A friend of mine at work suggested it during its theatrical run, but I didn't get a chance to see it until this week when it hit video.

I thought it was fantastic. So much so, in fact, that I went out and bought the soundtrack today and have been listening to it in my truck all day.

Is it that most folks haven't taken the time to watch it yet, or am I in the minority for finding this to be a very entertaining film? Sort of a Rocky Horror meets Europa Europa.

brianca...

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Can't say I'm into the whole transsexual thing, shrug. The movie's highly acclaimed, though.

-Tom

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Hedwig was one of my favorite films of the year. This is definitely a film that should be considered for awards, especially for John Cameron Mitchell's performance and the great soundtrack.

brian a

Second Unit
I'd have to say that you've missed out on a lot of great films if you won't watch anything that has anything to do with gender-bending.

I don't think you have to be "into" the whole transsexual thing to enjoy this film, and it seems sort of close minded to imply otherwise.

brianca...

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Maybe that explains why I can't get excited about the Star Wars films. I'm just not "into" Jedi. :laugh:
M.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Maybe that explains why I can't get excited about the Star Wars films. I'm just not "into" Jedi.
You're the man, Michael! :laugh:
I agree that you don't have to be "into" anything to enjoy these smaller films. Hedwig and the Angry Inch has one of this year's best performances by John Cameron Mitchell.
~Edwin

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
It's funny because I thought we HAD been talking about this film quite a bit.
Heck, Chimel has a Hedwig screen cap in his sig file now. :)
One of my top 10 films of the year, and I consider ENTERTAINMENT value as a key factor in chosing, not just artistic value. Hedwig is a hellava lot of fun and some great music.
I'm ready for Hedwig album #2. :)

brian a

Second Unit
I saw some talk about it in scattered threads, but only a single thread dedicated to it with only a few replies. I just wasn't sure if folks hadn't seen it or just didn't like it enought to talk about it.

brianca.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
"I was left with a one inch mound of flesh
where my penis used to be
where my vagina never was.
"
I wanted to put that in my sig, but people would most likely think I'm fruity. :)
Hedwig is in my top ten films of the year (it's at #3 so far, placed behind Memento and A.I.). The film is very entertaining and the soundtrack is great. Also, John Cameron Mitchell is amazing in his preformance of Hedwig. I'd recommend everybody to see it, even if you're not into the whole "transsexual" thing. :)
Heck, Chimel has a Hedwig screen cap in his sig file now.
Chmiel, not Chimel. :)

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Thanks for the mockery, but I find the transsexual community to just be disgusting. I'm sure it would probably be a good film, but I'd be cringing the whole way through.

-Tom

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Thanks for the mockery
I'm sorry if it came off that way, Tom. All I was trying to say, in what I thought was a humorous way, is that Hedwig is like any other well-made film -- you don't have to be close to the subject matter to enjoy an interesting story well-presented (and in this case, with a great musical score). Obviously if the subject matter of a film makes someone affirmatively uncomfortable, he should skip it.

M.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
And my point was, that if things are patently offensive to you, you tend to avoid them. Example: my mother hates violence, therefore she doesn't like to watch violent films. I am not the same way, I love action films. I can't say that I wouldn't enjoy it or that I wouldn't appreciate it as a good film, but it wouldn't be comfortable for me watching that any more than I would be watching Queer As Folk.

-Tom

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
And my point was, that if things are patently offensive to you, you tend to avoid them.
Which you're not doing. If you simply wanted to avoid the subject matter of Hedwig, you'd have closed the thread the minute you saw what it was about, and moved on.

M.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Which you're not doing. If you simply wanted to avoid the subject matter of Hedwig, you'd have closed the thread the minute you saw what it was about, and moved on.

Incorrect. I'm not here to bash the film. I am somewhat interested in what people thought of the movie, while I don't want to see it myself. In the first post, the guy asked why people had or hadn't seen it. I answered him.

-Tom

Anthony_D

Stunt Coordinator
i dont condone a homosexual lifestyle or cross-dressing, but when it comes to movies...they are art and reflect what is goin on around us...i loved this movie and

keep an open mind when it comes to movies

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Chmiel, Chmizal
Hossenpepper incorporated... :):laugh: (or whatever it was)
Sorry about that Matt. I didn't think it looked right. Should've done a search.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Incorrect. I'm not here to bash the film. I am somewhat interested in what people thought of the movie, while I don't want to see it myself. In the first post, the guy asked why people had or hadn't seen it. I answered him.
Curiouser and curiouser.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks