What's new

$500 for reciever AND speakers!!!! help :) (1 Viewer)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Frank's system would probably be my choice of all mentioned (including my own suggestion). The receiver is the most noticable step up w/ an amp section (same as THX certified 6070, minus Pre-outs and THX logo) tested by Sound and Vision to produce a TRUE 92 watts per channel w/ 6 channels driven. The weak point would probably be the sub, but that's going to be the week point in any system in this price range (i'm not trying to knock on the famouse Dayton 10" subs, just a bit of a reality check).

One great thing about Frank's reccomendation is that on down the road you could add a pair of N26's, N28's, N38's, or ND310's use the NSP1 package as center and 4 surrounds in a perfectly matched 7.1 arrangement. I personaly had N28 mains, and NSP1 set, and a Denon 1804 receiver and can attest to the great sound that can be produced by the N series speakers.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
At this price point I would consider going with a two channel system, particularly if your uncle will be using it for music. $500 will go a lot farther buying 2 speakers + reciever than buying 5 speakers + sub + reciever. And actually 2 channels can sound pretty darn good for movies too.

Mark

Chris Bates

Stunt Coordinator
I think, personally, I would get the absolute best receiver that my money will allow, and the cheapest speakers that my ears will tolerate. That way, you can easily upgrade the speakers at a later date.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If this isn't going to be something that's upgraded for awhile then Chris's approach wouldn't be the best idea. Good speakers make about 10 times more difference in sound quality than what's driving them (within reason).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks