$500 for reciever AND speakers!!!! help :)

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Anthony_Gomez, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Ok, my uncle has a HARD limit of $500 (he'd like to spend as little as he has too if you know what I mean..so $500 is bleeding his wallet).

I'd build him something (speakers), but I just don't have the time anymore.

He wants them on the small size (Energy Take 5's are acceptable in terms of size).

Being able to buy at a B&M is a plus, but I don't think it is a requirement.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

PLEASE DO NOT suggest saving up more money for "X" package. $500 including tax and shipping (if applicable) is a HARD limit.

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Acoustic Research HC6, 5.1 speaker package can be found online for just a little over $300. this leaves a little under $200 for a receiver. There are a number that can be found in this price range.

3. Kenny_H

Kenny_H Stunt Coordinator

For what it's worth, a few more details would help. Such as: do you just want a pair or a complate 5.1 speakers system & a reciever, or do you want a complete Home Theater in a Box system, room size, etc??? If it's a HTB system, check out the SAMSUNG HT-DB600 system (www.samsungusa.com slim line, 5-disc DVD/CD/CD-R/RW, JPEG, progressive scan,reciever w/ component out, DPLII)all for ($299.00)! Playing back CHICAGO in DTS & LOTRII in DD didn't sound bad! I know, not an Energy system, but, my 2cents worth.

4. My uncle already has a DVD player so that isn't a problem. HTIAB or separates is fine.
    He is looking for a 5.1 system. The room is about 14x20 if my memery serves me right. They will not be cranking it like I will with my system.

I know there are many options so that is why I am trying to draw on the experience of others on which ones to look at (and conversely, stay away from). In this budget category, I'm sure you can find as much good stuff as garbage.

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Denon 483 receiver (same as the 1403) receiver brand new from Denon-authorized dealer 6th Ave Electronics $150.00 including shipping.

Add the AR HC6 speaker system and you wil have an excellent sounding system. And under $500.00.

I really should work for "Trading Spaces".

6. Bill_Wil

Bill_Wil Stunt Coordinator

7. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Skip all the HTiB stuff and go with what Lew and Danny suggested. The HC6 alone is worth more than the $500 HTiB systems. The sound and build quality of the HC6 speakers vs. HTiB speakers is not even a fair comparison.

8. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Considering the hard $$ budget and the fact they will not be playing it a ear bleeding levels, Danny has got the right rig I belive.

I've listened to the exact set up Danny mentions and was floored at how good it actualy sounded. In that size room at lower to med volumes, it should make them very happy in all respects.

Very nice set up, and makes the budget to boot.

May be other stuff (speakers/receivers/or package deals) out their to look into, but these products are certainly proven performers that can be had cheap, perform great, and are attractive to boot...

Regards
    Geoff

9. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

check out fluance.com for speakers. they have a complete system with 2 towers, 2 bookshelf and a center for 199. they sound great for the money, and then take the other money, go on ebay, pull off a 5 channel pioneer vsx receiver and you have a great system. don't let the price fool you, the fluance speakers are darn good speakers for sound and value....

10. THanks! I'll be looking into those.

11. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

you wont be sorry. the sx htb is the better sounding system but the 199 system is pretty good too. you wont be sorry...

12. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

I'm selling a nice little set of Velodyne CHT. There's a nice review in the listing. I could maybe go a bit lower to to give you some more room for the receiver and a cheap sub.

13. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I second the AR HC6 speaker set, very good for the money.

Another suggestion could be to get

JBL NSP1II 5-Piece Home-Cinema Speaker Package $209
    Sony SA-WM500 150 Watt Active Subwoofer $135

And for the reciever, you could check,
    Panasonic SA-HE100K Home Theater Receiver $220
    Pioneer VSX-D812K A/V Receiver $230
    Pioneer VSX-D712K Audio/Video Receiver $175

Plus shipping, I know you said you needed inside $500 range with shipping, but this extra bucks will give you a big improvement oven any HTiB or even the HC6, but this is only my opinion.

And if you decide to go with a HTiB, check
    Kenwood HTB-505 $399
    Kenwood HTB-506 $499
    Onkyo HT-S760 $499

Good luck with your choice.
    Pablo

14. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

15. Joseph R. Zodda

Joseph R. Zodda Auditioning

I recommend the Fluance Speakers also. They sound great and are very reaonably priced. I have them paired with a Kenwood VR-6060 receiver from ecost for $99..its a refurb but works like a charm. (The Denon mentioned is nice also. If you add the nice Dayton Sub that has been mentioned in this thread you have a nice system for under $500

16. Chris Bates

Chris Bates Stunt Coordinator

Where did you see $15 for shipping?......The page I looked at said $101.00....OUCH!

17. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

I got the system for your uncle! It's actually the exact system I'm recommending my friend to get.

JBL NSP1 II
    $180 from buy.com

Dayton 100w 10" powered sub
    $125 from partsexpress.com

Onkyo TSXR500 Factory Renewed (this does include 1 yr warranty)
    $150 from onecall.com

$455 plus shipping and maybe tax from some of those places.

Or go with the Denon receiver that Danny Tse recommended if you don't want factory renewed.

18. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Hmm, they had shipping listed as $15 when i first posted, no clue why it jumped up to $101. Give J&R a call and see if they have any un-advertised promotions on shipping or if there's any way that can get the shipping cost down to something reasonable.

19. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

I like Richard H recommendation the best.

JBL NSP1 II
    $180 from buy.com

Dayton 100w 10" powered sub
    $125 from partsexpress.com

In addition to the Onkyo TXSR500 or Denon 483 you can also look at the HK AVR 125 for $180 factory renewed from an authorized retailer.

Total $485 plus shipping.

or if you want to go HTIB the Onkyo 660 is $400 including shipping here

20. DavidLM

DavidLM Agent

Here's the Onkyo HT-S760 refurbished for $299 + $15 shipping. For $300 you could put some money elsewhere, such as DVDs, a rack, cables, beer, etc.

Wow thats a great deal. 1 year warranty too.