What's new

5 Westerns you'd like to see on blu (1 Viewer)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by benbess /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MLamarre: DeMille!! Like Heaven's Gate it's an acquired or at least a strange taste--but I'm with ya buddy! My favorite is The Plainsman. That's a highly entertaining film. Boris Karloff as the Indian chief, right? Good stuff. Union Pacific has several good moments, but also has even more problems than your average Western in terms of how it deals with Native Americans. Don't think I've ever seen more than a few minutes of NW Mounted. That was in technicolor, wasn't it? I have seen his film after that, Reap the Wild Wind--a non-Western with Wayne--and that's some fun hokum.
You're thinking of the "Unconquered" not the "Plainsmen" with Boris Karloff. The "Plainsmen" is a Hickok, Buffalo Bill, and Calamity Jane movie. I'm a Stanwyck fan so I prefer "Union Pacific" and then "Plainsmen" and could go without the "Unconquered". Personally, I had a difficult time with Boris Karloff in the role and that ruined the film for me.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Not that I disapprove of the others on that list, but I'm particularly interested in seconding these titles for requests:
Originally Posted by PaulaJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Gunfighter
The complete Ford Cavalry trilogy, not just She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
The Big Trail
All the Anthony Mann-James Stewart westerns
Broken Arrow

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Hi Ben,

"Duck You Sucker", also known as "A Fistful Of Dynamite", was the last fully fledged western directed by Sergio Leone - for me, although it does not attain the heights of his other westerns, it nevertheless has all the same touches that make them so enjoyable.

"Junior Bonner" may not really classify as a western depending upon your point of view ("Hud" is another wonderful example) but it is a Sam Peckinpah movie - it is a "modern day" telling of a once famous but still respected rodeo star's (Steve McQueen) return and re-connection to his family roots with all the drama that follows.

"A Bullet For The General" - is one of the more famous spaghetti westerns set in the Mexican Revolution aka Zapata Westerns (as is "Duck You Sucker") and tells the story of a revolutionary/bandit (Gian Maria Volonte) who is helped by a mysterious American in his bid to increase "his lot in life" but all is not what it seems. It has all the hallmarks of the "better spaghetti westerns" so I would have enjoyed anyway but what made it extra poignant for me was that it was only a few days earlier that I had seen a documentary about the tragic events surrounding the assassination of President Kennedy - the viciousness/tragedy of that simply struck home even more.

Eric - I agree with your gravy remark re "Once Upon A Time In The West" even though I occasionally sway to either "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" or "The Wild Bunch" !

Regards,

Interesting article. Thanks. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it seems like the color separations have survived pretty well--and thank goodness for that--but maybe it's how these bw materials are interpreted and converted to color that's the issue....? Don't know, just asking...
One problem is the separations were optically printed instead of contact printed. This is not how it's normally done...plus they were done two years later. If the separations were just how they should be, there wouldn't be the funkly skintones we are talking about here. Like the guy said in the article, maybe with future technical advances, they will be able to digitally restore the color layers from the original camera negative. It's a shame about the color (even though it isn't horrible or anything), because many shots are as striking as anything on Blu-ray.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by smithb /forum/thread/300270/5-westerns-you-d-like-to-see-on-blu/30#post_3687461
You're thinking of the "Unconquered" not the "Plainsmen" with Boris Karloff. The "Plainsmen" is a Hickok, Buffalo Bill, and Calamity Jane movie. I'm a Stanwyck fan so I prefer "Union Pacific" and then "Plainsmen" and could go without the "Unconquered". Personally, I had a difficult time with Boris Karloff in the role and that ruined the film for me.
smithb: I'm completely with you in being a Barbara Stanwyck fan. +++
She's quite good in that late 60s TV Western The Big Valley. I know it'll never happen, but I think that show would look great on blu...I don't think they even put out all of the seasons on DVD. Lack of sales, I guess...
Never saw Cattle Queen of Montana, but I always thought it looked like fun. Probably not blu worthy, but who knows...

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by benbess /forum/thread/300270/5-westerns-you-d-like-to-see-on-blu/30#post_3687629
smithb: I'm completely with you in being a Barbara Stanwyck fan. +++
She's quite good in that late 60s TV Western The Big Valley. I know it'll never happen, but I think that show would look great on blu...I don't think they even put out all of the seasons on DVD. Lack of sales, I guess...
Never saw Cattle Queen of Montana, but I always thought it looked like fun. Probably not blu worthy, but who knows...
Some are hoping that a Big Valley movie might spark enough interest to finish releasing the TV series to DVD. I must have about 20+ of her films. I haven't watched "Cattle Queen of Montana" yet other then to note the DVD release is weak quality wise. But hey, its got Ronald Reagan in it.
I would also recommend the Barbara Stanwyck show that was on one year in the early sixties. The first volume came out last year and volume 2 is to be released in May. Highly recommended. She has so many good flicks. As mentioned in this thread "The Furies" stars Miss Stanwyck.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson /forum/thread/300270/5-westerns-you-d-like-to-see-on-blu/30#post_3687447
It's all about "Once Upon a Time in the West" for me. Everything after that is gravy, but I would like to see the following:
Shane
The Big Country
One-Eyed Jacks
High Plains Drifter
Eric: Nice list. Once Upon A Time in the West seems to be close to a consensus pick...

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by PaulaJ /forum/thread/300270/5-westerns-you-d-like-to-see-on-blu/30#post_3687457
In addition to everything already suggested (especially Shane), how about:
Blood on the Moon (cinematography by Nicholas Musuraca)
The Gunfighter
The complete Ford Cavalry trilogy, not just She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
The Tollgate (or another William S. Hart western)
The Iron Horse
The Big Trail
All the Anthony Mann-James Stewart westerns
A John Payne western -- Silver Lode or Rebel in Town. Even better, how about both of them? :)
True Grit
Broken Arrow
The Long Riders
The Misfits
Shanghai Noon
How about one or some of Errol Flynn's westerns?
I saw the new print of Jubal at the TCM Classic Film Fest and it looks great now. I'd love to see it on Blu-ray.
Restoration and remastering of the Roy Rogers movies and then release on BD. The Golden Stallion on Blu-ray...
If it counts as a modern-day western, The Last Picture Show.
and... The Oklahoma Kid. ;) OK, just kidding about that one. :)
PaulaJ: Wow. Excellent list here. The Big Trail looks surprisingly good today--both in term of pq (on Netflix instant watch) and in terms of still being a good Western. That 70mm Grandeur process was pretty impressive.
The Iron Horse....Is that an early Ford picture? I'm just started reading what seems to be an excellent biography of Ford called Searching for John Ford by Joseph McBride. It's clearly a labor of love--and he actually knew Ford. It's very long--800 pages--but seems to be very well written.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by SAhmed /forum/thread/300270/5-westerns-you-d-like-to-see-on-blu/30#post_3687469
Hi Ben,
"Duck You Sucker", also known as "A Fistful Of Dynamite", was the last fully fledged western directed by Sergio Leone - for me, although it does not attain the heights of his other westerns, it nevertheless has all the same touches that make them so enjoyable.
"Junior Bonner" may not really classify as a western depending upon your point of view ("Hud" is another wonderful example) but it is a Sam Peckinpah movie /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif - it is a "modern day" telling of a once famous but still respected rodeo star's (Steve McQueen) return and re-connection to his family roots with all the drama that follows.
"A Bullet For The General" - is one of the more famous spaghetti westerns set in the Mexican Revolution aka Zapata Westerns (as is "Duck You Sucker") and tells the story of a revolutionary/bandit (Gian Maria Volonte) who is helped by a mysterious American in his bid to increase "his lot in life" but all is not what it seems. It has all the hallmarks of the "better spaghetti westerns" so I would have enjoyed anyway but what made it extra poignant for me was that it was only a few days earlier that I had seen a documentary about the tragic events surrounding the assassination of President Kennedy - the viciousness/tragedy of that simply struck home even more.
Eric - I agree with your gravy remark re "Once Upon A Time In The West" even though I occasionally sway to either "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" or "The Wild Bunch" !
Regards,
Hi SAhmed: Thanks for this well written essay. Makes me want to see these films!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by John Hermes /forum/thread/300270/5-westerns-you-d-like-to-see-on-blu/30#post_3687493
One problem is the separations were optically printed instead of contact printed. This is not how it's normally done...plus they were done two years later. If the separations were just how they should be, there wouldn't be the funkly skintones we are talking about here. Like the guy said in the article, maybe with future technical advances, they will be able to digitally restore the color layers from the original camera negative. It's a shame about the color (even though it isn't horrible or anything), because many shots are as striking as anything on Blu-ray.
I don't fully understand this, but still it's fascinating to me. Why was the safety made two years after the film? Seems quite random. Although given how studios treated their films at the time it's amazing that seps were made at all...

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by smithb /forum/thread/300270/5-westerns-you-d-like-to-see-on-blu/30#post_3687671
Some are hoping that a Big Valley movie might spark enough interest to finish releasing the TV series to DVD. I must have about 20+ of her films. I haven't watched "Cattle Queen of Montana" yet other then to note the DVD release is weak quality wise. But hey, its got Ronald Reagan in it.
I would also recommend the Barbara Stanwyck show that was on one year in the early sixties. The first volume came out last year and volume 2 is to be released in May. Highly recommended. She has so many good flicks. As mentioned in this thread "The Furies" stars Miss Stanwyck.
Is there going to be a Big Valley movie?? Hadn't heard that. Is it just talk, or are they actually in pre-production? Who is playing the matriarch? Hard for anyone to equal Stanwyck. Is it possible to post pictures here? If you're a big fan, maybe you have pix or screen captures from some of the films from the 30s you could post...?

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
PaulaJ: Wow. Excellent list here. The Big Trail looks surprisingly good today--both in term of pq (on Netflix instant watch) and in terms of still being a good Western. That 70mm Grandeur process was pretty impressive.
The Iron Horse....Is that an early Ford picture? I'm just started reading what seems to be an excellent biography of Ford called Searching for John Ford by Joseph McBride. It's clearly a labor of love--and he actually knew Ford. It's very long--800 pages--but seems to be very well written.
Ben --
I have The Big Trail on DVD but just last week I saw it in a theater during the TCM Classic Film Fest, and it's a stunner on the big screen. That Grandeur process is really impressive. And, er, hubba hubba also about John Wayne, age 22. :) It's too bad that Grandeur wasn't able to catch on but 1930 was not a good time to introduce a second whole new technology after the conversion to talkies since the Depression had just hit.
The Iron Horse is indeed an early (though far from the earliest) John Ford picture. It's a 1924 silent, another epic western, about the construction and completion of the intercontinental railroad. The combination of history lesson (Abraham Lincoln is a character), depiction of the physical struggle through plains and mountains to build the railroad, a couple of really nasty villains, Indian attacks, and an obstacle-filled romance between childhood sweethearts George O'Brien (who is also out to revenge his father's murder) and lovely Madge Bellamy proved to be a winning formula and it was a big hit. It made O'Brien an instant star and he became one of Ford's favorite leading men during his silent era. It's on DVD, either in the massive Ford at Fox box or in the smaller Ford at Fox: The Silent Epics package, and it looks great -- but it would look even more great on Blu-ray. :)

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Benbes:
The short version is worth watching as a curiosity only. The long version is the preferred way to watch the film in every way. From what I gather, after the film was recut to the short version, the negative trims were later tossed out. In the early 2000s, film restorer John Kirk did a restoration of HEAVEN'S GATE and reported at the time that he was forced to use "various dupes" of the additional footage from the long cut in reconstructing the film into a newly printable version. I don't know exactly what "dupes" he had access to, but video versions of the long cut have always been transferred from 35mm prints (oblong reel-change markers visible and all) as opposed to a pre-print element like an InterPositive.
Vincent
Originally Posted by benbess /forum/thread/300270/5-westerns-you-d-like-to-see-on-blu/30#post_3687417
Vincent: Interesting. So both versions are worth watching, in other words. I somehow thought that the short cut was mostly done by the studio, but obviously I'm wrong about that. Do you know if good negatives or separations exist for both versions? But mgm, which just imploded, probably owns the rights, and so the odds for a blu--never good to begin with--just got worse.
From that documentary Final Cut I have to say that the critics were really quite cruel to this film. Sure it has flaws, but it's ambitious and in parts quite beautiful and then brutal, and has a take on Western history that's not often seen.
Nice facebook page!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Vincent wrote: " From what I gather, after the film was recut to the short version, the negative trims were later tossed out. "

Arrrgh! In 1980 they were still doing that kind of thing....Surely Cimino tried to stop them? Or at that point was he too stunned and depressed?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by PaulaJ /forum/thread/300270/5-westerns-you-d-like-to-see-on-blu/30#post_3687700
Ben --
I have The Big Trail on DVD but just last week I saw it in a theater during the TCM Classic Film Fest, and it's a stunner on the big screen. That Grandeur process is really impressive. And, er, hubba hubba also about John Wayne, age 22. :) It's too bad that Grandeur wasn't able to catch on but 1930 was not a good time to introduce a second whole new technology after the conversion to talkies since the Depression had just hit.
The Iron Horse is indeed an early (though far from the earliest) John Ford picture. It's a 1924 silent, another epic western, about the construction and completion of the intercontinental railroad. The combination of history lesson (Abraham Lincoln is a character), depiction of the physical struggle through plains and mountains to build the railroad, a couple of really nasty villains, Indian attacks, and an obstacle-filled romance between childhood sweethearts George O'Brien (who is also out to revenge his father's murder) and lovely Madge Bellamy proved to be a winning formula and it was a big hit. It made O'Brien an instant star and he became one of Ford's favorite leading men during his silent era. It's on DVD, either in the massive Ford at Fox box or in the smaller Ford at Fox: The Silent Epics package, and it looks great -- but it would look even more great on Blu-ray. :)
Wow. It was in the festival. Must have been a stunner. Wayne was quite the handsome young-un, wasn't he?
I've also heard that 3 Bad Men is a good early Ford Western. Are there other silent Westerns that might be worthy of a blu?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by benbess /forum/thread/300270/5-westerns-you-d-like-to-see-on-blu/30#post_3687763
Vincent wrote: " From what I gather, after the film was recut to the short version, the negative trims were later tossed out. "
Arrrgh! In 1980 they were still doing that kind of thing....Surely Cimino tried to stop them? Or at that point was he to stunned and depressed?
Heavens Gate was the film that nearly bankrupted United Artists and eventually lead to them being bought by MGM. I don't think the studio heads much cared what Ciminio thought at that point.
Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Richard--W /forum/thread/300270/5-westerns-you-d-like-to-see-on-blu#post_3687289
One of the things I love most about Anthony Mann's westerns is that he shot them in the National Parks in the ultra-high resolution of dye-transfer color. Not only is the scenery spectacular and way western, but the cinematography is technically correct. This is what western landscapes and western portraiture should look like. What I love most about Budd Boetticher's westerns with Randolph Scott is that he shot them in Lone Pine in dye-transfer color and ... wait, I said that already. Quick, put all the 1950s location westerns that were shot in dye-transfer color onto Blu-Ray, and source them from photochemical restorations rather than from digital intermediates. 1950s westerns were made for Blu-Ray.
The Boetticher/Scott westerns were all shot on Eastman color film as were most of the Mann films. Some, though I don't think all, were printed by Technicolor in the dye transfer process, but you don't actually shoot that way. If these films are being restored, then they are likely going back to the Eastman negative, which is pre-dye transfer in the production process. They may attempt to emulate the Technicolor look, but it wouldn't actually be a dye transfer print that the blu-ray would come from.
Doug

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by PaulaJ /forum/thread/300270/5-westerns-you-d-like-to-see-on-blu/30#post_3687700
Ben --
Paula J: Thanks for that nice review of the Iron Horse. Sounds like a good flick.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce /forum/thread/300270/5-westerns-you-d-like-to-see-on-blu/30#post_3687772
The Boetticher/Scott westerns were all shot on Eastman color film as were most of the Mann films. Some, though I don't think all, were printed by Technicolor in the dye transfer process, but you don't actually shoot that way. If these films are being restored, then they are likely going back to the Eastman negative, which is pre-dye transfer in the production process. They may attempt to emulate the Technicolor look, but it wouldn't actually be a dye transfer print that the blu-ray would come from.
Doug
Doug: Isn't it likely that the negatives for these films are faded too and and not that good looking at this point? Do you know if there are separation masters for these films? Or is the existence and survival of the seps for The Searchers a fluke?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce /forum/thread/300270/5-westerns-you-d-like-to-see-on-blu/30#post_3687770
Heavens Gate was the film that nearly bankrupted United Artists and eventually lead to them being bought by MGM. I don't think the studio heads much cared what Ciminio thought at that point.
Doug
Yeah, you've got a good point. But they didn't have to throw the bloody things away. Why not just put them on a shelf. They cost $40 million after all--which would be more like $100 million today...If my operation had paid for something like that, even if it was a colossal failure, I wouldn't put it in the trash...I would curse, sure, but I'd put in on the shelf...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks