What's new

5 Movies You'll NEVER Watch Again... (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
None, I didn't have the heart to say 100%.

The thing with your picks is that your specified you didn't like movies in which Rob Schneider or Martin Short starred, which I inferred to mean "played the lead".

Of which there aren't many movies, as both were usually supporting actors.

In terms of Schneider's starring roles, "Benchwarmers" was moderately entertaining. Didn't like any of his others, though he's been in some decent Sandler movies as a supporting actor.

As for Martin Short, he starred in "Innerspace", and that one's enjoyable.

Can't think of other Short starring roles that I liked, but again, he didn't have many.

He's usually solid as support.

And he was on "SCTV", which means no one is allowed to criticize him! :D

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And just what is your point? Criticizing people who don't agree with your viewpoint is what you seem to be famous for.!
My only point my friend is that most of the choices in this thread are merely films people hate. That’s all. Cheers. :)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The Lost City of Zzzzzz - deserves a comment on its own!

I thought that was a really good movie!

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I'm glad you enjoyed it Colin but for anyone else who hasn't seen it, here is my synopsis:
Man goes into jungle and comes out
He goes into jungle and comes out (again)
...repeat several times
He goes into jungle with son and doesn't come out
His wife goes into jungle to look for them.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad you enjoyed it Colin but for anyone else who hasn't seen it, here is my synopsis:
Man goes into jungle and comes out
He goes into jungle and comes out (again)
...repeat several times
He goes into jungle with son and doesn't come out
His wife goes into jungle to look for them.

I guess you subscribe to the "Clerks II" view of "Lord of the Rings" as 9 hours of dudes walking! ;)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I’m afraid I second that viewpoint - whole lotta traipsing this-a-way and that-a-way, leading to the final installment which ends, then ends again, and finally ends to everyone’s exhausted relief.

Seems like plenty of movies can be reduced to basic narratives.

I mean, "Wizard of Oz" isn't much different than "LOTR" in that regard, is it?

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I guess you subscribe to the "Clerks II" view of "Lord of the Rings" as 9 hours of dudes walking! ;)
Sorry to say this, but I do! My wife and I watched the first theatrically, the second on DVD (this is where we gave up). Obviously didn't start The Hobbit (which is a wonderful short book, but 9 hours of film time, really!). In a perfect world, The Hobbit would be one film, and the three LOTR books would be two films, making a trilogy of the saga.

Edit: you can add these films to my list.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Seems like plenty of movies can be reduced to basic narratives.

I mean, "Wizard of Oz" isn't much different than "LOTR" in that regard, is it?

Except they didn't make us sit on our keisters for 9-10 hours of that, LOL... ;):laugh::laugh::laugh:

Wonder what the complainers think of the LotR books themselves if they feel that way about those PJ movies, haha...

I don't completely disagree w/ some of those complaints though... at least for Return of the King, especially the extended version, anyway, which is (partly) why I actually own the separate theatrical BD of RotK to go w/ the extended edition boxset...

Part of me laments the alterations (mostly in terms of themes and focus) away from the books, but then, there likely would be more of those (meandering-feeling) things for people (maybe even me) to complain about if they stayed more faithful to the books, haha...

OTOH, I definitely feel like they changed too much for the new Amazon prequel series, particularly re: Galadriel's characterization (that they basically augmented waaay beyond how IMO she should reasonably be depicted, etc so far) -- not nearly as bad as what was done w/ The Hobbit films of course, but still...

_Man_

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Except they didn't make us sit on our keisters for 9-10 hours of that, LOL... ;):laugh::laugh::laugh:

Wonder what the complainers think of the LotR books themselves if they feel that way about those PJ movies, haha...

Well, I couldn't finish the books, to be honest. I stopped in the middle of The Two Towers. Coincidentally, right about the point where Ralph Bakshi's animated film ended.

The only complaint I really had about The Return of the King was its seemingly endless string of endings.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Well, I couldn't finish the books, to be honest. I stopped in the middle of The Two Towers. Coincidentally, right about the point where Ralph Bakshi's animated film ended.

The only complaint I really had about The Return of the King was its seemingly endless string of endings.

Which came from the book, of course.

I don't view that as an "excuse". A movie adapts a book and doesn't have to do so with utter fidelity.

I think PJ shoulda cut out some of the 184 endings.

But no one can claim he invented those 184 endings... and undoubtedly a buncha Tolkien fans woulda groaned if he left out any of them.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Which came from the book, of course.

I don't view that as an "excuse". A movie adapts a book and doesn't have to do so with utter fidelity.

I think PJ shoulda cut out some of the 184 endings.

But no one can claim he invented those 184 endings... and undoubtedly a buncha Tolkien fans woulda groaned if he left out any of them.

Yeah... personally, I feel like much of those extended endings could be put into epilogue-style, end-credits scenes like is now regularly done for MCU movies (as they basically play that way anyway), especially given how super long the end credits run on RotK:EE. And yet, despite what/all they included, people who never actually read Tolkien would still be clueless where the narrative actually leads all those characters since there's almost nothing explained in the movies about where they were actually going (out to the West) and (quite) why... nor that Sam actually ends up being the last one to go as well (that they probably woulda needed yet another added scene... or at least some additional narration/explanation... if they wanted that, LOL)... nor why/how Arwen (and all half-elven like her and Elrond) had her extremely vague choice (to become mortal) to stay w/ Aragorn, etc...

For me, I just felt like I didn't need/want (quite all) the extra scenes/moments added back into the EE for Frodo and Sam meandering about in Mordor nor the suspense-killing scene they added showing what happened to Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas facing the Army of the Dead before they showed up at the Battle/Siege of Minas Tirith -- worked much better to not know, except perhaps as flashback or a brief verbal retelling/explanation I suppose, in order to retain the suspense (as much as possible)...

_Man_

PS: FWIW, interestingly, even the new Amazon prequel series has not explained anything about the half-elven choice to either stay immortal/elven or become mortal-if-long-lived/men so far in the 1st season. Actually, I don't even remember if they made clear that Elrond is half-elven...

Last edited:

Suzanne.S

Second Unit
Real Name
Suzanne
I just thought of another movie that I will most likely never watch again - The Green Mile.

Michael Clarke Duncan tore my heart out in that film. It put me through the emotional ringer and as wonderful as it was, I am not sure that I could ever go through it again.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I just thought of another movie that I will most likely never watch again - The Green Mile.

Michael Clarke Duncan tore my heart out in that film. It put me through the emotional ringer and as wonderful as it was, I am not sure that I could ever go through it again.

When I saw "Green Mile" theatrically in 1999, I witnessed the most extreme emotional reaction to a movie I'd ever seen - and it still hasn't been "topped".

During the scene where
Michael Jeter literally fries
, a woman in the theater completely lost it. She cried and screamed and wailed as though the scene was happening for real five feet from her.

I think she needed to be taken out of the auditorium because she was so hysterical!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks