What's new

5 Movies You'll NEVER Watch Again... (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Gosh, I thought I was the only person who loathed "Sylvia Scarlet" (1935).

Easily my least-favorite film from the 1930s. And dang, I love almost every movie from the 1930s! From creaky early musicals to the cheapest of B-westerns. But "Sylvia Scarlett?" Irritating, indigestible film.
Redeemed by Cary Grant in my opinion.

Last night I had a second viewing of The General's Daughter and this is another film I'll never watch again. I'm giving the Blu-ray disc away.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I've seen just one Transformers picture, and one F&F. In both instances, they turned out to be side movies to the franchise. In the former case, it was Bumblebee, which I hadn't known was part of the Transformers universe until I watched it. I neither liked nor disliked it. In the latter case, it was Hobbs & Shaw, which I watched after learning that it was directed by David Leitch, whose other films -- John Wick, Atomic Blonde, Deadpool 2, and Bullet Train -- I loved. It wasn't nearly as good as those other films of his, but it had its moments.

In general, I'm with you. I triage films and pass on the ones that don't look that interesting to me. I have no FOMO in this regard.

Yes, I basically go by is there something that interests me and draws me in to watching a picture. With the franchise stuff there mostly is not. I mean when I see one, I appreciate things about it. All the effort that goes into creating them visually does fascinate me and I like looking at them. I'm still kind of a story guy though and what I want most of the time is a good story interestingly told. In most cases with the big franchise stuff it is usually a lousy story, poorly told, but looking quite beautiful. Just looking beautiful is not enough to hold me there though. So, I just take a pass on the vast majority of it.

I actually did not really care for the first Wick film until I saw the sequel and loved that. I have really enjoyed the Wick sequels and through those and listening to the director talk about what he was doing, have come to like the first Wick film. I also really enjoyed Bullet Train, have not seen Atomic Blonde or Deadpool (either of them), but now I may watch the Hobbs & Shaw film at some point.

I love movies and so want to spend time watching ones I really like. So, I guess in the same way that people that love franchise films because they deliver what they liked in a previous one, I also chose to watch pictures that are not franchises because I am looking for something I hopefully have not experienced before. It's really the same way of selecting films to watch just with a slightly different criteria.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So many, including:
The Final Programme (1973) is the worst film I have seen.
Bewitched (2005)
Joker (2019)
The Deer Hunter (1978)
Avatar (2009) - only lasted 30 minutes.

One really fun thing about these lists is what turns up on them. The Final Programme is a fairly obscure picture, I think, so kind of fun that it turns up on your list. I've seen it, it is an odd piece of work that feels like it is influenced a lot by A Clockwork Orange but done in a sort of 1970s TV series way. Certainly not a good film, I kind of enjoyed for the fact that it is working overtime trying to express some weird ideas and it is very much of its time.

I also have not seem much more than 30 minutes of Avatar, which I watched on TV one day and not in 3D. A guy I know who loves it says I have never seen any of it because the only way to experience that film is on a huge screen, in a theater, and in 3D. Take those things away and he says it is nowhere near the same film.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
So many, including:
The Final Programme (1973) is the worst film I have seen.
Bewitched (2005)
Joker (2019)
The Deer Hunter (1978)
Avatar (2009) - only lasted 30 minutes.
Avatar is one of my first BluRay purchases- I figure it would be a good demonstration of what improvements BluRay has over DVD. I watched 45-50 minutes, then gave up- couldn’t hold my interest. Don’t know if I’ll ever give it another try.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I actually did not really care for the first Wick film until I saw the sequel and loved that. I have really enjoyed the Wick sequels and through those and listening to the director talk about what he was doing, have come to like the first Wick film. I also really enjoyed Bullet Train, have not seen Atomic Blonde or Deadpool (either of them), but now I may watch the Hobbs & Shaw film at some point.

Atomic Blonde is unexpected. Technically, it's a comic book film, as it was adapted from a graphic novel. But it's actually a cold-war thriller / action movie.

I also have not seem much more than 30 minutes of Avatar, which I watched on TV one day and not in 3D. A guy I know who loves it says I have never seen any of it because the only way to experience that film is on a huge screen, in a theater, and in 3D. Take those things away and he says it is nowhere near the same film.

There's a lot to be said about that. I've known plenty of people who never understood what the fuss was about 2001: A Space Odyssey until it came out that they watched it on TV in pan-&-scan. When they finally saw it on a big screen (or a larger, widescreen TV) it changed their perspective of it.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
So, the question was, movies you will not watch again, you watch every Martin Short and Scheider picture? That seems an easy way to know not to watch those pictures, as you don't like the actors. I would think those would be pictures you would never watch.

I don't watch a lot of films. I have never seen a Transformers picture, a Fast & Furious film, a lot of the super hero movies of the last couple decades, so they would not make it onto my list because I have never seen them. If I know something probably won't be to my liking I just skip it and watch something I have an interest in.

I'm just curious to know what 5% of Martin Short and Rob Schneider-starring movies he DID like!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

There's a lot to be said about that. I've known plenty of people who never understood what the fuss was about 2001: A Space Odyssey until it came out that they watched it on TV in pan-&-scan. When they finally saw it on a big screen (or a larger, widescreen TV) it changed their perspective of it.

Highly doubt that would be the case for him w/ Avatar though -- the 3D and larger screen may amplify what one already likes/enjoys about it, but highly doubt it'd really change minds overall quite that much (as it's really not that kind of film). OTOH, that was more or less the case for me w/ 2001... when I finally gave it another try in the revival run a few years ago (in giant IMAX at the AMC Lincoln Square in NYC) -- before that point, the largest FOV I had seen it was on a decent size (61") HD RPTV at home (from 9-10ft away), but now, I have a good size FP setup that's probably more suitable (for me anyway) for something like this...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Not sure about 5 (and the exact criteria), but off the top of my head, I don't really see myself revisiting The Road (2009) ever again amongst films that I might consider admirable (enough), but likely do not desire to revisit ever again (vs movies I simply hate or consider to be so bad as to not waste time on ever again)...

Others might feel similarly about Schindler's List (as that's certainly been mentioned), but I do not in that particular case... even though I don't expect/plan to revisit it anytime soon (or all that many times ever again)...

_Man_

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I try not to watch films I think I'm unlikely to enjoy, so most of those named above I have never seen at all.

However, I have seen some films where once was too many times, that I won't watch again.

1) Free Willy
2) Armegeddon
3) Mission: Impossible (1996)
4) Avatar
5) Shazam!

There are surely many more that I've thankfully forgotten.
---------------

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Not sure about 5 (and the exact criteria), but off the top of my head, I don't really see myself revisiting The Road (2009) ever again amongst films that I might consider admirable (enough), but likely do not desire to revisit ever again (vs movies I simply hate or consider to be so bad as to not waste time on ever again)...

Others might feel similarly about Schindler's List (as that's certainly been mentioned), but I do not in that particular case... even though I don't expect/plan to revisit it anytime soon (or all that many times ever again)...

_Man_
I've watched The Road a couple of times but I can see why you might not want to revisit it. The film is really faithful to the (great) book, and very well cast. It's an unusual film as it is only one act, there isn't a beginning and an incomplete ending. I felt very emotional when watching it for the first time, having a young son (a gun with one or two bullets).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
There have always been movies that I didn’t like and which I’d have no reason to revisit. Among those I’ve often said are in my worst of all time list: City Of Angels, Mission Impossible 2, and Armageddon. But in the last few years, I’ve decided that there are plenty of franchise films that I never need to see again- films that were disappointing installments to a series I may have enjoyed at some point and which I only revisited on DVD or Blu-ray because they were part of a set.
So, in the category of franchise films I never need to rewatch (in no particular order): Superman III, Superman IV, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, Star Trek Nemesis, Star Trek Into Darkness, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, Alien Covenant, Terminator 3, The World is Not Enough, Die Another Day.
Also, I‘ve found that there are some film makers whose work, for whatever reason, doesn’t work for me. That’s not to say there isn’t merit in their work, but it’s just not for me. Therefore, I see no reason to see any more of their films or revisit films of theirs that I have seen: Paul Verhoeven, John Logan, Alexander Payne, Joel Schumacher, and others that I can’t think of in the moment. Obviously, YMMV.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
Interesting thread idea. There are movies I didn't particularly like such as Citizen Kane and Avatar that I've at least kicked around the idea of watching again. But as to films that I'm just done with, well:

Joker--yeah, it's technically a good movie but I never need to see it again and I'm not so sure I'll bother with the sequel. Far too much of a downer for me, and I'm the guy who loves Film Noir.

Snoopy Come Home--the last time I watched this was right after my brother went into hospice. It's a shockingly sad film and left me in tears, especially the song Everything Changes. I love the Peanuts gang but this one is a hard no for me.

2001: A Space Odyssey--I've tried a few times but this movie just bores me.

Munich--Everyone picks on Schindler's LIst, but this is the Spielberg movie I can most do without rewatching. At least SL has Liam Neeson, who brings some personality to the movie.

Flesh For Frankenstein--the 3DFA and Vinegar Syndrome did a beautiful job of restoring this movie and I'm very glad to have gotten to see it in 3D. The 3D is awesome and the actress playing the female monster is hot, but I literally never need to see this again. I get that some people love it, but I'm done.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
So, the question was, movies you will not watch again, you watch every Martin Short and Scheider picture? That seems an easy way to know not to watch those pictures, as you don't like the actors. I would think those would be pictures you would never watch.

I don't watch a lot of films. I have never seen a Transformers picture, a Fast & Furious film, a lot of the super hero movies of the last couple decades, so they would not make it onto my list because I have never seen them. If I know something probably won't be to my liking I just skip it and watch something I have an interest in.

I'll take it if this is true!
Was The General's Daughter the military
I'm just curious to know what 5% of Martin Short and Rob Schneider-starring movies he DID like!
None, I didn't have the heart to say 100%.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I've watched The Road a couple of times but I can see why you might not want to revisit it. The film is really faithful to the (great) book, and very well cast. It's an unusual film as it is only one act, there isn't a beginning and an incomplete ending. I felt very emotional when watching it for the first time, having a young son (a gun with one or two bullets).
Agreed. I think its a great movie, but the ending doesn't inspire rewatching.

Here is a bonus in case you didn't know.

There is a British band called The Editors, on the album Violence is a song based on The Road.

Tom Smith has revealed that he was inspired to write the song after reading Cormac McCarthy's novel The Road and the song has soon become established as part of Editors' live shows and a fan favourite.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks