What's new

5 Movies You'll NEVER Watch Again... (1 Viewer)

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
1) Funny Farm. (1988) Crap movie with a wretched script and an extremely unfunny Chevy Chase.

2) 95% of the movies with Martin Short starring.

3) 95% of the movies with Rob Schneider starring.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
2001 (1968) I saw this in film class. My professor, who I admire greatly, kept going on about it being one of the greatest films ever made. I thought it was beautiful but the most boring thing I had ever watched. I keep saying I should rewatch it to see if I would react differently now that I am older and supposedly wiser, but I just can't seem to gather enough enthusiasm to do it.
I don't think it will change. I love SF and can appreciate 2001 for its filmography, effects and a ton of other things. However the pacing is at times glacial and it just drags at times. I also had that issue with Ad Astra

I really enjoy 2010 and rewatch it 3X more than its predecessor.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I can name a lot of movies I've hated that I'll never watch again. And there are some I refuse to even so much as watch *once* ("Last Temptation Of Christ"). To me it's more challenging to think of something I didn't exactly hate but which I have no desire to sit through again. Top of the list would be the miniseries "Winds Of War" and in particular it's follow-up "War And Remembrance". I went through both series seven years ago after owning the DVDs for more than a decade and by the time I was done I felt like I needed an "I Survived!" t-shirt. The latter in particular which IMO turned the plight of Natalie and Aaron Jastrow into non-stop emotional sadism without let-up.

I have no desire to ever watch "Star Trek III" again because watching it would force me to acknowledge the resurrection of Spock and frankly, given how much I *hated* Star Trek IV to the point where it drove me out of Trek fandom forever for future projects (which is why I never saw any of the subsequent movies or TV spinoffs/prequels) I decided long ago that the Trek universe for me ends with "Star Trek II" and thus I prefer to regard Spock as still dead. Trek III I could have accepted long-term if only IV hadn't given me such a negative reaction.
As much as I disagree with your viewpoint, I do admire how you avoided seeing ST V: The Final Frontier.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Why does the DC universe only get to have one superhero team? Why can't they have more than one?
I don't think its a limit on the number of teams, I think its the reaction "Who are these goofballs?" that 95% of the viewers had. That was the most unimpressive superhero team I have ever seen.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
I think a better title for this thread is 5 movies YOU LOVE but will never watch again.

It now seems to be turning into just a “I hate these movies” thread.
The English Patient
Lost in Translation
The Royal Tanenbaums
The Aquatic Life with Steve Zisou
The Thin Red Line

The truth is I thought these films all had virtues, but I just couldn’t find a reason to rewatch (Except Zisou, just not my taste.)

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Joker (2019) is the most recent example of a film I don't feel like watching again. I felt this way after watching it in the cinema. I appreciate the craft - the acting, the production design, the direction - all of it.

But it was all very depressing and with nary a moment of catharsis or hope at the end.

(To cite another example, Avengers: Infinity War had a depressing, confounding finish as well, but at the time I knew there would be a follow-up, which was Endgame, and in addition it had that mid-credits scene which showed there was some hope out there.)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
This thread appears much more popular that I expected it to be. I’ll not participate with a list, but instead will share a story to illustrate why. In my younger days I had very narrow interests in the types of movies I liked. In 1985 when Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome came out, I decided to rent the original Mad Max to see what all the hype was about, and I absolutely loathed every minute of it, so much so that I never bothered with the sequels. Fast forward 30 years, Mad Max Fury Road comes out, and I watch (and love) that one, so I decide to give the original another try, and you know what? I discovered I’m now a fan of the franchise. My tastes and appreciation for cinema had drastically changed with my own maturity. I can say there are quite a few movies that I hated as a young person that I found new appreciation for as an old guy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Five of my very favorite movies of all time. I guess we won't be going to the movies together anytime soon :D
Actually, in response to you calling It's a Wonderful Live, The Grapes of Wrath and The Usual Suspects pieces of "shit", I picked those 5 movies from your all-time favorite movies list just to mess with you.:D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I don't think its a limit on the number of teams, I think its the reaction "Who are these goofballs?" that 95% of the viewers had. That was the most unimpressive superhero team I have ever seen.

Maybe because I remember the Justice Society from the comics - where it predated the Justice League - I liked the opportunity to see the JSA on the big screen.

Woulda preferred a standalone movie, as they kinda get crammed into "Black Adam", but still thought it was cool to see them.

Anyway, the post to which I replied seemed confused about why DC has more than one superhero team - that person apparently doesn't get why there'd be anything other than the JLA.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
This thread appears much more popular that I expected it to be. I’ll not participate with a list, but instead will share a story to illustrate why. In my younger days I had very narrow interests in the types of movies I liked. In 1985 when Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome came out, I decided to rent the original Mad Max to see what all the hype was about, and I absolutely loathed every minute of it, so much so that I never bothered with the sequels. Fast forward 30 years, Mad Max Fury Road comes out, and I watch (and love) that one, so I decide to give the original another try, and you know what? I discovered I’m now a fan of the franchise. My tastes and appreciation for cinema had drastically changed with my own maturity. I can say there are quite a few movies that I hated as a young person that I found new appreciation for as an old guy.
Yes most have tastes/likes/dislikes that are fluid. My example of this is The Big Lebowski. The first time I watched it, I didn’t like it a little bit, largely due to my comparing it to the Coens preceding film- Fargo. Maybe on my first viewing, I just wasn’t in the right mood for it either. Cut to some years later, I tried it again. I was in a better frame of mind, and I liked it so much better, warts and all. Lebowski is no Fargo, but it’s a lot of fun, if you’re in the mood for something whacky.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
If I "love" a movie I'll make time for it again at some point and will often rewatch it on a semi-regular basis.

That's true, and I have felt that way about several modern films that had Joey King in them-- one being White House Down, where she was Emily Cale, daughter of Capitol Police officer John Cale (Channing Tatum); I think her performance as Emily in that one was pivotal in why she is the icon she is in Tinseltown (it's one of 5 of hers I have on DVD/Blu [this one, Ramona and Beezus, Wish Upon and Bullet Train are the ones I have in the combo of both formats; Wish I Was Here is the only one for which I have DVD only]).

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
1) Funny Farm. (1988) Crap movie with a wretched script and an extremely unfunny Chevy Chase.

2) 95% of the movies with Martin Short starring.

3) 95% of the movies with Rob Schneider starring.

So, the question was, movies you will not watch again, you watch every Martin Short and Scheider picture? That seems an easy way to know not to watch those pictures, as you don't like the actors. I would think those would be pictures you would never watch.

I don't watch a lot of films. I have never seen a Transformers picture, a Fast & Furious film, a lot of the super hero movies of the last couple decades, so they would not make it onto my list because I have never seen them. If I know something probably won't be to my liking I just skip it and watch something I have an interest in.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The English Patient
Lost in Translation
The Royal Tanenbaums
The Aquatic Life with Steve Zisou
The Thin Red Line

The truth is I thought these films all had virtues, but I just couldn’t find a reason to rewatch (Except Zisou, just not my taste.)
Interesting list, I love 4 of those pictures but can't recall The English Patient at all. So, I probably did not like it. You list two Wes Anderson films, have there been any from him you liked?

It seems to me what is common on your list is that 4 of the films are a sort of quirky films in their genres. Lost is a quirky sort of romantic comedy, where the two characters kind of fall in love as friends not a romantic couple. The two Anderson films are obviously quirky comedies in his particular style, and The Thin Red Line is an odd contemplative war film where much of the action takes place inside characters heads.

The odd film out on your list, seems to me, is The English Patient as I don't recall anything quirky about that film. Pretty straightforward wasn't it?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I have never seen a Transformers picture, a Fast & Furious film, a lot of the super hero movies of the last couple decades, so they would not make it onto my list because I have never seen them. If I know something probably won't be to my liking I just skip it and watch something I have an interest in.

I've seen just one Transformers picture, and one F&F. In both instances, they turned out to be side movies to the franchise. In the former case, it was Bumblebee, which I hadn't known was part of the Transformers universe until I watched it. I neither liked nor disliked it. In the latter case, it was Hobbs & Shaw, which I watched after learning that it was directed by David Leitch, whose other films -- John Wick, Atomic Blonde, Deadpool 2, and Bullet Train -- I loved. It wasn't nearly as good as those other films of his, but it had its moments.

In general, I'm with you. I triage films and pass on the ones that don't look that interesting to me. I have no FOMO in this regard.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

I agree with this. The same thing has happened to me. Basically, in the 1980s when I was in my high school years, I was a real snob about movies. I could not stand a lot of what was going on in the 1980s, which to me is the decade that "franchising" became a thing. So, all the Friday the 13th, Halloween, Police Academy, multiple sequel, churn them out type of cash grab franchises just irritated me and I could not stand those films. Plus my friends all wanted to see and loved those movies.

So, I began going back to revisit all these movies and oddly, enjoyed the hell out of them. I could not stop laughing watching Police Academy and the sequels. Loved the Friday the 13th films. And even softened on the Halloween sequels and found one I really enjoyed, the one with Paul Rudd.

In the same vein, my feelings about films I love shift around. I love pictures like The Shining and The Exorcist, but having seen them many times, I've had some watches where I felt different about the film than I did before. I liked them less on some watches and more on others.

I saw the film Vanilla Sky in a cinema and really liked it. Then I saw it when it came out on blu and thought "What the hell did I like about this?"

Now I am curious to watch it again to see if the third time I see it I have a different reaction.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yes most have tastes/likes/dislikes that are fluid. My example of this is The Big Lebowski. The first time I watched it, I didn’t like it a little bit, largely due to my comparing it to the Coens preceding film- Fargo. Maybe on my first viewing, I just wasn’t in the right mood for it either. Cut to some years later, I tried it again. I was in a better frame of mind, and I liked it so much better, warts and all. Lebowski is no Fargo, but it’s a lot of fun, if you’re in the mood for something whacky.

So, first time I watched Lebowski (a film I love by the way) I could not help but be struck by how much cursing was in the film. I think one of my first comments about it was "That picture must have set a record for use of the F-word."

Oddly, on every other watch of the film, I hardly notice the cursing. The Coens are just a couple of the greatest filmmakers of all time. I think the kind of pictures they make though, which I find very sad, have fallen out of favor along with director driven films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks