What's new

5.1 versus 6.1/7.1 and more... (1 Viewer)

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Sounds like you have a good start..... hope you have a digital camera... I really want to see the progress on this project!

reed hunt

Agent
Real Name
Reed

Thanks for your ongoing assistance.

Yes, I have taken enough pics so far so that I can remember where everything is, once the walls go up...

Also, my install guy has taken notes and will make those available.

I asked this in an earlier thread but it probably was buried - What is the "generally accepted" (accounting term) way of interacting with an HT system, once installed? Specifically, are the new TVs capable of "waking up" all connected components or do I need some type of master receptacle that performs this? (basically, I don't want to have to turn each component of my system on and off every time I want to watch TV...)

Thanks again.:)

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
You do all that with one remote control.

I like the Home theater Master Series of Remote controls..

You would be best fitted with the MX-850 available through... http://www.smarthome.com/8062.html

Or the MX-3000. available through... http://www.smarthome.com/8054c.html

Both are RF (radio Frequence and IR) Can be pretty easily programmed by the user. with either remote you will need the wireless base station that will control all the equipment in your closet and keep only one remote on your coffee table to contol the entire system..

These are not a retail product, but if you can get your hands on the remote and software you should be able to figure it out. You'll have to either find an online dealer or local dealer. You can't go to any big box retailers for these remotes to my knowledge.

There are other remotes out there but be sure to get one that is RF not just IR. Also you can check ebay, but be sure that the software is included in the purchase. It used to be available on Remote Central, but they pulled the programming files off and are not available to the public anymore.

reed hunt

Agent
Real Name
Reed

Ouch, no give-aways there...Good to know, and I will probably search for alternatives when the time comes, though I realize they won't be inexpensive...

And of course a question - I now have power in the wall behind where the TV will go - do I need a dedicated source from the panel or is a standard outlet enough - let's say in particular for a plasma set?:)

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
You should be fine as long as there's not a lot on the circut. Your plasma shouldn't pull more than 300-500 watts. Of course you will want the plug up high (behind the TV) and not at the normal 14" off the floor. Same with where your pipe chase/video cables come out. If you are going plasma you want both the electric and the Video lines coming out behind the plasma.

reed hunt

Agent
Real Name
Reed

Steve,

Good, one less item to worry about. Agreed on the plug and cables exit - I should have pretty good access to the space behind the wall.

I will also now be able to get more closet access - my A/V guy is coming by again this weekend. I plan to ask for either one 3" conduit both into the attic and into the crawl or 2 2" pipes - any thoughts on one versus the other?

Also, I am considering using some existing speakers for my front three, even though the front side units are a bit big. Specifically, I have two Polk S4s and a Polk CS200 center channel speaker. I don't need or want "ultimate" sound so I assume these will work OK, the size of the Ss notwithstanding...?

For the rears, I am considering also using Polk, potentially either the TC60i, TC610i, SC80, or RC80i. Any love/hate comments and should I be considering other rear speakers in this price range that will match OK with my existing Polks?

Thanks all.

Edit - and I am also going to wire for a sub and at least 6.1, maybe 7.1 (currently have 5.1 in place) though the back wall is only 13 feet across...And, Polk's website has a link to NLA products, so I can re-read why I liked these products in the first place! I actually go way back with Polk, as I still have two Monitor 10Bs in their original boxes in storage - can't part with them. At the time, I almost chose the RT12 (RTA ?) (going purely from memory), as they had exceptional imaging but were just out of my price range...we're talking 20 or so years ago!

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
You might as well wire for all 8 speakers, that way you can go 5.1, 6.1(rear center) or 7.1 ( two additional sides).

The only thing I would check is the specs on all your speakers. Preferably they should all be matched, but at least have the specs as close as they can be. Check the efficiency rating for each speaker. Make sure they are matched.

If you stick with polk they will sometimes have the same exact driver in a different speaker enclosure. I know that's true with other manufactures and I'm sure polk does the same.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
As for he pipe chases either way will work. Probably depend on what size hole drill your installer has! It will probably be easier for him to run 2-2" if you walls are 2x4's, whatever he decides will work, but the panel's are built for a 2" incoming pipe so I would stick with the 2".

reed hunt

Agent
Real Name
Reed
OK, latest update.

I had my installer out again this past Saturday and I now have access to both the crawlspace and the attic via 3" tubing. The attic pipe is actually run all the way to and down into the wall behind where the TV will go. He also pulled a run of quad cable from my garage to my component closet (to-be) which will allow for future alternative communication choices...

I also had him drill for a sub (which he will run wire for on Monday, as he did not have any with him) and wire for an additional speaker, which will allow for a 6.1 system. Before anyone protests, the room is just too small for 7.1, he and I both agreed. And, if I ever felt I HAD to have it, I can now run it easily.

The one remaining thing to do (with the walls open) is have a dedicated power line run from the panel. I thought this had been done but it has not.

So, I am just about done with the "pre" stage - wallboard goes on later this week.

Thanks for all the help to-date, and I'm sure I'll be back for more!:laugh:

reed hunt

Agent
Real Name
Reed

Will do.

It looks like this site will host up to 50 (for me, at least) images - is this correct? That is, I don't have to link to a web page elsewhere, like other forums I belong to.

Thx.

reed hunt

Agent
Real Name
Reed
OK, I have uploaded pics into my new gallery, how do I link them into this thread?

Thanks.:crazy:

reed hunt

Agent
Real Name
Reed
I guess I can just add the link...

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/gall...g2_itemId=6572

Note that this is all still early in the process. It may help folks see what goes on behind the scenes - if so, great.

Thanks for the input on this one, gentlemen.

I won't have too much more to post for a while, as the rooms need to be finished and the budget reviewed. However, at least I have in place the wires and flexibility I need.
:)

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Looks like you have that nice and insulated!.. Looks like you have everything pretty well covered and then some!....

Can't wait to see the final pictures!

See you back when the install starts!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks