What's new

New setup and questions (1 Viewer)

MattJS

Grip
Hi all,

Still a noob, so forgive the clarity or lack thereof of the following questions...

Let's start with setup...

Sony STR-DA4ES
Polk RM6600 Speaker set

I am going to attempt my first tune-up this weekend using the S&V disc along with a radio shack SPL meter.

1. Is there anything to watch for when calibrating? In other words is there anything a rookie could screw up and not know it?

2. I have the front speakers mounted about 9 feet apart 5 feet from the floor with the TV (43" Mitsu RP) and the center channel speaker mounted very close to centered between them. I have the rears just behind the primary listening position, and about 6 feet off the floor. That said, this may not be the ideal speaker placement, but I had to do it while finishing the room, so I am pretty much stuck with the speakers where they are. What's the question you ask? Does calibrating the system help to make up for the mis-placement if any of this setup?

3. Does the S&V disc help as well with tuning the picture of the TV? I have some issues with DirectTV having some "wavy" effect as well as the guide menu seems to 'flex' slightly if you really look at it. This seems to improve slightly after the recvr warms up. Is this a result of routing the video through the recvr? Another problem I have noticed on the TV even before the HT was hooked up was a shadowing of white letters or stark white graphics. I am at a loss because I have tried fixing the convergence, but my eye still sees all 3 colors no matter which direction I move convergence of the lenses with the TV's basic setup.

4. Dumb question, but since I am really not familiar with how decoding is performed, Should I get 1 or 2 more rear channels since I am using a 7.1 decoder, or does a unit like mine 'know' when to use the 5.1 versus 6.1 or 7.1 setup? I would like to make sure I am getting the most until I can afford to add the other 2 rear channels.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can offer, I have done TONS of reading, but sometimes, it is hard to find really specific answers with the search function, it seems as if I am not looking for the right info, but hopefully that will change as I learn more, and feed the beast that now has a strangle hold on my wallet.

Regards,

Matt

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
1. calibrating audio is pretty simple. can't imagine you could seriously screw anything up. just don't crank it too loud. also, try to use a tripod to hold the spl. that way, your body won't "block" the sound from the speakers.
calibrating video can be a little tricky. you don't want to leave any test patterns on for too long - they may burn in your screen. but i think it would take quite a while for that to happen.
2. i would say "not really". bad speaker placement can adversely affect how they sound. place them too high and all the hi-frequency sound goes over your head, etc. but if you're stuck, then i suppose you're stuck. hopefully you're speakers have decent dispersion. as a test, move your head around and see if the speakers sound changes in any way. but, calibrating will ensure that the same amount of sound is coming out of each speaker - that will definitely help.
3. yes, s&v will assist with tv calibration. be sure to warm up the tv before calibrating! try running the video directly to the tv (vs. the receiver) and see if you notice any difference. it's possible the receiver is degredating the video signal...but i doubt it. most receivers these days do a pretty good job of passing the signal.
4. i don't have 6/7.1 capability, but i think as long as you select the appropriate audio track on the dvd, then the receiver will decode directly. someone else can answer this better than i. you will certainly need to add one (or two) more rear speakers.
hope that helps some...ask if you have any other questions!

MattJS

Grip
Thanks for the replies Ted.....

Onward and upward I guess until I am satisifed with the results.

Regards,

Matt

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
no problem matt - don't forget the most important rule of ht:
"Enjoy your gear and have fun!"
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks