What's new

5.1, 6.1, 7.1 and room size (1 Viewer)

Shane Harg

Second Unit
Yes, but it's more effects-based and not a huge thing. When you have a ship flying in from behind, for example, and going overhead, it actually sounds like it is flying in from overhead with 6.1/7.1 as opposed to 5.1, which gives more of an effect that the spaceship or airplane is coming in from the sides. In order to get the full effect, however, the back speaker(s) should be placed quite a ways (at least 3 feet) behind and above your head. Then, anything that is supposed to sound like it is flying over your head, will. And you WILL duck if that thing happens to be say, a flying object from an explosion.

The other thing is that not very many DVD titles are in native DD EX or DTS ES, so you will be left to use DPLIIx or DTS NEO to process native 5.1 soundtracks into 6.1/7.1, which isn't quite as convincing.

I only opted for 7.1 because I have the room and because it wasn't much more for me to buy an extra pair of matching speakers to make it happen. If your couch is up against the back wall and you can't spare the room to pull it out a few feet to accomodate the effect, I wouldn't bother with it, because again, it won't be as convincing. 14 feet, however, if this is to be the longitudinal viewing area, should be plenty to accomodate 6.1/7.1. If you go with 6.1, use a center speaker for a better effect. If you go 7.1, use two direct radiating speakers, not dipoles.

Buol

Auditioning
thanks,very helpful. because of the couch position, i'll probably go w/the 5.1 setup for now but include a receiver that can do 6.1/7.1 for possibly upgrade. probably the pioneer vsx 815k which is well reviewed. now i just have to find the speakers to use!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks