What's new

6.1 setup questions (1 Viewer)

zamboniguy420

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Hello everyone. First time poster and hoping you guys can answer some questions I have. Right now I have a 5.1 setup using a Pioneer vsx-1018ha. I was thinking about upgrading to a 7.1 speaker setup but due to the room size and shape I believe a 6.1 setup would be better. Now for my questions...

1. If I am using a 6.1 speaker setup. If sounds are meant for my surround left or right speaker, will those sounds come through the rear center as well? If so, doesn't that kill the surround effect? Or is that rear center speaker used for it's own thing?

2. What if I watch a DVD or Blu-Ray that is only recorded in 5.1 OR 7.1 with a 6.1 speaker setup? How is the rear center used?

3. Are many DVDs or Blu-Rays even made for 6.1 setups? or 7.1?

Thanks for any help!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I think I can answer this one. With SBch decoding set to "on", and dolby pro-logicIIx engaged, 5.1 source material will extract a matrixed SB channel from the SL and SR.

6.1 sources will come though perfectly matched to your speaker setup. 7.1 sources will fold SBR and SBL into a single SB. Just make sure that in the setup menu you have selected "one" for the number of surround back speakers and the the single speaker is connected to SBL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks