What's new

4805 Coming from AVS (1 Viewer)

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Howdy,

After trying to keep up with the 250 page thread at AVS about the 4805 and reading up on it here, I was really thinking of getting one, but hadn't seen any modern projector at any resolution in person.

Well, then I discovered that AVS is in Rochester, NY, which is where I live, and I called Jason Turk. It just so happened that Jason had just replaced the high end DLP projector in his basement demo room with the 4805, so I went over for a look this morning.

I was very impressed- it was running in a dedicated (very nice!) HT room at around 102", and I was sitting around 13 feet back, so actually a little closer than 2x screen width. I could sort of see screen door if I really tried, but also wasn't sure how much was texture from the particular screen he was using which has a tendency to sparkle a little bit. The overall effect was pretty killer. I didn't see any rainbows, but did have a bit of eye strain/motion sickness after watching it for about 45 minutes or so. I've read that's very common, and will stop after a short while of watching. For reference, my current tv is only 27", so I'm trying to focsu really hard on a small portion of the screen the whole time. . .

Anyway, I was sold, considering the price point. AVS is selling them now for $1349, which is a great price, and to top that off, Jason will stop by after I've got it up, help me get set up, and then calibrate it for me at no charge. Wow.

So, here we go. I'm finishing up my 4 x 15" Dayton IB Infinite Baffle subwoofer this week as well, and should have a fun room when I'm done.

Wes

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
I'm definitely interested in this projector, but am worried about rainbows. A friend recently got the BenQ pb6200 which has a 3x color wheel, and I could definitely see rainbows now and then. A bit annoying. I know that the 4805 has a 4x color wheel, and that there's more things being done besides color wheel speed to reduce the effect, but hopefully I'll catch the 4805 somewhere in action to see if I'm screwed. Stupid eyes. ;)

terence

Supporting Actor
Well let me tell you guys this!

I just got my 4805 yesterday and i finally got around to looking @ it tonight & WOW! This thing is incrediable! It's performance is has past my exspectaions along with the Carada 88" 1:78 to 1 16:9 High Contrast Grey screen. No more RPTV's for me i'm "HOOKED" The only way i'm gonig back is.... you will have to pry the 4805 from my cold dead hands! The color is naturel with snap, and RBE is very rare it depends on the dvd. I only saw it on Matrix Revolutions twice. One last praise Spider-Man (Superbit) looked like i was watching real life thru a window, almost looked like Hi-Def.

Darren,

If you can, definatly go and see the 4805.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Just fyi I got a heads up from another member here of a place that quoted us $1289. To be honest though, I wish I went with the deal here that included a free Da-Lite screen for $1500. Screens aren't cheap and the DIY options are lacking imo.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I love my 4805, best $ I ever spent, I am so much happier than if I bought an RPTV or even a plasma. Sure plasmas have a wow kewl factor, but to see your favorite dvd or tv show on a wall 2-4x's the size of most of these is really a WOW factor :D And in conjunction with my Zenith DB318 dvd player, the picture is really impressive.

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
ScottL,

Let us know if that price is good. I remember seeing that price a while ago, but that deal's been gone for several weeks. If there's a new one out there, that's good to know, as that's a very good price.

Also, I'm DIY my screen only as far as a frame goes- I'm buying the actual Stewart material. I agree, I'm not going to mess around with painting my own screen or something- I'm just not that good.

Should be fun. . .

Wes

terence

Supporting Actor

Yeah i agree, and just think i was going to spend close to $4,000 on a Toshiba 65" RPTV. Now i have 23" more for way less $$$$! Man got to love it! I could never get my wife to ever say WOW about HT gear, but that has changed since she seen the projector combo.

Eric D Wong

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds good, I havent visted the AVS forums but I think I saw a few pages of that thread. I am tossed up between the 4805 and the BENQ 6200. Things that concern me- the 4805 has only 700 lumens when then ben Q is 1700. Also the resolution isnt as good.

But on the + sides, the 4805 has a 4x color wheel (vs 3), and is native in 16x9 mode. Also has component RCA inputs and speakers.

I also plan to get the 80" wide x 44" 16:9 InFocus screen that permanently attaches to the wall.

I will probaly be using it alot, like a regular TV although I really dont watch that much TV.....

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Eric, I'd suggest reading some reviews at projectorcentral or something. Apparently, specs given by the company (ahem, BenQ) aren't always as accurate as they'd like you to believe. Just food for thought.

Paul-D

Stunt Coordinator
I have also been looking at this projector. I could get it with a Draper Lumina 106" screen for $1599. Is this a good deal at all? Anybody else seen any other better deals??

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks