What's new

3rd flat in 2 weeks... (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Somebody's after me!!!! I've had 3 flats in the past two weeks. I ran over some glass (unavoidable) about 24 miles into a century ride last Sunday on my Seven road bike. Then that wednesday, after work the bike gang and I were mountain biking and I had a pinch flat on my Santa Cruz... Now this morning on my commute in to work, another flat on my commuter bike, my Lemond. All on the rear tire and I presume this flat was glass since it was a very small leak. Funny since my last flat was all the way back in May until now where I get 3 in 2 weeks. Boy, I patched all the tubes except for the pinch flat one which I tossed as it wasn't worth it to patch those. Somebody is after me I think
crazy.gif

Now, I need to do another mass tube ordering, if I keep getting flats commuting, I'm going to get some SpinSkins tire liners on my commuter wheels..
Jay

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I got 2 on my bike within a week, but I managed to fix them. When the 3rd one showed up a few days later, I just said screw it, I need a new tire.
When the mechanic took the tire off he pulled out a nail 7" long! I had gone about 50 miles on it.
Glenn

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator
One time I road through a thorn patch and when all was said and done, I had ~100 thorns in both tires. Needless to say, both tubes were tossed.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
On the 2nd day of my big ride of this year, I had 2 flats-the first one causing me to lose contact with my clubmates early in the A.M.
There were support vehicles, and I never venture out without 2 spare tubes, a patch kit and a spare tire, so my day was not entirely ruined.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I usually have one tube and a patch kit. Only in my commuter I would even have room for an extra tire, unless I brought my "camelback" Jim, have you had bad luck with tires? One can always use a tire boot if your sidewall gets ripped at least to a certain extant. I tend to ride on Continental tires, but I've heard some people say their sidewalls aren't as strong. However, IME, I've had no problems with them so far so good.
Glenn
smile.gif
They always say to check the tire to make sure that the object is not still there. I admit that many times I either forget or don't but a 7" nail must have been a trip!
Seems like the cheapest source of tires is lickbike.com gonna be ordering a huge bucket of tubes... Getting all sizes and lengths, except for the tubes for my Zipp deep-V rims which need 80mm stems. The ONLY source I've found for these is Vredestein at Excelsports.com and they are like $15 EACH... ouch!
Jay

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I can't remember ever using my spare tire on the road, but just want to be prepared in case I have a problem that can't be fixed with a boot when I'm on a long solo ride. I get a folding tire and strap it up under my pack, like the folks that use sewups sometimes do.
My motto of "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it." often leaves me carrying extra stuff. I know it partially defeats the purpose of owning a sub-20# bike, but it makes me feel better.
I've had good luck with Continentals and Avocet Fasgrip Ks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks