What's new

Shocked that I'm actually considering the Vizio VP-505VXT (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
In light of my recent home break-in, I'm back looking at flatscreen TVs.

I was almost all set on the Panasonic TH-50PZ800U, but then I read that Costco has the Vizio VP-505VXT 1080p plasma for $1200 + tax (which is 1/3 less than the 800U that I was eyeballing), and while there are some minor deficiencies, the benefits just might outweigh them.

VIZIO

Cheap Vizio plasma gives great picture | Crave - CNET

Vizio VP505XVT Flat-panel TV reviews - CNET Reviews

This particular model uses the Panasonic glass screen (virtually same black levels as with Panasonic plasma models), and offers something I really want: picture-in-picture and picture-outside-picture. My old Panasonic TH-50PX600U had side-by-side Pip, which proved useful when I wanted to keep tabs on a sporting event, but also wanted to make a dent in catching up on weekly TV shows. More recent models don't offer this feature, so I thought it made the Vizio worth exploring.

It also features HQV, which is supposed to improve on 480i, 480p, as well as the high-def material.

Buying it at Costco means a 90-day return policy, and you get 2 years of warranty coverage, and you might also get a 3rd year of coverage if you use your American Express credit card (though no one is definitively sure about this 3rd year of warranty coverage, but it may be worth some time calling AMEX and finding out).

Anyone else have any experience with this model?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
yuck
Isnt the insurance company paying for replacement coverage ??

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

You mean of a 720p HDTV set (which was 2 years old)? That's like $1000 from them at this time. I doubt I'll see but half of what I spent on that Panasonic TH-50PX600U set from the insurance company since flatscreens have gone down in price.

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith

Don't know about your insurance company, but mine will pay what it takes for you to go out and buy a new tv, which would probably be in the $1500-2000 range for an 800u, considering you can't get the 600u anymore.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
But I'm guessing my insurance company will fork over the dough for a 720p HDTV set, which, in the 50" range, will be about $1000-$1200 MSRP.

Brent_S

Second Unit
Sorry to hear about your break in. Did you already mention it somewhere else and I missed it?

UltimateAV certainly liked the Vizio.

For replacement insurance, you should be looking at the current brand/model equivalent of the stolen TV for value, not a generic 720p price range. Depending on the adjuster, if you can produce a receipt for the stolen TV, you may be able to just get a value from that or an agreement to reimburse you that amount once you buy a new TV of the same/similar value. I doubt they'll get into matching specs to make sure you replace like with like...that could get really complicated on the insurers behalf and would probably cost more in time/labor than they would lose for the occasions where the current equivalent is cheaper than the lost item.

The bigger concern is the chance your coverage amount is too low for the stolen electronics. Your post reminds me that I never got a call back and never followed up myself when I noticed after several years of coverage that the standard limit for my electronics coverage is only $1500. :eek: That's the standard Nationwide amount on a policy that will rebuild a 2800 ft^2 house with outbuildings, including inflation coverage for the building materials and an overall belongings value totalling way more than we own in stuff, including both SUVs if they happened to be in the garage at the time of catastrophe! Gotta watch that fine print, or not so fine print in this case...I just didn't read closely enough after seeing the grand total of coverage. Apparently electronics are now similar to furs, diamonds, guns, and other "specialty" items that require additional coverage riders. Good luck!

-Brent

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

Sheesh, I guess I need to go read up on my insurance policy limit as well, if I'm capped at $1500, I'm pretty screwed in terms of the rest of the stuff that was stolen. Ah, well, easy come easy go, I suppose.

I'm also guessing a like-for-like replacement of the TV would be the current Panasonic TH-50PX80U (which doesn't have some nice extras that my 600U had, and which is why the new Vizio model intrigues me, and had me start this thread).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks