What's new

3803 Setup Questions (1 Viewer)

Mike Pollmann

Stunt Coordinator
I just got my Denon AVR-3803 yesterday from 6th Ave. I spent all night getting it all wired up and moved onto the configuration. I had a few questions for the experts out there.

First of all, my speakers are (All Paradigm): Fronts: 5se MK2, Center: CC-350, Surround: Mini Monitor, Sub: PS-1000, No Back surround speakers.

1) After setting all speakers to "small", setting the crossover frequency at 80 Hz, and setting the delay distances, I started to do channel level settings. I used the internal test tones and configured all channels to read 75 dB on my SPL meter. Afterwards, I fired up Avia and used their 5 channel balance to set everything to 75 dB again (as a verification mostly). What I noticed is that the Avia test tones registered the two surround channels about 2 dB lower. I could flip back and forth between internal tones and Avia. Internal tones were even. Avia always had those 2 surrounds as 2 dB lower.

Ultimately, I ended up setting it all correctly with Avia. Can anyone tell me what's going on here? Am I perhaps doing something wrong? When it was calibrated according to the internal test tones, the surround channels seemed a bit soft during movies.

2) What does the "Audio Compression Down-Mixing" setting do in the Dolby Digital setup section?

3) Can channel levels be set by source? I noticed if I hit the enter/channel button while on an input, I can cycle through levels. I wasn't sure if this affected things globally or just the one source.

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure I'll have more later. :D

Thanks for the help,
Mike

John S

Senior HTF Member
I can help with some of that...

The downmix is to record 2 channel Dolby Prologic from a multi-channel source.

2db on the levels is strange somewhat, but maybe not all white noise is created equal??? lol if it were anymore than that, it would be really strange for sure.

I think the channel levels are set by Mode, even though the channel levels would give the impression that it is set by source. I think I remember one time, changing them, then going to another input that used the same DSP mode, and they were indeed reset for the other source as well.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
The channel levels are by input (and I think maybe source also). I have my sub set on the CD input 2 db lower, and it is always 2 db lower no matter what DSP I use. It does not change the global settings.

As a side note, to turn the sub off for an input, just set the sub level as low as it goes and it will be turned off for that input only.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit, I have not played with any of that stuff since my intital setup was done......

I am upgrading to HDTV, I think a new full system setup will be due at this time, video and audio.

Thanks for the post on it....

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
According to the Denon 3803 manual, the playback mode is remembered by signal type sent to each input (although this can be turned off in the master system setup.) And the channel levels/mode tweaks are remembered by mode.

Brian and I have had different outcomes in this. His 3803 remembers these settings by input. Mine does not and is as the book notes.

If others would like to post their setup experiences, I (and I imagine Brian) would be interested to see how yours works...

Chris Bedard

Stunt Coordinator
I too tried leveling the sound with the internal speakers, and then with Video Essentials. I found that the sound levels were different compared between the too, for me the right surround was 2 db lower with VE than with the internal tones, and the Front Right was 1db lower with VE than with internal tones. I calibrated with VE since I trust that more than the internal sounds, and have used it for years.

As far as the channel levels being adjustable by mode: I didn't even know we could do it like that on the remote. Good news!!! I kept having to go into the internal test tone mode to adjust it cause I don't read the manual. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks